“A Must Stay for All”

Hostel Pangea
Charleston, West Virginia
“A Must Stay for All”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

As the taxi stopped and I looked up at what seemed to be a pile of tin marked “Hostel Pangea” I thought, “O, God, what have I got myself into?!”. My opinion quickly changed, however, as soon as I opened the door. I was immediately welcomed by bright colorful paintings covering every wall and a friendly staff greeting me excitingly. “Hello, Ms. Pack,” they said, “How are you? How was your trip?”. A nice, smiling man quickly and efficiently worked to find my reservation, give my keys, and answer any questions I had. “If you need anything else,” he said, “please let us know.”

I continued to be impressed as I discovered my room and the rest of the facilities. The rooms were very secure with key-card access only, and the beds and bath areas were very nice and clean. Hostel Pangea at first seems small and cozy, but it didn’t take me long to find the many rooms and areas including a swimming pool, large bar, and many computers. Not to mention, they had a great area for charging devices and a theater room as well!

Possibly the best thing about Hostel Pangea is how secure it is. My first night there, a friend from San Jose stayed with me, so we spent most of the night hanging out at the bar and exploring San Jose. When we went out, we experienced no problems catching taxis or having taxis take us back. ALL taxi drivers know about the hostel. And, when you come into the hostel, you’re immediately greeted by a friendly guard who checks your wrist band to make sure no strangers are coming into the facilities. The staff takes many precautions to make sure guests feel safe, and the entire time I was there, I never felt that I or my belongings were ever in jeopardy. Being a single traveler, that is of utmost importance.

I highly recommend Hostel Pangea to any traveller making a stop in San Jose. The staff is great, the accommodations are exceptional, and, very importantly, it’s safe. Hostel Pangea is definitely worth a night’s stay!

Below are the key specs/things to know when staying at Hostel Pangea. Though personal experiences are great, I always find that its beneficial to write this section hopefully make your stay even better than mine!

SPECS:

Dorm Price - $13 ($1 + $5 for key and locker deposits)

Locker size - roughly 1 foot x 2 foot (enough space for cameras, passports, etc.

Free Wi-Fi and computer access

Free Tourist/Local Information Available

Help Readily Available

Beds - sheets/pillow/covers all provided

Meal at Bar - about $6 US (the food is GREAT!)

Airport Shuttle - $11 (shared)

GREAT FOR:

Everyone! Hostel Pangea is a hostel I would recommend to anyone, but especially SINGLE TRAVELERS because it’s so secure!

Neat Freaks. This place is CLEAN!

GETTING THERE/GETTING AROUND:

If you’re coming from the TicaBus station, take a taxi. It should cost about 4,000 colones ($8 US).

If you’re coming from the airport, take the TUASSA bus (450 colones or $1 US) and then a taxi (about 3,000 colones or $6 US for taxi to hostel).

If you decide to go out, you have many options available to you. There are a variety of clubs and bars nearby depending on your taste/style. No trip should cost you more than 3,000 colones ($6 US) or so. To get a taxi, just go out to one of the main streets and hail one. It’s cheaper than calling and super easy.

CONTACT INFO:

ONE LAST NOTE:

I really do have say this about the staff, they are amazing. Sometimes (as I am sure you avid backpackers know) hostel workers may try to coerce you to get bigger rooms, or take more expensive taxis, or basically just spend more money at their hostel. At Hostel Pangea, I never felt like the staff was trying to “just make a buck” off of me. I really felt like that staff genuinely cared about people and they even offered me information on how to save money! So awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The hostel itself is okay. Solid Internet connection, friendly informative staff, and the restaurant upstairs is actually very good. That's about it.

When we got in we had originally booked the 10 bed dorm, but the guy convinced us to pay an extra $2 each for a 6 bed dorm... Seemed like a good idea. He told us it would be "less crowded and smelly" (his exact words).
Then they put five other guys in our six bed dorm... That's 7 people, which means they put an extra mattress in the middle of the floor. We were specifically sold on the fact that it would be less crowded.
Then we tried to sleep... The room (#40) had a skylight with a loose roof that flapped every time the wind blew. It sounded like a door slamming over our heads and, needless to say, we got zero sleep. We got up at 130am and they moved us into a...you guessed it... 10 bed dorm. It was smelly and three people were snoring. No less noisy, the door creaked louder than anything in the other room and the other people were noisy (though I can't blame the hostel for that).
Only reason they didn't get a 1 was that they refunded the $4 for our "upgrade".

