“Ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Costa Rica Backpackers
Perth, Australia
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed twice in Costa Rica backpackers and its an ok hostel. They have heaps of rooms so turning up early in the day you're almost guaranteed to get a bed. They have a big, well equipped kitchen for cooking your own food and large grounds with heaps of places for lounging around. The attached bar/restaurant has come cheap-ish food on offer. Location is fairly central and only a 5 min walk to city centre and 10 min walk to the market. Not much atmosphere here as everyone only stays for a night or two at the start/end of their trip so turnover is really high.

PRO's
- big well equipped kitchen that's clean
- spacious dorms with lockers
- nice pool for swimming
- close to town and San Pedro mall (has cinema)

CON's
- not much atmosphere
- bunks are really wobbly so your bunk buddy will wake you up as they move around
- no charging points in dorms

All in all a convenient place to spend the night in San Jose.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Abilene, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Nice place but price was pretty steep for a hostel. Three of us paid $65 for a room with bathroom. We were tired and needed a place to stay and really wanted to get some sun so we opted to stay because of the pool. The water was too cold to enjoy so we just enjoyed the pool from outside. Very friendly and helpful staff. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CRBackpackers, Owner at Costa Rica Backpackers, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hello dear customers,

Costa Rica Backpackers only charges $32 for a double, this comment is inappropriate, we encourage tripadviser to ckeck people commenting on accommations if they are true customers.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have stayed here first one night and they were helpful with booking a trip for the next day. When we came back to this hostel we wanted to stay two nights and the reception told us we could only book for one night and if we wanted to stay another night we have to go to the reception the next morning to book another night. Very strange and not friendly at all. In the end they were happy to book 2 nights in a row.
After a few days we came back to this hostel again, and we had made booking with the reception the last time we left. When we arrived they didn't have a room for us, since we hadn't booked online. Even though we had booked it face to face. We were not happy and therefore we didn't want to stay and went across the road to a different hostel. (in this hostel the service was really good and there was breakfast included)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hostel is fine, nothing special but nothing wrong with it either.
I stayed in a private room in the basement which was really spacious. It looked like it was the only room in the basement with a window to the outside. I'm not 100% sure about this though.
It was comfortable and had a double and a single bed in it.
I didn't find the people on reception particulary helpful. I was ignored for about 15 minutes while standing at reception just to ask where the local supermarket was!
The pool was pretty cold, I only managed to dip my toes in!
There is a train track right behind the hostel and when a train goes past, you have to stop conversing as it's too loud to hear the person you're chatting with!
There are 2 bars (I have no idea why as one had no one in it any time I went in!). One serves food which is pretty average. Nothing to write home about.
I found the bars to be pretty expensive. Not your usual hostel prices.
They sell chocolate bars and the like at reception and they are totally over priced!
They also sell departure tax at reception for $32. It's only $28 at the airport so I thought that was a bit cheeky!
I got my laundry done here. $2 per kg. A bit more expensive than other places but ok.
It's a decent location though and handy for a couple of days in San Jose. And a couple of days is more than enough!
Also, there is luggage storage which is great if you are carrying too much! I was as I had clothes for different climates and it was great to be able to leave them behind and pick them up again before my flight. Be warned though, if you don't stay there when you go back, they charge you $5 per night to store your luggage. That's fair enough but just make sure you're staying another night!
In general, I found that everything here was a bit more expensive than other hostels in Costa Rica. I felt like they were trying to rip travellers off a bit. That left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed here in a double private room for two nights in mid-november and liked it. The place has a real big kitchen with all you might need, so you can cook if you don'y fancy eating outside. I'd love to so that if we didn't just have two nights. The beds are not comfy at all, but you can handle that for a couple of nites.
Location is good; takes 5 minutes to walk downtown, and it's really safe around, since there are a couple of governmental offices around.
The staff is very nice and friendly, helping you with anything you may need.
The only lousy thing is that the music gets too loud at the bar next door after 9 pm, and if you'll be up early, it might be kinda painful..so have your ear plugs handy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I arrived in San Jose after dark so pretty much just wanted to get behind closed doors! My driver couldn't find the hostel I was after so we ended up here.
The staff are ok but not very friendly. It seems like a chore when you ask them anything. This applies for reception, bar and restaurant.
I was in a 4 bed dorm which was clean and had a comfy bed but there was no fan, AC or even a window to open so it was a bit claustrophobic.
It's very noisy here, not so much hostel noise but lots of street noise.
Not bad but a bit pricey for what and where it is.

• Stayed December 2012
Golden, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights. It is the best place to arrive in San Jose. My flight was arriving late in the evening and I got the taxi driver to pick me up at the airport than drive me to the backpacker in domwtown area they have nice pool, bars, kitchen, anything that you need in place . Great to meet new peoples and find some plans to go explore the country.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
#3 of 96 in San Jose Metro
Costa Rica Guesthouse
Costa Rica Guesthouse
#5 of 66 in San Jose

Been to Costa Rica Backpackers? Share your experiences!