“charming, centrally located”
Review of Posada Del Museo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Jose
Posada Del Museo
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed March 29, 2011

This was not the height of luxury, but I still enjoyed it very much. I found it charming, and breakfast in the morning (free) was downstairs at the attached cafe. Eating fruit and toast and reading the paper in the cafe as people strolled down the sunlight street to work in the morning was lovely.

Ok sure, the train goes by and starts blowing its horn at 6 a.m. But I think that all of Costa Rica wakes up by then. Otherwise the street noise was very minimal. I live in NYC, so maybe I'm immune. But my one night there was very pleasant, and the front desk staff was helpful even late at night when I arrived. The lobby was stunning, and the hotel felt very safe behind a locked gate at night. Internet use on the lounge computer was free.

My room was small and had the tiniest bathroom ever, but again, I live in NYC, so I'm used to tiny living spaces. It was also neat and quaint, and had a few modern touches like paper lamps on the bedside tables. It might not be perfect for everyone, but for the price and location -- a short walk to the rest of downtown -- it was perfect for me. If you can tolerate an urban environment in a Central American country, you will be fine here. And if you can't, then just stay at one of the boring Americanized hotels somewhere else. I thought it was lovely, and if I liked San Jose more as a city I would have stayed at this hotel longer.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Hilary444

Reviewed March 9, 2011

the hotel Posada is well located next to the town center and seems to promise a peaceful and comfortable stay. but in reality it is a very noisy place, next the railway. the initial price is given without the tax, service is far from being friendly. Moreover despite our booking in advance we discovered upon our arrival, that we had been transferred across the road into a modern flat which had nothing in common with the nice colonial house of the advert. breakfast is included but very basec considering the price range. very expensive for what it is...

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank quetzal7
Posadadelmuseo, Gerente at Posada Del Museo, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

We always appreciate comments either positive or negative, they are a means to improve . 0ur goal is to provide an excellent service and this is a must when hiring employees.Fortunately we can say we have a great staff., always kind and helpful. . This is why I am surprised to hear that the staff was not friendly.

We are sorry about the misunderstanding with the taxes, our web page clearly says that the 13% of Costa Rican taxes is not included on the rate. Regarding breakfast, it is a continental breakfast so it includes fruit, cheese, toasts, butter, marmalade , juice,and either tea, coffee or hot chocolate .

I can only apologize once again because we had to give you a room across the street. Unfortunately the day of your stay we had a guest on the hotel who got sick and was forced to stay two extra nights with us .We had no more rooms in the house . Because of his condition we decided to give you another room instead of moving the sick person. Room which is not on the main building but as comfortable and as well equipped as any other room on the hotel .

Again I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

Reviewed June 16, 2010

This hotel is in a great location in San Jose (eat at Nuestra Tierra down the block!). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are roomy and have a private bath. I would agree with other travelers...location a tad noisy. My only complaint is that we were put in the room right behind the front desk and the walls are THIN. Listened to the staff and the phone late into the night. Ask for a room upstairs, is my only suggestion.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Let's start with saying this hotel provided us with excellent service, very helpful and kind and gave good restaurant suggestions. Our Tortuguero trip was suddenly cancelled, and late at night they helped us to book a new tour.

The room was very spacious, clean and they have their own driver who can pick you up at the airport. We loved the homemade cakes and quiches from the Posado Cafe, where you have also the included breakfast. The free Wifi in the rooms worked also good.

Our room was in the front of the hotel, so no 'quiet pedestrain area' for us. A busy road and ofcourse the train. We noticed the train from 6 am till around 10 pm, several trains in an hour. The hotel doesn't have insulated glazing so you hear that train very well. The noice of the train isn't that bad, but the honking of the train is. Because the traintrack runs on streetlevel, it has to honk a lot. So you here it coming towards you from a distance.

I would recommend this hotel because of the service, nice people, and good rooms but the train is a pity.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HidWoen
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The hotel staff is wonderful. The owners are always around and the wife, Sylvia speaks
perfect english.
The hotel is beautifully furnished. And my room large and had huge windows.
The location is far enough away from the center of downtown San Jose-but close enough to walk to the casnios, museums, parks and shopping.
There is a train that went right by the hotel-but this added to the charm. It only operates during the day.
There is no smoking at the hotel-and I smoke.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank telfareg
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We recently stayed 4 nights in this hotel, at the start of a 6 week trip around Costa Rica. We looked around quite a few hotels in San Jose and were definite we chose the best one! This hotel should be much higher up the list than it is! We stayed in Mariposa, the big room at the back of the hotel, much quieter than the Magnolia room, so I would recommend it. Yes, there is still some noise, but this is a city, not the middle of the jungle!!! We were treated so well by all the staff, who were very helpful, and extremely friendly to our 3 year old daughter. The hotel building dates from 1928, is a beautiful old house with delightful architectural features, it really has lots of character which we loved. The cafe next door was a nice place for breakfast (included), although it was a little pricey for dinner. The hotel is set on a pedestrian street in a lovely area of the city, and just across the road from the museum. I would recommend this hotel highly and would definitely stay there again! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank LJcoolJ
Reviewed August 8, 2009

If you are looking for a luxury hotel or the conformity of a chain hotel (where you could just as easily be in Cleveland as Costa Rica), then this is not your place. This hotel is clean, charming and reasonably-priced. My fiance and I don't spend a lot of time in any hotel when we're traveling, we prefer to be out doing activities and mainly want a clean, safe place to sleep, shower, and relax a bit during our brief downtimes. That's why this hotel was perfect for us. We stayed twice: the first two days and final two days of our vacation.

We were a short walk from the city center and the museums, as well as several good restaurants; exactly what we wanted. And we received excellent assistance coordinating and booking the day trips we wanted to make to areas surrounding the city of San Jose.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple