“Drug infested grothole”

Tranquilo Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Tranquilo Backpackers
London, United Kingdom
“Drug infested grothole”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at Tranquilo Backpackers as a one night stopover en route elsewhere and was glad my stay was so short.

On arrival the receptionist was charming, polite and helpful and made me feel very welcome.

The bedding I was given, however, was stained and dirty. The dorm room was also inhabited by people under the influence of drugs. This was evident not only by their confused state, but also by the smell of marijuana permeating the whole building, making my stuff stink of it too.

I would not advise travelling to this hostel by foot at night because the area is a favourite for prostitutes and their pimps, along with other unscrupulous characters in the street.

There is nowhere remotely nice to eat in the vicinity as all semblance of fresh Costa Rican cuisine has been annihilated by American fast food chains.

Aside from the location, the hostel was noisy and the beds uncomfortable. I know it's only a few dollars a night, but elsewhere in Costa Rica I have paid less and got a lot more.

In summary, avoid San Jose. If that's not possible, don't stay at Tranquilo Backpackers.

• Stayed November 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Florence, Italy
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Is little bit expencive but they serve a very good breakfast....more there is a very nice tv roomas and is located in the center of san Jose...around there are many restaurants.....the room was nice....is a standar Hostel , but i was feeling like a home....i reccommend this place....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed 4 nights in that hostel in September 2011. In the first night I got bidden from BED BUGS in the TV room. Later I had a lot of new bites of bed bugs from my bed matress. I changed the bed and still got new bites everywhere. When I complained about the situation, the first girl at the reception reacted in a nice way. She appologied and said that they know about the bed bugs and are fighting against them and allowed me to wash my clothes and put it the dryer for free. In the next morning there was another girl and she was very rude. She told me that they never had bud bugs before and that I brought them. I am traveling since 14 months and I never had problems with bed bugs. This place is terrible!!!

Don't stay there. They don't know how to treat customers. Everywhere they have flyers and complain that they are not listed in the Lonely Planet anymore and want the people to write to the Lonely Planet to say how good the hostel is. Unbelievable!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Lots of people, many staying up late talking (isn't the point of traveling to see the outside world, not the inside of your hostel?), showers with questionable hot water, etc. Like the title of the review says: standard hostel. But it was a place to sleep. Didn't feel completely safe leaving my stuff in the room unattended. Breakfast included two strawberries and some pineapple, which was a nice touch. The bus to the airport was a long 15 block walk away from the hostel, which was a bit annoying/hot/sticky.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My friend and I got to San José around dinner time and we were leaving in the morning to catch a bus to Puerto Jiménez so we decided to take the first option in our travel guide, which was Tranquilo backpacker. It was horrible. We got there and the lady at the reception showed us to our room. It was a double room with a bunk bed. The top bed had pieces of the ceiling on it and there was mold growing on the walls. We asked to have another room, and the second room was not as bad. Thank god for the private bathroom so we did not have to use the public bathrooms which were nasty. The private one was very dirty as well but at least we could get some privacy!

In addition to that, the place was very noisy! Our room was near the front desk and the staff spoke all night so we barely got any sleep! There were also some very sketchy people drinking beer at 8 or 9 the next morning.

Finally, we missed breakfast because they ended up taking away the pancake mix very early.

Overall, in the 5 weeks we travelled in Costa Rica and Panama, Tranquilo backpackers was the worse place we stayed at!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I have been staying at Tranquillo for two nights every year since 2004.
I saw something that bothered me this time. The owner is rude to his help.

Many of these kids are in difficult situations and the job does not pay too much.

Chew their ----- in private.

Location is good. The coffee is good. The kids try hard.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank TPJ25
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 1, 2011

What can i say? The only good thing about this Hostel are the two girls working in that horrible hostel. The first one helped us realy a lot when we were looking for a yellow fever vaccination and the second girl during the night shift tried to make our stay in the "lobby" as good as possible!

Why did we spend the night in the Lobby?
We arrived very late at the TB and immediately it started to rain. So it was impossible for us to leave when we got the information from a german girl, that they have bedbugs. We still tried to sleep on our own sheets but had after 2 hours a lot ob bites as well!

The staff knew about the bedbugs and the owner does as well.
But the owner has nothing else to do than to complain about the fact that they have been deleted from the Lonely Planet and spread out the roomer that the guys from LP are bribed. this is definately a lie! This place is the worst place i have stayed at during 17 months of trevelling. I have been to India and some other places where you would expect such a review but the TB toped everything!

So forget it!

Room Tip: .....try to find something else!