“The owner is rude to his help in front of customers.”

Tranquilo Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Tranquilo Backpackers
“The owner is rude to his help in front of customers.”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I have been staying at Tranquillo for two nights every year since 2004.
I saw something that bothered me this time. The owner is rude to his help.

Many of these kids are in difficult situations and the job does not pay too much.

Chew their ----- in private.

Location is good. The coffee is good. The kids try hard.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank TPJ25

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 1, 2011

What can i say? The only good thing about this Hostel are the two girls working in that horrible hostel. The first one helped us realy a lot when we were looking for a yellow fever vaccination and the second girl during the night shift tried to make our stay in the "lobby" as good as possible!

Why did we spend the night in the Lobby?
We arrived very late at the TB and immediately it started to rain. So it was impossible for us to leave when we got the information from a german girl, that they have bedbugs. We still tried to sleep on our own sheets but had after 2 hours a lot ob bites as well!

The staff knew about the bedbugs and the owner does as well.
But the owner has nothing else to do than to complain about the fact that they have been deleted from the Lonely Planet and spread out the roomer that the guys from LP are bribed. this is definately a lie! This place is the worst place i have stayed at during 17 months of trevelling. I have been to India and some other places where you would expect such a review but the TB toped everything!

So forget it!

Room Tip: .....try to find something else!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank perser

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

San Jose
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Right now i am lying on the floor of our dirty room in Tranquilo Backpackers because dozens of bed bugs have forced us off the bed. No kiddin, there were less bugs in our dormitory at Sirena Station in the middle of the jungle in Corcovado. When asked if we could change rooms the member of staff just laughed and said all the rooms were infested and the only place that was not was the common area. She offered us an insense stick as consolation.
That sums the hostel up really. Take the advice of pretty much everyone on here and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kabooshshoosh
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We found this place and thought 'great, 10 bucks, internet, computers, a place to sleep'
About thirty minutes after I layed down on the bed I noticed some bugs crawling on me. So I asked to switch beds. I thought it weird the staff didn't seem to care there were bugs in my bed. THey didn't attempt to clean the room or notify the other people staying in the room.
Me and my sister were put into another room with clean sheets.
About an hour or two later... more bugs. lots more.
We decided to go sit in the common area since there was no way we were going to be able to sleep in there. BUGS ON THE FURNITURE
we googled bed bugs and that is definitely what these were. bed bugs. everywhere.
Total infestation.
We told the staff and they seemed completely indifferent. We had to argue to get our money back and ended up going across the street to Don Carlos in the middle of the night for 80 bucks.
Don't stay here. unless you like bed bugs.
P.S. all the rooms were also very noisy and no screens on the windows (bugs free to come in and out) with no ceiling fans.

Room Tip: All rooms noisy and bed bug infested
  • Stayed May 2011
1 Thank BrownPandaBear
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stayed 2 nights. On the second, I was awakened by a bug crawling on me. I killed it an discovered my bed and bunkbed frame crawling with bedbugs!!! Staff said sorry but would not offer a refund.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank romaviajara
Sliedrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 22, 2011

This is a hostel with a typical backpackers hostel atmosphere, a place to relax after a long trip and meet other travellers.

The staff is quite friendly and in my opinion the free pancakes and fruit for breakfast is very well arranged. There is a cheap laundry service available wThere are a number of pc's available with fast and free internet, free wi-fi is available as well.

Yes it can be quite noisy now and then but if you want your own isolated room just book a hotel room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I stayed at Tranquilo Backpackers Mal Pais. I had originally made reservations a month in advance without giving CC info. A week prior to arrival, I emailed for confirmation twice, receiving nothing in return. Upon arrival we found that no one knew of my reservation and there were 2 beds for my group of 5. All was well, though, as the owner was gracious enough to give us a free stay for the first night with the last 2 remaining beds & 3 of us sleeping in hammocks. Since we had originally reserved a private loft & received 2 separate dorm rooms, we found that we didn't have much privacy. But that's what you expect in hostel dorm room, I suppose. The location was a 2 minute walk to the beach, 30 second walk to the mercado. Staff was quiet, but nice and did a wonderful job of keeping things clean.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Hostel Casa Colon
Hostel Casa Colon
#26 of 76 in San Jose
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose

Been to Tranquilo Backpackers? Share your experiences!