“this place is evil”

Costa Rica Backpackers
kansas city, missouri
“this place is evil”
Reviewed May 21, 2008

i had reservations at this place and when we got there they said they didnt have us in the system at all. so we stayed somewhere else the ONE night we had reserved. over a month later (when we were home) they charged me for three nights!! i called them and they refused to refund anything. what makes them even worse is that they did the same thing again eight months later. i never stayed there but by making a reservation (which was lost) with my credit card number they kept charging me, almost a year later. I had to get a new card number because they never refunded any of my money and refused to talk to me about it throught email and on the phone!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
ottawa
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I stayed at the hostel for one night. The shuttle service did pick me up at the airport. The driver was very nice and helpful. The front desk staff were ok. They were young and seemed bored and lazy. The hostel itself was very nice. Clean rooms, hot water, a lot of comuters with free internet. It was a comfortable environment. The downside is that its far from anything else. That is why I only stayed one night. I do recommend if if youre just arriving in Costa Rica and need to sleep somewhere until you plan what you want to do next. They do have a tourist office that will book shuttles and activities for you.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 16, 2007

I loved the atmosphere of Costa Rica Backpackers. Even when San Jose is dark and rainy, as it many times is, the hostel is an extremely cool place to relax and regroup on your way in, out, or through Costa Rica. There is a constant cool mix of eclectic music, a pool, and plenty of computers. As with any hostel the environment changes with the crowd at a given time, but I stayed three times there and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I would recommend it highly.

• Liked — Relaxing, backpacker atmosphere
  • Disliked — Internet didnt work sometimes on all computers
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank robster336
Denver, CO
Reviewed November 10, 2006

We were very disappointed with the place and service.
It started already at the airport. Airport pick up never showed up. I spent a fortune calling the hostel to find out what was happening.
When we finally got there, the receptionist was on the phone and didn't get off it for a good 5 minutes. Over all he wasn't pleasant, more arrogant.
Our private room was very small and smelly - it didn't have an outside window. The bed (---) had some greasy stains, I'm not even mentioning that we had to check out ( with deposit) towels that let a lot to desire.
The hotel was promising hot water, but most of the showers had the water heaters not working. There was only one working shower in the girls dorm bathroom. My husband had to shower is cold water for 3 days.
The first night at the hostel's restaurant was rather tasty, but the next day they didn't have half items of the limited menu. The two ladies - cashier/cook/waiters were rude and didn't attend to us for over 10 minutes of standing at the counter and trying to order some food, what forced us to leave the restaurant.
Hotel isn't in the best area. There aren't any close places to eat that are open after 6pm.

I have to say I liked two things there - the coffee and the kitten that was sitting on the sofa in the internet room. Oh, I forgot about the internet. There are several computers. Some of them don't work, and those that do work are very slow.

I would never stay in this place again!

• Liked — Coffee
  • Disliked — smelly rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple

#1 of 83 in San Jose
TripOn Open House
TripOn Open House
#2 of 83 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Backpackers? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Costa Rica Backpackers

Property: Costa Rica Backpackers
Address: Avenida 6, Calle 21/25 | De la iglesia Sagrado Corazon, 100 metros norte, 50 oeste., San Jose, Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica > Province of San Jose > San Jose Metro > San Jose
Bar / Lounge Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
Ranked #16 of 83 Specialty Lodging in San Jose
Hotel Class:2 star — Costa Rica Backpackers 2*
The #1 budget hostel and meeting spot for travelers in San Jose, Costa Rica and Lonely Planet readers' favorite since 2001. We have excellent reviews from guide books and on internet. Come and meet people from all around the world in our little slice of paradise, swap stories ! Catch the sun in our tropical garden, swim in the pool and don`t miss the happy hour at the "BAR-PACKERS" at 5pm!ALL FREE - internet (7 computers), wifi, coffee & tea; kitchen facilities (save money cook for yourself), parking, storage.TOP FACILITIES - Biggest pool & garden in San Jose, sunbathing, cable tv, international phone calls, hot showers, laundry service, tour desk, 24-hr security. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Costa Rica Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Costa Rica Backpackers Hotel San Jose