“Convenient to airport, great for the price”
Review of Adventure Inn

Adventure Inn
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Convenient to airport, great for the price”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our group of five really enjoyed staying at Adventure Inn, both for the convenience to SJO airport and because it was outside of San Jose (we wanted to avoid driving in the city). We stayed there for three non-consecutive nights and each experience was great. The room was spacious and clean, no major noise problems while we were there, and a decent, large breakfast was included with the stay. We ate at the hotel's restaurant for dinner as well, which was not the best but it was convenient. The staff members were friendly and helpful. We also rented a car through the hotel which worked out perfectly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ash-nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
germany
Reviewed December 28, 2012

After searching tripadvisor for decent accommodations in San Jose saw that adventure inn was listed as #2, and for the price, it looked like a good value. We originally were supposed to stay our first and last nights at the Adventure Inn, but after a major snafu with Delta airlines we ended up getting routed through Nicaragua and had to spend our first night in Managua. Mike and Eric were extremely accommodating with our travel issues, and still arranged for us to meet the rental car company the next day at the San Jose airport. I must mention that I ended up renting a car through Adventure Inn, which worked out so well because we only had 6 days in Costa Rica and we like to be able to come and go as we want. We also found our hotel in Manuel Antonio through their website.
So for the hotel itself, they clearly have done a great job to add some American comforts to the ecological philosophy that is a common theme throughout Costa Rica. The decor is comfortable and thoughtful, despite what another review had said. The pool was the highlight for our six year old, and the jacuzzi was much appreciated by my husband after our travelso
through the country. The staff were all very helpful from the moment we entered. Bathrooms are easily accessible in all areas. Our room was located in the main corridor so I suppose we were spared some of the noise from the pool and restaurant area that I read in other reviews. I would imagine that the white noise from the AC would block out most outside noises anyway. Our AC worked great. I was also so thankful for the extra pillows on the beds and the hand towels, since we had been traveling in the ecological manner for the last week. That can often be a challenge with the messes a 6 year old can create. The beds were great, and as we requested we had our 4:15am wake up call and a breakfast waiting for us when we checked out. That was so nice of them, because it really did make a difference once we arrived at the airport. The taxi was early for the airport, and I was very glad we decided to rent the car through them so that we did not have to return a rental car and worry about arriving for our flight on time.
There was really only one downside to our stay, and even this was not a major thing since there are other nearby restaurants. The Moon Glow offers an array of American and Costa Rican dishes. We opted for something easy by ordering nachos, a chicken sandwich and a hamburger. Service was a bit on the slow side, even though our server was very sweet. There was complimentary garlic bread served, but it was burned and looked to have either margarine or oil poured over it after it had been toasted. We normally think of garlic toast being toasted after the oil and seasonings have been applied. One of the staff then told us that the hamburgers were still frozen (this a faux-pas in restaurants- no one wants to know they are ordering a frozen piece of meat - just say you are out of hamburgers!) and so we substituted for spaghetti. Our food was served, and I was a little surprised by the tiny salad that came in a ramikan. The French fries appeared to be homemade, although a little soggy, but nothing some salt and mayo couldn't help. My husbands nachos were soggy and the appearance was not esthetic. I should mention that my husband is an ex-chef, so food does not go unnoticed by him. It was my suggestion to try to make things easy since we had to get up before the crack of dawn. The chicken sandwich was not too bad. I am curious if the Costa Rican dishes are better. The strawberry daiquiri was pretty good, and as I mentioned because we had a lot of other pluses like the pool, cable, Internet, great beds, towels, in room coffee, etc. I can forgive the poor meal, and it was not overly expensive. In fact, my husband will extend an invitation for consulting services for the kitchen, as he thinks that is a missed opportunity for such a great hotel!
Overall, we would recommend this hotel and if we travel to San Jose again we will stay again. We really want to thank the staff for accommodating us, especially with all of our travel changes.

Room Tip: It sounds like one may need to list a preference of where they want their room located, especially i...
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed one night before moving on in Costa Rica. Hotel was charming, clean and perfect for a night or two. Due to location near airport and not in downtown San Jose, would not recommend it for a long stay since there is so much to see and more beautiful locations in Costa Rica. Restaurant was good, and this was an all-around perfect place to go on the way to or from the airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thanks for your comments. The Adventure Inn is easy to find, in a safe, convenient location midway between the city centre and airport in the picturesque mountainous outskirts of San Jose. We are in Los Arcos, Ciudad Cariari, an exclusive neighborhood of elegant homes, parks, restaurants, shopping, four and five star hotels, casinos, bowling and a large upscale mall with a CineMax. Our location is in the heart of tour country offering one day tours such as canopy zip-lines, rafting, hot springs, volcanos, butterfly farms, coffee and waterfall tours, etc. Central San Jose is just a convenient and short public bus or taxi ride away. However if you do go into San Jose at night, it is best to use taxis to get around. They are generally safe, reliable, plentiful and inexpensive. After experiencing the action of San Jose day or night, most people are happy to return to our safe, quiet, unpolluted, and uncongested Adventure Inn neighborhood for a restful nights sleep.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I would normally give this a rating of 3 but I would have given a 5 based on service alone. I needed a place for just the night as I had an early flight the next morning. They responded to my concerned emails that they are open 24/7 and so late check-ins are not a problem. Their email correspondence is excellent and the last email i got was several pages long, loaded with great general travel information regarding different topics from general safety to money and insects which I found very helpful.

