This place surprisingly met and exceeded expectations overall. For the price, you get a lot... esp if you just need to go to the airport the next day! Free taxi ride to the airport, free breakfast (didn't get the full one due to early flight, but a pretty nice to go box!), free international calls, a pool, a clean hotel, and free Wifi. Our only issues were going beyond those things.
1) The restaurant: Sloooooooooow service. This may be inconsistent as other tables came and went before we got our main dish, but for some reason, our waitress was very slow and forgetful. The bartender took our appetizer order and when it transferred to the waitress, she rolled her eyes and blamed him for not putting in the order. So then we asked her for a dish recommendation, ordered that, then watched her write down the apps and dish. 40 minutes later, we asked for our main dish (just the chicken casado!), and she said "oh, did you order?" Also, we were told some incorrect information before we decided to eat there that we could drink our own bottle of wine with no problems, so then an hour later when we sat down to eat, we were told they checked with the owner and now there was a $15 corkage fee (our bottle was only $12).... that's more than I pay in many US restaurants! We eventually worked it out somewhat but were disappointed. There are several restaurants that are about a 10 min walk away from the hotel, so those might be better options.
2) The only other negative thing is that when we went to check out, we paid with $40 worth of colones and a $100 US bill for our ~ $98 charge. Since we were in a rush to the airport, we did not check, but found out we were given only $20 worth in change. I can't say this was intentional, as perhaps with the mixed currency there was just confusion, but it was disappointing to say the least, esp when we got to the airport and had to pay $29 pp in taxes! So just make sure you check your change when paying with cash (to get your discount).
If you're not eating at the restaurant (unless you have a lot of time to kill), I would highly recommend this place. If not for those two things, Adventure Inn would have an excellent rating. Overall, this is probably the best value hotel I've been to in a while. Oh, and read the "rules" by the door inside the rooms.... quite interesting!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern value-priced 3.5 star San Jose hotel convenient to both the airport and city with free airport shuttle service*. Enjoy a full American and Tico buffet and hot ordered breakfast; 34 spacious smoke-free rooms with A/C, cable, free international phone calls, safe ($1 extra), two new queen beds and a modern tiled bath; a nice restaurant and bar opening into our new outdoor pool complex, full wifi throughout, four guest computers, a new ten-piece gym, car rentals, central to Costa Rica's biggest and best tours, and unequalled travel help and advice. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Adventure Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Adventure Hotel San Jose
- Adventure San Jose
- Adventure Inn Costa Rica/San Jose