“what you'd expect”
Review of Hostel Pangea

Hostel Pangea
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Their website was pretty accurate. The other trip advisor reviews about rude staff are also somewhat accurate, although a few of the older staffers seemed genuinely concerned that my friend and I were taken care of.
The bar and restaurant were very nice.
The whole place is surrounded by barbed wire and there's a man who guards the front door (you have to show your wristband to gain access).
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people who are sensitive to noise: it's not really very quite.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostel Pangea

Reviewed July 11, 2008

Okay, so the good things:
Great rooftop bar upstairs, supercool view.
Excellent vibe, good crowd if you'd like to meet people.
Tiny, but lovely swimming pool to lounge around or to take a dip in.
Free internet.
Location during day: not too far a walk from the city center.

And now the bad things:
Horrible staff attitude. Very snooty for some reason I couldn't grasp. Take a chill pill, guys.
Nickle and diming: I realize that this is a backpacker's hostel, but come on.
The rooms have no soundproofing, so be prepared to stay up if the neighbors choose to do so.
Location during night: step out only if you'd like to know what a mugging feels like.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed in Pangea last night and were so dissappointed that we checked out this morning and went to another hostel.

Why didn´t we like it?

Reception staff was very rude to us at check-in (we´re a couple and not young girls; they got lots of attention by the male staff who thinks that they are the world)

Paying $28 for a dbl room without bathroom and then find a tiny little box, no fan, no ventilation, no bin, no shelves, just a bed. What a load of money for a crappy room! (they leave the room open after cleaning and before check-in, we figured out why: after a few hours strolling through town we came back to our room and the smell of previous occupants hit us in the face when we opened the door)

No kitchen use, while they boost about it on their website and the only place you can consume your own food/drinks is the pool, the garden is used as an parking area!

Food is expensive, just go to one of the 3 nice places on your left when you walk out of the hostel.

Money making seem to be their main goal; washing ONLY $9!! playing pool ONLY $2 for 30min; towels ONLY $1, you´ve got to be kiddin'!!

Free 10-calls only to America & Canada, what a load of ....... Are they the only people they cater for, how about the rest of the world!!!

On check-out we mentioned what we did not like about the room and instead of an listening ear and "oh, I am sorry to hear this, but I will pass this on to our Management" the arrogant staff member just said: " We've never had complaints before, you are the first". Sure, I don´t think they have ever visited this site then.

Maybe a nice place when you are travelling by yourself, but I would not recommend it if you are travelling with more persons.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2008

We´ve been travelling for 2 months all over Central America and this is by far the worst experience that we´ve had.

The rooms are okay, nothing special, and the facilities are quite good, but what really spoils this place is how rude and uncaring the staff are.

They were rude and untrusting throughout our stay and after having paid for the pleasure we were effectively chucked out as they do not allow you to even stay in the hostel a minute beyond check out time of 11am.

All in all I wouldn´t recommed this place to any one.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I have stayed in a lot of the more backpacker-type hostels around the world, and I have to say, this was one of the worst. It is located in a pretty dodgy area of San Jose and having to knock on a door so a guard can look at you through a small slot and make sure you are not crazy was not very welcoming.
They do not accept credit cards and right from check-in we felt like they were trying to squeeze as much money from you as possible. This is totally normal, but they were not very nice about it...I don't appreciate being charged 2$ to play a game of pool on a [-] table.
There is an upstairs bar/restaurant/dance floor/multi-computer internet area/balcony and a downstairs pool (not very inviting) that I will admit is pretty cool. The food is gross and overpriced but if you are travelling alone, this may be a great place to meet fellow backpackers. Another money steal - they have no kitchen for you to cook in and do not allow you to bring outside food/drink to the upstairs area where everyone is hanging out.
My girlfriend and I (note to fellow travellers, not a romantic/couples type of place) booked the only private room with private bath for 30$ a night and it was totally a rip-off. We LITERALLY found bugs IN OUR BED and the sheets were not clean (luckily we brought our own). The private bath that we paid more to get was really dirty and there was NO hot water (there was supposed to be). There were wires sticking out of the showerhead and we were afreaid we would get electrocuted. Really a gross/dirty place and I am not one who generally cares about this kind of stuff.
Maybe the worst part was we booked the hostel shuttle to take us to the airport the next morning and asked for a 5am wakeup call (that they offered). Well, no wakeup call ever came, luckily my gf couldn't sleep due to the fear of bugs so we got up in time. BUT, our 530am shuttle didn't end up leaving until 615 and we barely made our flight!! We were trying to get refunds for the shuttle to just take a taxi but of course, No Refunds Allowed at this greedy institution!

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank WorldTravellingLaker
Reviewed January 9, 2008

This was the first and last places we stayed at during out trip to Costa Rica. Staff was very helpful and easy to contact before even arriving. The airport pickup/drop-off shuttle was very convenient and timely! (They waited to pick us up when our flight was delayed late at night!)

The hostel has a bar, restaurant, and and a great view of the city on the roof. There's a pool and lounge area outside downstairs as well. We felt safe and secure inside as the front door is securely monitored all the time. All the walls and ceilings are completely covered in bright, vivid hand painted murals. For a hostel in the heart of San Jose, Costa Rica, this is a great place.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I have stayed in alot of hostels and am what you call a "budget traveler." This is the worse hostel I have ever stayed in. The main draw is the rooftop bar and pool, while these are nice they are not as nice as they claim to be. The rooms are small, dirty and extremely uncomfortable. The shared bathrooms are also small and dirty. Towls come at a charge and there are no safes in the rooms. I was kept awake all night by outside traffic, voice downstairs and worse, the guy snoring in the room next to me. The walls as well as mattress at too thin. I would never stay here again and would not recommend it. There are better places to stay in San Jose.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 77 in San Jose
Hostel Casa Del Parque
Hostel Casa Del Parque
#3 of 117 in San Jose Metro

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!