“Choo-choo train”

Costa Rica Backpackers
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have booked private room, but they put me to the dorm, but I was there alone so finally private. Its not far away from center - 8min walk. The worst thing about this place is near railway thats goes on the ordinary street with traffic jam, so the train horns couple of times per hour. If you want to sleeping in the morning its almost impossible!!!

Room Tip: Dont sleep in the back house, its near the railroad.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Offer quite an expensive airport shuttle service at US$24 (other hostels around $11) and had to wait quite a long time after I had arrived until the shuttle actually turned up, event though I was the only person. The guy who the hostel had assigned to meet me at the gate asked for a tip on top of the price of the shuttle and then rode in the shuttle with me back to the hostel.

Beds are OK. Everybody seems to go to bed ridiculously early - 2 older men in my dorm were asleep by 7pm one night I was there.

Kitchen and bar area quite fun and good place to meet people. No power sockets in the dorms so have to charge phones / cameras in the communal areas.

Reception staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Good location for walk into central area.
Seems like place has tendency to overbook rooms. We booked private room through hostel bookers, but they didn't have this available so put us in a dorm room with two four bunk beds in the downstairs area. This was private for us so didn't have to do dorms. On the last day there it was very busy as again rooms had been overbooked and people were shuttled to different areas.
Breakfast was charged extra on top of room price so we ate out.
Place was clean and beds comfy. Bathroom clean with hot water.
Lots of hammocks around central pool.
There was a policy of quiet after 10pm, this wasn't respected however as bar is right above the downstairs rooms and loud music/talking was going on past midnight. Good for party hostellers, we prefer quieter places.
Summary: Good enough for short stay, good location and clean. Pretty noisy and overbooks rooms.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Before going into details about the hostel itself, I need to mention that I arranged a pick up from the airport with the hostel prior to arriving in San Jose because my Spanish was non-existent. In the email they sent me they said to only go with [insert name here] who will be holding up a sign with your name on it, and only go in the hostel-emblazoned van. Well, neither did I meet the intended gentleman at the airport nor was I ascorted to the hostel van - rather a different guy led me to an unmarked car where another man said he'd take me to the hostel. When i asked where the original guy who was supposed to pick me up was, he pulled out his cell phone which had my name and flight number displayed in a text message on the screen. Call me paranoid but I wasn't very consoled by this. And on top of that the man with the sign then asked for a tip after I was handed over to mystery man number two. It all worked out ok in the end, I got to the hostel safely, but for me arriving as a solo female traveller in a foreign country it was a bit stressful after a long flight.

I stayed here for just one night and found it to be clean enough (if not a little dismal in the downstairs rooms), but the bar had a good happy hour going on in the evening and it was a great atmosphere to meet and greet other travellers. They have a nice little pool and a foozeball table, and I had a lot of fun for the short time I was there.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank angie_travelpants
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed at Costa Rica Backpackers two times, and it was fine both times. The food was not great at all, but there is a kitchen so you could cook too. Most people I met there were just traveling through, just like I was. It's a fine place to stay as you pretty much have to stop in San Jose if you're heading to Panama or Nicaragua. The pool is quite small and did not look very inviting. The dorms were small with 4 beds in it. The bar was nice to hang out at night, and there are lots of hammocks to lay in as well. They have a weird policy that when you check out you must give them the receipt they handed you at check-in. This was stressful to us as we couldn't find it and didn't understand this policy.

They offer travel advice and sat down with my friend and I as we tried to plan our bus route to Nicaragua. They're extremely helpful and will give great suggestions and make calls to arrange things for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I liked this place. It had it all that I needed. It was lacking a little personality and vibe but had lots of amenities and a decent pool to hang out by. The rooms were quiet and not overly crowded. Felt very secure as well. I recommend staying here if you pass through the city like most people have to do when traveling through the country. Stayed two times while in the country.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank alexis b
Reviewed September 15, 2013

They give you locks to main doors of dorm rooms which provides a but more security. Big kitchen equipped with basics, free coffee and tea. Nice courtyard area to swing in a hammock. Hot showers.

Beds more comfortable in dorm than private. Our private mattress was like a canoe, couldn't help but roll to middle.

Staff was nice.