“Lovely hotel, shame about the location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Del Museo

Posada Del Museo
Ranked #44 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, shame about the location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 separate occasions now, so clearly it is a decent enough place to keep drawing me back. Every time I have arrived I have had a member of staff greet me by name (I wasn't the only guest there either!) and then go out of their way to help me and make sure I was comfortable. The rooms are fairly large and clean, the bathrooms have a shower but no bath. The first time I stayed there I struggled to get hot water as did my friends but the trick to the taps is you have to turn them on slowly and gradually and once the water is warm you can turn them up more (I'm not sure why but trust me it worked). The only problem with this hotel is that it's very close to the railway line and it is unbelievably noisy. I was told that the train lines were built after the hotel and if that's the case then it's very unfortunate. The first night I stayed there was a Sunday and the trains didn't seem to be running during the night but 5am on the dot on Monday I was woken up by a train horn right outside my bedroom which scared me half to death. The other 2 nights that I stayed there the train ran all night and to say sleeping was difficult would be an understatement.

I would recommend this trip for a night, it's a basic hotel but it's clean, has hot water, TV and free wifi access. I think for longer stays I would struggle as I couldn't sleep due to the trains and that would definitely impact on me.

Room Tip: Try get one away from the train lines, it's still not going to be silent but it makes a massive...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RachaelBee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Lovely historic building, now hotel and extremely sweet, helpful, staff. Even young lady at café was very sweet. The small hotel is on the corner of a busy street (pretty quiet at night) and a pedestrian-only cobblestone street. A block away is the court house, so morning and evenings legal staffs, etc., walk to and from work—interesting people watching. The mention of a train that passes right next to the hotel concerned me. (Always take ear plugs when traveling.) I come from a quiet town and the train didn’t even wake me at 6:00 a.m. The train, filled with Ticos, adds a certain charm. The rooms are lovely and all bathrooms have been newly remodeled. Very clean sheets, towels, etc. Hot water. Internet. Stayed there when we arrived and returned before leaving. Coffee and pastry included at café each morning. Good prices and willing to upgrade upon arrival. I had no problem with any hotel in Costa Rica regarding reservations and prices. Did it all in advance, online, and paid. No confusion about taxes, etc. A trip to Costa Rica is an adventure--roll with it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the corner suites arriving and departing. Maybe a bit noisy, but ear plugs and exhaust...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Posadadelmuseo, Director de Recepción at Posada Del Museo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for giving us your opinion, not only about your stay in our hotel but also your experience during your trip in Costa Rica. We are happy that everything went on smoothly and that you enjoyed it.

Best regards,

The staff
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was not the height of luxury, but I still enjoyed it very much. I found it charming, and breakfast in the morning (free) was downstairs at the attached cafe. Eating fruit and toast and reading the paper in the cafe as people strolled down the sunlight street to work in the morning was lovely.

Ok sure, the train goes by and starts blowing its horn at 6 a.m. But I think that all of Costa Rica wakes up by then. Otherwise the street noise was very minimal. I live in NYC, so maybe I'm immune. But my one night there was very pleasant, and the front desk staff was helpful even late at night when I arrived. The lobby was stunning, and the hotel felt very safe behind a locked gate at night. Internet use on the lounge computer was free.

My room was small and had the tiniest bathroom ever, but again, I live in NYC, so I'm used to tiny living spaces. It was also neat and quaint, and had a few modern touches like paper lamps on the bedside tables. It might not be perfect for everyone, but for the price and location -- a short walk to the rest of downtown -- it was perfect for me. If you can tolerate an urban environment in a Central American country, you will be fine here. And if you can't, then just stay at one of the boring Americanized hotels somewhere else. I thought it was lovely, and if I liked San Jose more as a city I would have stayed at this hotel longer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Hilary444
Lyon, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

the hotel Posada is well located next to the town center and seems to promise a peaceful and comfortable stay. but in reality it is a very noisy place, next the railway. the initial price is given without the tax, service is far from being friendly. Moreover despite our booking in advance we discovered upon our arrival, that we had been transferred across the road into a modern flat which had nothing in common with the nice colonial house of the advert. breakfast is included but very basec considering the price range. very expensive for what it is...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank quetzal7
Posadadelmuseo, Gerente at Posada Del Museo, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
We always appreciate comments either positive or negative, they are a means to improve . 0ur goal is to provide an excellent service and this is a must when hiring employees.Fortunately we can say we have a great staff., always kind and helpful. . This is why I am surprised to hear that the staff was not friendly.

We are sorry about the misunderstanding with the taxes, our web page clearly says that the 13% of Costa Rican taxes is not included on the rate. Regarding breakfast, it is a continental breakfast so it includes fruit, cheese, toasts, butter, marmalade , juice,and either tea, coffee or hot chocolate .

I can only apologize once again because we had to give you a room across the street. Unfortunately the day of your stay we had a guest on the hotel who got sick and was forced to stay two extra nights with us .We had no more rooms in the house . Because of his condition we decided to give you another room instead of moving the sick person. Room which is not on the main building but as comfortable and as well equipped as any other room on the hotel .

Again I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.
Bryan, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This hotel is in a great location in San Jose (eat at Nuestra Tierra down the block!). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are roomy and have a private bath. I would agree with other travelers...location a tad noisy. My only complaint is that we were put in the room right behind the front desk and the walls are THIN. Listened to the staff and the phone late into the night. Ask for a room upstairs, is my only suggestion.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Let's start with saying this hotel provided us with excellent service, very helpful and kind and gave good restaurant suggestions. Our Tortuguero trip was suddenly cancelled, and late at night they helped us to book a new tour.

The room was very spacious, clean and they have their own driver who can pick you up at the airport. We loved the homemade cakes and quiches from the Posado Cafe, where you have also the included breakfast. The free Wifi in the rooms worked also good.

Our room was in the front of the hotel, so no 'quiet pedestrain area' for us. A busy road and ofcourse the train. We noticed the train from 6 am till around 10 pm, several trains in an hour. The hotel doesn't have insulated glazing so you hear that train very well. The noice of the train isn't that bad, but the honking of the train is. Because the traintrack runs on streetlevel, it has to honk a lot. So you here it coming towards you from a distance.

I would recommend this hotel because of the service, nice people, and good rooms but the train is a pity.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HidWoen
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

The hotel staff is wonderful. The owners are always around and the wife, Sylvia speaks
perfect english.
The hotel is beautifully furnished. And my room large and had huge windows.
The location is far enough away from the center of downtown San Jose-but close enough to walk to the casnios, museums, parks and shopping.
There is a train that went right by the hotel-but this added to the charm. It only operates during the day.
There is no smoking at the hotel-and I smoke.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo