This hostel is fine, nothing special but nothing wrong with it either.
I stayed in a private room in the basement which was really spacious. It looked like it was the only room in the basement with a window to the outside. I'm not 100% sure about this though.
It was comfortable and had a double and a single bed in it.
I didn't find the people on reception particulary helpful. I was ignored for about 15 minutes while standing at reception just to ask where the local supermarket was!
The pool was pretty cold, I only managed to dip my toes in!
There is a train track right behind the hostel and when a train goes past, you have to stop conversing as it's too loud to hear the person you're chatting with!
There are 2 bars (I have no idea why as one had no one in it any time I went in!). One serves food which is pretty average. Nothing to write home about.
I found the bars to be pretty expensive. Not your usual hostel prices.
They sell chocolate bars and the like at reception and they are totally over priced!
They also sell departure tax at reception for $32. It's only $28 at the airport so I thought that was a bit cheeky!
I got my laundry done here. $2 per kg. A bit more expensive than other places but ok.
It's a decent location though and handy for a couple of days in San Jose. And a couple of days is more than enough!
Also, there is luggage storage which is great if you are carrying too much! I was as I had clothes for different climates and it was great to be able to leave them behind and pick them up again before my flight. Be warned though, if you don't stay there when you go back, they charge you $5 per night to store your luggage. That's fair enough but just make sure you're staying another night!
In general, I found that everything here was a bit more expensive than other hostels in Costa Rica. I felt like they were trying to rip travellers off a bit. That left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The #1 budget hostel and meeting spot for travelers in San Jose, Costa Rica and Lonely Planet readers' favorite since 2001. We have excellent reviews from guide books and on internet. Come and meet people from all around the world in our little slice of paradise, swap stories ! Catch the sun in our tropical garden, swim in the pool and don`t miss the happy hour at the "BAR-PACKERS" at 5pm!ALL FREE - internet (7 computers), wifi, coffee & tea; kitchen facilities (save money cook for yourself), parking, storage.TOP FACILITIES - Biggest pool & garden in San Jose, sunbathing, cable tv, international phone calls, hot showers, laundry service, tour desk, 24-hr security. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Costa Rica Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Costa Rica Backpackers Hotel San Jose
- Costa Rica Backpackers San Jose