“Meh”

GreenLeadersSilver level
SLC, UT
“Meh”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed at the Adventure Inn for about 8 hours between our late flight into San Jose and being picked up early the next morning for a whitewater rafting tour and transfer. The folks at the front desk were nice enough, and the room was adequate for one night's sleep. We did a number of bugs in the room, though, both dead and alive. Since we were leaving early, we couldn’t take full advantage of the free breakfast, but the folks in the restaurant/bar did make us each a dry ham and cheese sandwich to take with us (which was just as appetizing as it sounds).

All in all, the hotel served its purpose for us, which was to give us a bed to sleep in for one night. But I certainly wouldn’t choose to stay there for any extended amount of time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2009
It is a constant battle for all hotels in Costa Rica to separate the guests from the creepy crawlies. Adventure Inn, like most hotels has been built where a rainforest once stood, the bugs were here first, and have a tremendous resiliency though their numbers have dwindled. We fumigate every couple of months but try to find a balance between drenching the environment with toxins, and being overrun by the little critters. Occasionally a few slip through the cracks. I still assume most guests are here to see Costa Rica in its most natural form and not a sterile environment.

We serve a full American breakfast each morning from 6 to 10 am. Even though breakfast was provided on their whitewater rafting trip, to accommodate a special request from these guests, we made them complimentary take out ham and cheese sandwiches. I apologize that the cook forgot to add packets of mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise. We keep them separate so the sandwiches don't get soggy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
chicago
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Stayed here one night to be close to the airport. Rooms were nothing fancy , basic, very clean, very comfortable beds and rooms were nice size. I would definitely recommend it to be close to airport or if you are doing day trips. Also it was nice that the owner< Mike< in an email gave detailed info upon leaving airport and getting transfer to the hotel. He mentioned that the official taxi service in the airport should charge about $8 to the hotel. Had I not known that the guy at the airport office tried charging me $18. I told him that I was told it would cost $8, he said, "ok, $9"

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
California
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Adventure Inn was the last hotel my daughters and I stayed on July 4th before we returned home on July 5th. First of all, I would like to thank Mike and Eric for the e-mails we received before we even arrived to Costa Rica. We stayed at 6 hotels in Costa Rica and Adventure Inn was the only one that sent us travel information about Costa Rica. I had originally booked an incorrect night on June 4th. I contacted Mike and Eric to reserve the correct night of July 4th. It was totally my oversight! Mike and Eric were fantastic in understanding our situation and accomadated us a few days before we were left for Costa Rica. We loved our room! It was spacious and clean and a fantastic balcony.

When we arrived on July 4th, the staff was just amazing and checked us in and knew that my daughters and I were arriving. We were so tired from our long bus ride from Manuel Antonio. They told us about the restaurant downstairs and local restaurants in the area and the shopping mall down the street. As soon we unpacked and ate a great lunch in the restaurant, my older daughter and I took a walk down the street to the souvenir shop. Then we walked to the mall and got some wonderful cookies which I ate sitting at the balcony. We came back, I went on the computer and Instant messaged my husband that we were in a safe place and that the Adventure Inn was an amazing hotel. He was glad!! I told hm we should come back again!! We ended our evening with a great dinner downstairs and my older daughter hung out at the jacuzzi and my younger daughter logged on to her facebook. We were able to relax and enjoy our stay at Adventure inn. The following morning, we had a nice breakfast. The front desk had already called our taxi and we checked out. It was very nice to have our transportation to the airport taken care of.

I am glad we chose Adventure inn. This is one of the hotels I would stay if I ever came back to Costa Rica. Thank you Mike and Eric!! Our last night was relaxing and I really did experience Pura Vida in San Jose, Costa Rica.

• Stayed July 2009
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 26, 2009

A great little place in a safe part of town. I had a wonderful email correspondence with hotel management in the weeks leading up to my trip and they answered any and every question I had. They even arranged a private shuttle to take me to my next destination! It made my trip so stress-free! Throw in a free breakfast and free airport shuttle and you have the best-valued hotel I stayed in for my 10 days in Costa Rica. Thanks again!

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This place was perfect for our two San Jose stays before going to our final destination in Costa Rica and then on the way back, the night before our flight. The staff was so friendly and helpful as well as the Russian woman who worked in the bar/restaurant. You can't beat the fact that they pay for your cab fares, breakfast, and internet. They also gave us a bagged breakfast of sandwich and fruit the morning of our early flight back since it was before the actual breakfast was served! The rooms were very clean, had coffee makers, TV, A/C, and bathroom toiletries. Also the Costa Rica decor was very cute. The only one slightly negative thing I will say is that the bed that we slept in the second night was way too soft and bendy with bad springs, but the one our first night was fine. Either way I still slept well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone without reservation thanks!

colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Our family of four stayed at the Adventure Inn for one night at the end of our 11 day trip to Costa Rica. I picked this hotel because of the good reviews and because the pictures showed that it was out of town on a hill. This could not be farther from the truth. It is in the middle of industrial development and the directions are very confusing. Even with a GPS we had to meander through many sidestreets in order to find the establishment. The hotel was hot, the jacuzzi was cold and to top it all off, our credit card information was stolen that night. Be leary of giving out your home phone number upon check-in. Theives can use this info to access your money. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on the way in and they are top notch, clean and efficient. The breakfast there was fabulous and they offer free International calls.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
First of all, I would like to address the more serious issue at hand about having their credit card information stolen. I am very sorry to hear this happened, if it did. However, just because their credit card number was charged on the night they stayed with us does not mean that it was stolen by one of our staff and it could have been stolen days or even weeks earlier. Credit card theft can happen literally anywhere, such as at a gas station, at a restaurant, at a convenience store, etc. and contrary to the reviewer's comments, your home phone number is not necessary to do so. Knowing our staff, we would be extremely surprised if it was one of them and most have been here for years and we have never once had this problem in the past.

I would recommend to the reviewer or anyone who has ever had their credit card information stolen to go to your credit card issuing bank and get in contact with the company that made the invalid charge and if they do not reimburse it, do a charge reversal with your bank.

To the reviewer, if there is any way at all that we can help you get this sorted out, please contact us either through TripAdvisor or our website and we will gladly work with you to get corrected.

In response to the other points mentioned in the review, we are not in an industrial area. The closest factory may be a mile away. We are in a residential neighborhood of well-to-do homes. No where in our information does it say we are on a hill.

We are just past the Ramada Plaza and Hilton Double Tree. We are easy to find, and our website instructions make it even easier. The only reason you would have to meander through side streets is if your GPS is not working or you do not follow it correctly.

We are sorry you found the hotel hot, but our climate is considered by National Geographic as one of the planet's best, yet all guest rooms plus the restaurant / bar and gym have air-conditioning. Perhaps the Jacuzzi was cold because we were in the process of changing the water, which we do on a regular basis for sanitation reasons.

Mike Robinson
Dansville, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at the Adventure Inn at the beginning and again at the end of our trip to Costa Rica. The rooms were spacious and the people who worked there were courteous and helpful (and mostly bilingual).
We didn't have definite plans for our stay and Marta, at the front desk, helped us to book additional hotels, transportation, and activities. When we were unable to find a hotel in Monteverde (because of a huge bike race), she did the legwork for us. She was an incredible help and deserves a lot of credit.
The Adventure Inn also paid for the taxi from the airport.
They are also within walking distance to the local bus (much cheaper than a taxi) and a grocery store mini-plaza, which had a pizza place and a small restaurant.