“Enjoyable stay, I'd stay with them again!”
Review of Adventure Inn

Adventure Inn
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2009

There were many positive aspects to staying at this hotel from the multiple discounts available to the hospitality of staff and the cleanliness of the hotel with daily room service and even a jacuzzi in the room at a nice price! There were tours available through the hotel, although I did not do any of those, they sure helped to get an idea of what was available to do in the area. Also really nice was that there was free 24 hour internet access in an open area. The hotel paid for the taxi to take us to the airport, which was really a nice perk to not have to worry about that transportation and the kitchen even was willing to make us sandwiches to pick up and take as our complimentary breakfast because we were leaving so early. The staff was so kind and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 5, 2009

We had to leave our booked hotel at the last minute because it was incorrectly identified as 'handicap accessible'. We found a room at Adventure Inn for 9 days. We were in CR for my dental surgery. The hotel would have been perfect if we were there to do more sightseeing as it's got a nice tour desk and appeared to be a good jumping off spot for a lot of visitors. As we were kind of stuck in the hotel while I recovered, having a restaurant and room service was a big help. Unfortunately, the pool is a mile away at Waterland. It would have been nicer if it had been right there in our hotel. Secondly, the room we were located in didn't have wireless access. Apparently, there are a couple of rooms that can't connect. I was able to go right out front of the hotel and link up. For our purposes it would have been nicer to have a kitchenette,suite, & maybe a bathtub. But, we were just lucky to have an accessible room. Most people would find it perfect. As for bugs, what bugs? We only left the hotel about 3 times, and I never saw any bugs in our room or elsewhere. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I made reservations through hotel.com. According to the site, if plans changed and they were notified in advance, you received a full refund. This did not happen. First, the front desk entered by arrival as April and not June, and I was charged. I hade to fight through the charge card company as well as hotel.com and I finally got my refund; however, Adventure Inn still managed to charge me $25.00. it might me a nice hotel, but not worth the hassel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Muffy12
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2009

This reviewer is mistaken. Both hotels.com and our own website clearly state that with any cancellation there is a minimum $25 cancellation service charge redeemable upon your next new reservation.

We did not charge this person for our mistake, but when he later canceled his intended reservation the automatic $25 service charge came into effect.

Reviewed August 22, 2009

Instead of staying in a cookie cutter value chain, stay at Adventure Inn. The rooms are clean, comfortably appointed and fairly large with high ceilings. The staff is friendly and competent; they arranged for our rental car to be delivered and picked up directly from the hotel. Airport transfers were deducted from the room rate. The breakfast, included in room rate, was well-prepared with a choice of American or Tico.........both delicious options. We didn't have time to use it, but the inn contained a large reading room stocked with books and computers with internet access. Without hesitation, I recommend the Adventure Inn.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed at the Adventure Inn for about 8 hours between our late flight into San Jose and being picked up early the next morning for a whitewater rafting tour and transfer. The folks at the front desk were nice enough, and the room was adequate for one night's sleep. We did a number of bugs in the room, though, both dead and alive. Since we were leaving early, we couldn’t take full advantage of the free breakfast, but the folks in the restaurant/bar did make us each a dry ham and cheese sandwich to take with us (which was just as appetizing as it sounds).

All in all, the hotel served its purpose for us, which was to give us a bed to sleep in for one night. But I certainly wouldn’t choose to stay there for any extended amount of time.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2009

It is a constant battle for all hotels in Costa Rica to separate the guests from the creepy crawlies. Adventure Inn, like most hotels has been built where a rainforest once stood, the bugs were here first, and have a tremendous resiliency though their numbers have dwindled. We fumigate every couple of months but try to find a balance between drenching the environment with toxins, and being overrun by the little critters. Occasionally a few slip through the cracks. I still assume most guests are here to see Costa Rica in its most natural form and not a sterile environment.

We serve a full American breakfast each morning from 6 to 10 am. Even though breakfast was provided on their whitewater rafting trip, to accommodate a special request from these guests, we made them complimentary take out ham and cheese sandwiches. I apologize that the cook forgot to add packets of mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise. We keep them separate so the sandwiches don't get soggy.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

Stayed here one night to be close to the airport. Rooms were nothing fancy , basic, very clean, very comfortable beds and rooms were nice size. I would definitely recommend it to be close to airport or if you are doing day trips. Also it was nice that the owner< Mike< in an email gave detailed info upon leaving airport and getting transfer to the hotel. He mentioned that the official taxi service in the airport should charge about $8 to the hotel. Had I not known that the guy at the airport office tried charging me $18. I told him that I was told it would cost $8, he said, "ok, $9"

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Adventure Inn was the last hotel my daughters and I stayed on July 4th before we returned home on July 5th. First of all, I would like to thank Mike and Eric for the e-mails we received before we even arrived to Costa Rica. We stayed at 6 hotels in Costa Rica and Adventure Inn was the only one that sent us travel information about Costa Rica. I had originally booked an incorrect night on June 4th. I contacted Mike and Eric to reserve the correct night of July 4th. It was totally my oversight! Mike and Eric were fantastic in understanding our situation and accomadated us a few days before we were left for Costa Rica. We loved our room! It was spacious and clean and a fantastic balcony.

When we arrived on July 4th, the staff was just amazing and checked us in and knew that my daughters and I were arriving. We were so tired from our long bus ride from Manuel Antonio. They told us about the restaurant downstairs and local restaurants in the area and the shopping mall down the street. As soon we unpacked and ate a great lunch in the restaurant, my older daughter and I took a walk down the street to the souvenir shop. Then we walked to the mall and got some wonderful cookies which I ate sitting at the balcony. We came back, I went on the computer and Instant messaged my husband that we were in a safe place and that the Adventure Inn was an amazing hotel. He was glad!! I told hm we should come back again!! We ended our evening with a great dinner downstairs and my older daughter hung out at the jacuzzi and my younger daughter logged on to her facebook. We were able to relax and enjoy our stay at Adventure inn. The following morning, we had a nice breakfast. The front desk had already called our taxi and we checked out. It was very nice to have our transportation to the airport taken care of.

I am glad we chose Adventure inn. This is one of the hotels I would stay if I ever came back to Costa Rica. Thank you Mike and Eric!! Our last night was relaxing and I really did experience Pura Vida in San Jose, Costa Rica.

• Stayed: July 2009