“Don't go there, the worst hostel we've ever been” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Pangea

and 1 more site!
Hostel Pangea
holland
“Don't go there, the worst hostel we've ever been”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

We are traveling a lot, and never had such a bad experience as in this hostel . The problem was that there was no chance to sleep in this hostel, because of a rockband above our heads. And the (cocaine using) staff didn't take any reponsibility and were really rude to us and laughing about us. They told us that the band was playing there every evening, but they were outside and they couldn't do anything about it. The rockband started playing above our heads at 9pm. and it didn't stop all night long (we had a plane to catch the next morning at 5 am).
When the rockband was still playing at 11pm, I went to the reception because I saw new people checking in. But they told us there were no other rooms left and that they were not responsible. We didn't get our money ($30) back either because they don't do refunds. So they let us pay 30 dollars to hear the worst rockband of costa rica banging on our heads all night long.

When we went again to the reception at 2 'o clock in the night (when the rockband was still playing) they yelled at us that it was not their problem. Luckily some other people from the rooms that were beside ours heard them yelling and came complaining too (They had complained earlier in the evening too). And guess what? All of a sudden they had 4 empty rooms at another part of the hostel and we finally got another room.... So at least we slept one hour for $30...
I think this happens every night and they rent the 'rockbandrooms' during the day (when there's not yet a rockband playing). And people that arrive at the hostel at night get other rooms (because otherwise they would hear the rockband and wouldn't take the room).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

I went to this place since my friends liked it and said the prices were good. We arrived at 11:30 am and were told the rooms were not ready until 2pm. We asked for a triple private room with a private bathroom. I explained my need for privacy to the receptionist, whom laughed in a friendly manner. We left our luggage and went out to explore. Upon coming back at 2pm we were given our key and told were to go. Upon finding the room it turned out to be in a basment like area. The room even smelled like mold. There was also no bathroom. Upon asking the receptionist to put us in the correct room, he denied my ever asking for a private bathroom, refused to give me one and went about explaining there were no triple rooms with a private bathroom. Had he told me earlier we would have rented two rooms instead. I was dissapointed in his lack of compassion and bad service. The fact also being the three of us spent over $50 for this room, no refund, when a hotel would have given us something much nicer.
I write this so if others decide to go here make sure you check out what you are getting before paying. If not the Hotel Doral may be a better option (as I have found out). They have private bathrooms, with hot water, a TV in the room and it is located in the middle of town, along the no car zone, and the price is $18pp with breakfast. Go there instead.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2008

I'll admit, I only stayed here one night after travelling the country before taking a flight back. But after having stayed in dozens of hostels around the world, I know a thing or two. Amenities-wise, this hostel was hard to beat. There was a pool, a bar, a restaurant, free internet, and a shuttle to the airport (not free). The security seemed pretty tight, there was a security guard, and a steel fence in front of the main door. We paid $14 each for a private room. There were toilets and sinks just down the hall from our room, but it was a bit of trick to find the showers. This hostel seems to have taken over different buildings at different stages, so the hallways and stairs can be a bit confusing. The bar serves domestic beer for 1.25, and burgers/sandwiches for 4-5. There seemed to be a good mix of people, so I'm sure it would be a good place to stay for a few days to get your bearings and figure out where to go from here.

• Liked — amenities
  • Disliked — noisy, and complicated hallways and stairs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

Pangea is pretty cool, the staff and rules are strict, but not more than necessary. They have plenty of free internet and a nice bar and pool. There is a 2nd floor deck overlooking the city skyline. They closed the 3rd floor dance floor, but there are still plenty of common areas to exchange travel stories with everyone in. Overall, its a safe place to stay if you are backpacking through Central America.

• Liked — Easy Internet and phone access
  • Disliked — difficult to find
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

The staff were very helpful with telling me how to get around the city and recommending places to go & stay in Costa Rica and i felt welcome here. It is a good place to go if you are traveling alone because there are lots of young people there and always someone to talk to. The pool/bar/restaurant were a plus. When I go back to San Jose I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
costa rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

My friends and I stayed here for almost three weeks, but were forced to leave on Halloween night during their Halloween party. That I am sure will be a night I remember forever... and I hope the most scared I ever have to be. We came home to a drunken staff that night, one of the members started a fight with one of my friends. We thought everthing was over until one by one the staff of Pangea took turns beating my friend and holding myself and two other girls back so we were helpless watching our blood soaked friend be beaten... I seriously thought that he was going to die! Somehow, luckily my friend had a chance to get free and ran down the street while a few were still chasing him (one being the owner of the hostel!) I ran after and was able to get him to the hospital. When I returned, I was scared to death because I had left my other friends there with the insane staff and I wasn't sure if they had turned on them. Luckily, my other friends were safe and all of my things were outside on the street for me to pick up. San Jose is an extremely dangerous city, but that night I felt safer by myself in the streets than inside the walls of Hostel Pangea! Please contact me if you need to, I would like to try and press charges.

• Liked — It was close to the place that I worked
  • Disliked — Thinking that the staff might actually kill my friend
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
PERTH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

From the moment we arrived I could see it wasn´t going to be an enjoyable stay. The exterior of the hostel is about as welcoming as a developing world prison. The security man was rude and unwelcoming as were the two on reception. Nasty.

The walls are painted mainly in a vile green colour, and the stairs and some of floors are metal grated, like a prison. As another reviewer pointed out, there are no windows so there is no natural daylight, which adds to the grim atmosphere. The bathrooms are all shared and in poor shape, and not looked after at all. Dirty!

The place had a strange atmosphere even in the upstairs restaurant area. The whole place attempts to be some kind of modern alternative backpackers but it does not work. Ít discourages friendly communication which is part of what should be the backpacking experience. Also, this part of town is really dire and has nothing going for it. Coupled with the rude, surly staff who behave like prison wardens and seem to forget people are actually paying to stay there, not serving a sentence, I recommend staying anywhere else in town.

I would have checked out after 5 minutes but we were too tired and it was quite late, so we endured the place for one night.

• Liked — PCs
  • Disliked — Staff and bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
#2 of 79 in San Jose
Aldea San Jose
Aldea San Jose
#5 of 79 in San Jose

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!