“Very good hotel with friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Adventure Inn
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
ottawa
“Very good hotel with friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

As per my usual hotel reviews, I will give you pros, cons and my opinion and additional comments

Pros:
Very friendly staff
Clean and roomy space
Bathroom provides you with "extras" i.e. sewing kit
Free shuttle ride to the airport

Cons:
Food at lunchtime was not very good, could have been a one time incident

My Opinion:
We arrived there after driving for 3 hours with rental cars, we wanted to see the city so the front staff was more than happy to drop off the keys for us, which was nice. This hotel is very nice and most other reviewers cover why it's rated one of the best. One minor inconvenience, very minor, we stayed up late and once the bar closes (early) we sat in the courtyard but I guess since there are rooms all around you cannot be very loud, which means you can't really have late nights :) no big deal though... Special thanks to the concierge for arranging shuttles and providing us late night snacks... Great hotel overall, if you are going to see the town, the shuttle round trip will cost you no more than $20 to get downtown and it's about 30mins drive

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Kralendijk, null, Netherlands Antilles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We finished off our Costa Rican vacation at the Adventure Inn. From the front desk staff Nancy and her colleage, to Jose who helped us with our luggage to all the lovely staff in the restaurant we say thank you. We were only there one night, but where can you get a great meal, free internet and phone calls and a lovely room that includes transport to the airport. Gecko Tours recommended this hotel. It was very clean and comfortable. We will stay here again on our next trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Elk Grove, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night in this little hotel after flying in to the airport in San Jose. The price was very inexpensive and so (I hate to say it) we weren't really expecting much. How wrong we were.

Checking in was a breeze and we were helped along by one of the warmest and most helpful front desk staff I've ever encountered. Our Spanish is... how should I say... pretty much non-existent but between my ersatz Spanglish, a lot of laughing and the production of a credit card we somehow managed to muddle through the transaction and make ourselves understood to one another.

We immediately dropped everything off in our room, which was VERY clean and oh so charming. The beds are somewhat firm, which my husband and I prefer so we slept comfortably. As this was our first trip to Costa Rica we were somewhat puzzled by the spartan bathroom (no shelves!) It wasn't too many days later that we concluded that Costa Ricans just keep their bathrooms simpler than we tend to in the US. It too was squeaky clean and had a bathtub so hey, we were good to go.

This hotel is located in a kind of out-of-the-way spot off the Pan-American highway near San Jose, so we decided to skip the inevitable fight that would have resulted from navigating a foreign city after arriving on a red-eye and had drinks at the bar downstairs.

We couldn't help but notice the beautiful wood construction on the interior of the hotel or the photographs on the wall just outside the restaurant. The bar is located inside the restaurant but there is a small area at the back where you can sit at the bar outdoors, which we did. Although it shouldn't have surprised us after meeting the front desk staff, the bartender and servers in the restaurant were WONDERFUL. Regrettably, I don't recall the dark-haired gal's name who served us but she was a joy. She served us our first Costa Rican beers and made menu suggestions so that we could experience comida tipica in between chatting us and two other patrons up.

We did make use of the hot tub after dinner and drinks. The pool is an infinity pool at one end with a hot tub to the side. It is very well maintained and we thoroughly enjoyed ending our first day in Costa Rica with a nice soak. Also, there are restrooms out by the pool which is nice when you don't want to traipse all the way back to your room.

Breakfast was included in the morning and we were pleasantly surprised to find a continental-style spread in addition to hot entrees. I can't say enough good things about the food. It was wonderful and the fresh fruit selections were delicious. I'm pretty sure they lost money on me that day as I ate my own weight in papaya, mango, pineapple and watermelon.

Check out was a breeze and to be honest we were a little sad to go simply due to the hospitality and friendliness of the staff. I will definitely stay here if I'm in San Jose in the future.

Room Tip: The hotel is so small that there really aren't any bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank stepharmstrong
Sollitt, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Adventure Inn for the first and last night of our high school trip to Costa Rica. I couldn't be more happy with the experience. Prior to the trip, I made many inquiries and each one was answered carefully and promptly. Eric Robinson provided the utmost care in booking our stay. He also arranged for my group to have sandwiches and refreshments, as well as a birthday cake for one of my students upon our arrival. Our rooms were large, clean and comfortable. They are nicely appointed and greatly surpass what I would expect from a room at this cost. You cannot beat the value of this hotel...the whole property is beautiful. I will stay at Adventure Inn again, both for my own travel as well as our school travel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the property are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennifer C
Gardendale, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We totally enjoyed the Adventure Inn. Our room was large clean and most of all comfortable. We stayed two separate occasions. Both were positive. Staff was great, very helpful. Food in the Moonglow was tasty, plentiful and reasonable. Iwould easily stay there again.

2 Thank planderson
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Located close to San Jose and the airport as well makes this hotel very convenient. Big mall right across the street, pool, a Great RESTAURANT!, spa, computers in the lounge area upstairs and wifi in the rooms, plenty of hot water. The new chef has the kitchen putting out excellent food. Clean, secure, comfortable and a great front desk staff. The best value in San Jose.

1 Thank Joe D
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We just returned from our Costa Rica trip. We chose Adventure Inn purely from all of the good reviews. What everyone had to stay was accurate. The staff was friendly,the free breakfast buffet was yummy (especially the pineapple), the room was clean,( but the pillows could be replaced), transportation to & from the airport was great, Fresh Market within 5-7 minute walk (they even had an ATM that dispensed US $.). Within this same area were several restaurants. If you wanted to walk 15-20 minutes there's also a mall. The bus stop to get into the downtown area is 1 block away.