Do yourself a favor and find something else.

• Stayed November 2012

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My room, number 10, didn't have a single piece of furnture to put belongings on and no mirror. Such a room should not be rented, and for the price I paid for a private room, 45$, this is bad value for money compared for example with neighboring Hotel Cocoon which is two blocks closer to the Gran Caribe terminal and for the same price offers much larger, nicer rooms with television and breakfast included.
The alternative offered was room 9 across the hall which had a mirror and one small table but not a single electricity outlet to plug anything in!
The hotel manager acknoledged that these rooms were not completed yet, but couldn't think of a single way to compensate. Not recommended, at least not at that price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The hotel is well located and on first appearance looks rather nice. After agreeing on the price of USD 90 (plus USD 10 deposit) for the 4 of us in the suite room we were all good. The girl on the reception was friendly and told us that she would need to check the price was ok with her boss. She called the boss and we were told that USD 90 was fine for the night. Later that night when we returned we were asked by the young lad on the desk for an additional USD 10 for the night because the price should have been USD 100 for the night. He told us in his own words that if we did not pay it we would have to move out of the room to another smaller room. We couldn't believe or understand what he was saying or how he could possibly even think of saying what he did. When we explained that the price was agreed by the girl on the desk (after checking with her boss on the phone) he then got the night manager involved. The night manager argued with us and then said I believe you. I told him he didn't need to believe us and that he should check with his staff first before treating customers like they had. Disgraceful. Too add insult the bar staff in their well overpriced bar did not tell us the bar was closing and just started turning off the lights. We had only had one drink and did not really care, but it was just the complete lack of respect to their customers that makes us totally NOT recommend this place to anyone. This hostel has made it into the Lonely Planet, and like most that do, they are living off this free publicity and abusing / bossing customers around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed at Pangea twice (at the beginning and end of a Costa Rica trip). In general, the hostel is nice, with great bar and restaurant upstairs, but pricy (you pay for everything...) and there is no real place to enjoy your own food. The top food is amazing, but it is a restaurant, not a commune area, which is disappointing. They should allow outside food, at least on the balcony or something. The first time was ok, we arrived around 10pm with the shuttle and left early the next morning, that night was pretty calm and uneventful! The second time, we stayed for 2 nights. It was really busy and noisy. Many people were partying at the bar upstairs, which is fine, but that night, and the next morning was disgusting! The communal bathroom were filthy, toilets broken or full, and someone had actually been sick in one of the sink... and nothing was clean the next morning around 8:30. The last night, there were a lot less people, which was better, but even then, our neighbors had a party in their dorm until 3am, and no staff showed to have them quiet at some point. It is really safe though. It is ok for transit, but I would check another place next time.

Room Tip: If it's not to crowded, ask for a room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed at Pangea twice so far and plan on staying there again tomorrow before my flight back home. Their staff was helpful in getting us a shuttle from the airport to the hostel and then another shuttle to Santa Teresa. They are walking distance to the bus station, and several shops but it is too dangerous to walk around at night. They have a really nice computer area on the upstairs patio. Private rooms or dorm rooms, Not the nicest hostel that I have stayed in but by far not the worst, and the location and efficiency makes it totally worth it. Plus the place is like a safety compound with a giant solid metal gate and security guard so you don't have to worry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
West Sussex
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is my first hostel experience and I'm really pleased with it. Friendly staff, clean and plenty to do and places to rest or interact. Prices are expensive, espeically the drinks but the food is excellent. Close to the main city centre where food can be bought from the local supermarket and eaten anywhere apart from the main bar, which is fair enough! Great security, you don't want just anyone coming into this place. Looks scary from the outside but a very relaxed and chilled vibe elsewhere.

A little noisey at night, not from the bars but outside on the streets, so don't forget your ear plugs!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
#33 of 82 in San Jose
TripOn Open House
TripOn Open House
#2 of 82 in San Jose

Been to Hostel Pangea? Share your experiences!