As for the rooms, I was not crazy about the room I got which is facing the interior atrium (I think it is enclosed at the top) because the only windows faced this courtyard and you could hear the restaurant across the way and the jalousied windows in the bathroom felt a little too close for comfort with anyone able to walk by. All of this is solvable by shutting the windows and drawing the blinds and then turning on the ac for a little white noise. I later read in TripAdvisor to request a room facing the back or second level which is a great idea. I asked for the most economical room so maybe that was part of the problem. The walls were hand-painted with trees and birds which I thought felt a little more appropriate for children, which I realized might have been done to make up for the lack of a view. I was not crazy about the bedding or sheets but otherwise, the room was clean and neat and had a convenient desk area and had wonderful coffee available in a large tin. The tv reception was awful but there was plenty of wifi and you can even make free calls to the US and Canada which i thought was great but was too tired to take advantage of. I did not have the energy to check out the rest of the hotel - bar, restaurant, pool, gym.

In general, the hotel was much bigger than I had expected. It is a homey and cheery overall. I would not hesitate to stay here again as it offers a wealth of convenience, such as the free taxi to the airport at 5:45 in the morning with a small breakfast to go!

Room Tip: I read that rooms facing the back are quieter but not necessarily facing the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zengrl
AdventureInn, Owner at Adventure Inn, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
The two storey solarium, that some of our rooms face into, is open at the top to allow breezes through, and it is transparent to allow natural light, yet keep the rain out. Many people prefer these rooms as they have a minimum of outside noise that may disturb some light sleepers, plus they have close access to the pool, ideal for kids.

All of our beds are less than a year old, queen-size semi-orthopedic hotel quality beds, not sure what we could have done there. We have cable TV, perhaps there was a loose connection, too bad the reviewer didn't bring it to our attention at the time. We presently have an artist painting most of the walls throughout the hotel in a Mayan jungle theme, and have about fifty statues throughout the hotel made by actual Mayan craftsmen, which I guess could be interpreted as childish if you know little about their ancient culture.

The reviewer was too tired to call home with our free international calls, nor did he or she have the energy to check out the bar, restaurant, pool and gym, so I am not sure why the review was even written with only limited knowledge of the hotel. It seems the longer people stay with us, the more they discover why they like us.
Barrie, Ont
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The first time my husband & I stayed here we were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations & service; so much so that we have stayed 3 more times and will definitely stay again. The rooms are very spacious, clean & comfortable. The staff (front desk, restaurant and at the bar) have always been friendly and helpful. We have had dinner here every time we have stayed and find the food is always delicious - really love the fried tortilla's with guacamole & picco de gallo with a cold cervaza (or two) sitting outdoors by the pool. The pool & outdoor area has always been clean & inviting. We were also pleasantly surprised that we were able to call back to Canada for FREE - as often as we liked while staying at Adventure Inn. There is a small work-out room - haven't used it but it has at least a treadmill & bike (may be other things in there but I can't remember). There are also 4 computers available for guests to use as well there is WiFi (didn't work in our room (not sure why not) but it worked in the bar). The price of the room includes a full breakfast - I asked for a three egg-white omelet with veggies - and that is what I got - again delicious. If you have to check-out before they start serving breakfast they will make you a meal to go - sandwich, drink & freshfruit. They offer free shuttle service to the airport (they may offer pick-up at the airport - we have never required this service).

While in Costa Rica we stayed at a rather expensive hotel in Manuel Antonio - we much preferred our stay & accommodation at Adventure Inn - it is a great deal - I really don't think you will be disappointed.

We plan to be back to Costa Rica in 2013 and we know we will be staying at Adventure Inn again!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doodles99
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed here for two nights on our way out of Costa Rica recently.

The hotel itself is a little difficult to find, being on a side street parallel to a highway, and we got lost in some of the gated communities nearby trying to get to it initially. Once we were there, things were fine. There is parking on site, but at times of peak occupancy, not all visitors will be able to get a parking spot.

The rooms are basic and large, clean and comfortable. It can be a bit noisy here if there are large groups staying, but that isn't really a problem when considered in light of the noise that is so prevalent in San Jose. The decor and appliances are somewhat dated, but fully functional.

We didn't quite get the same warmth from the staff that others here have reported - perhaps we didn't quite 'get it' because we are not from North America. We certainly were never made to feel unwelcome; it's just that we didn't quite get the homely feeling that other reviewers have described.

The hotel rate includes transport to the airport, however, it isn't an in-house shuttle, rather they pay for a taxi to get you there. It wasn't a problem for us, but I can imagine that at times of peak demand, this could potentially be an issue for some.

It's a good value hotel, and if you want a no fuss place to stay, then this place fits the bill nicely.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at the Adventure Inn at the start and end of our week long vacation in Costa Rica. We arrived after a long day of flying. The hotel provides transportation from the airport. We walked right outside and found our van driver with a sign with my name on it. After getting our bags into the van, the drive to the hotel was about 20 mins. Check in went fast and smooth. The restaurant was about to close, but they were nice enough to make us dinner. The room was spotless and the beds very comfortable. We all got a great nights sleep. Breakfast was included with the price and was very good. They offered about 6 different choices. I highly recommend the Adventure Inn. A wonderful, small, boutique inn.

1 Thank TayBay05