“place ok, well located and friendly hippies staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Galileo Hostel

Galileo Hostel
Montreal, Canada
“place ok, well located and friendly hippies staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

A good place, easy going and the bakery behind sell good sandwich.15 min. of walk from bus terminal...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

The staff were wonderful, going out of their way to be helpful. We loved the 2nd floor patio, looking out over La Sabana Park. The hostel is one block away from Calle Central, a major road with lots of buses and taxis. The atmosphere was fun and youthful, and seemed to attract people with a positive adventurous spirit. There was plenty of drinking and partying every night, and live music. The hostel also had free internet on a desktop and via WiFi.

The main drawback was the level of cleanliness. The kitchen was swarming with flies and dirty dishes. The trash bins for dirty toilet paper were often overflowing. To be fair, the hostel was in the middle of renovations, so it might be better when the staff don't have their hands full with construction. Also, the rooms were tiny and very crowded. People were packed into the hallways to sleep.

Overall, it felt safe and fun, which is probably the most important thing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2010

I booked this hostel based on the reviews that I read, which mostly are very good, however my husband and I had many issues with this hostel.

We booked this hostel in advance and due to the Christmas period they were very busy leaving us with a room for 2 with bunkbeds; this was only for a few days so we weren't too bothered. Upon arrival we received a nice welcome and then we were shown the 'rules', one of which included showering regularly! Apparently this was because a previous family were smelly....I was amazed that they even had the audacity to write this on their massive blackboard as a rule...it was portrayed to be a joke but the signs in the shower rooms saying that showers were mandatory didn't convince me. In fact the whole place was covered with notices and signs of what people could and couldn't do. I understand in a hostel setting you need to lay some ground rules down but this was ridiculous; everywhere was a note telling you things that were common sense.

The room itself was in fact a cupboard with a bunk bed assembled inside (there is no other way they could have got it in) and the gap between the bed and the wall barely fit a person or a backpack. This was far too small for 2 people, or for one person for that matter! The blanket on the bed smelt that it had never been washed and the colour on the walls was nauseating.

Funnily enough, amongst all the notes and rules on how to live there was no rule asking that the guests respect each other and not too make too much noise when its late. On the first night we were initially woken by the boys in the next room shouting ( which was actually part of our room but a wall had been erected to split the room, though the job wasn't completed well and there was a gap by the windows) and then near 2am we were awoken again by a group of guests sat on the balcony near our window shouting, screaming and laughing and around the same time one of the owners was outside talking loudly with someone. This all led to a rubbish nights sleep for us both and it amazed me that this was tolerated and not managed by the owners.

The place was packed always and I was amazed to find out have they have around 40 beds...in a fairly small, unkempt, badly painted and messy building. To us this just showed as greediness and lack of interest in the quality of someones stay...especially when the social areas are so small. We also found the staff to be cliquey and sometimes felt as if we had invaded their home. My clothes were also stolen from the bathroom after I forgot to pick them up after my shower; a result of my carelessness but it surprised me that they were not handed in. I also agree with a previous review about the beer, one staff member told me that it was "the cheapest beer in town" however between $3 - $5 a beer, depending on import, is not "cheap" in my eyes especially when it is a small can!

Generally I can see why it has been giving good reviews, because on the surface it looks pretty cool but when you look closer it really isn't that great and you can do a million times better. Instead of a community hostel it is a is greedy dictatorship....I guess if you want an overbearing big brother then go here but if you are a traveller with common sense and maturity you should find somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Guacimo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

Very nice staff, about as clean as can be expected for a hostel, festive atmosphere

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Miami, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

...The staff and fellow hostellers were cool, friendly with a loose eclectic & carefree vibe. Unfortunately that also applies to the condition of the building, rooms, general cleanliness and the shower water temperature. I mean I get it. It’s cheap ($7- 6 bed dorm), so just pull up a worn beanbag chair & chill... but there are better much hostel accommodations to be had, closer to downtown.
POS/ staff, house pets, vibe, easy to get to/from AP by bus, did I mention cheap?
NEG/ rundown, zero hot water, 35 min. walk to city center, did I mention rundown?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank BILLBROWNMiami_USA
West Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

At first glance, i thought that the place was pretty cool.
It puts up a great front.
But once I got to know the managers and their rules, I realized how fake they are.

They advertise $9 rooms, but they're always full and you need to book far in advance for those rooms.
Their attitude bugs me the most, and the managers talked down to me at every moment they had. Whether they were criticizing my Spanish, or my movie choice, or my favorite Costa Rican City.
They offer a free shot of fire water when you check in, but it's mostly coconut water.
They overcharge for liquor at their bar (by $1 per beer),
AND THEY FORBID BRINING OUTSIDE LIQUOR.
so I'm forced to drink in the streets to save $5 fora buzz , thats safe (no its not).

if your in the area, go to the Molino Rojo Hostel (google: molino rojo hostel costa rica).
They are friendlier, better location, faster computers, allow outside food and liquor, continental breakfast, and not as big so its not as crowded with people.

Dont hesitate to interrogate me.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ErrrBody
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

In our late 50's, we arrived at galileo after a red eye flight. Brian and Meredith have a hostel gold mine! Great safe, secure accommodation, lots of art work, atmosphere, and interesting people here, not to mention the very helpful staff, TYSON and his lovely lady friend, also the undercover special forces agent, IRON MAN, from west virginia! We always travel with ear plugs, a common complaint of any hostel environment is noise. we slept like babies. At about 24 bucks a nite for a private room, it is affordable. Did you know that a hostel dorm bed in new york is 45 a nite, a dorm bed in venice beach california is 90 a nite!!! Try the soda de tapia, just a 100 yard walk, some of the best priced food in costa rica as you watch the street scenes of san jose. The mercado central is about a 15 minute walk, also a must see. Thanks for the hospitality and happy hour at the pineapple bar, dave and joyce wilson, los angeles california

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple