“Cute & relaxing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 1492

You added Hotel 1492 to your Saves list
Hotel 1492
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Calle 31-33, Avenida Primera, #2985 | Barrio Escalante, 300 metros al este del parqueo trasero del Cine Magaly, San Jose 10101, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cute & relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Cute little b&b ~ fun, cheerful décor. Lovely garden area out back, where guests eat breakfast. Would stay here again. Not sure about the area as we did not do much exploring. No swimming pool or fitness area but was required to rate below (hence the low rating).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cummington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

First time I've ever experienced bedbugs. Ughh! The itch is terrible. This hotel is bad. The train starts blowing the whistle at 5:30am and again every 15 minutes after that there is another train.

They told me that they emailed me to confirm my reservations, but I didn't respond and they held the room anyway. I'm not sure why they would do this as I had already confirmed the room with a credit card previously. They said they tried to contact me when I was in the rainforest not sure how I could check my email in the rainforest. When I got home and checked my email. . . it was a lie. They never tried to contact me.
Also, I had to ask for towels and the man checked my room first to make sure that I knew where to look for the towels.
Wow, I've had such good experiences in Costa Rica before that I am amazed to find this terrible place.

Room Tip: Don't sleep here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Deutschlandsberg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms clean and spacious, the interior is ageing. The hotel is not far from the main road and in a save area with some good restaurants. In the night it's quite, but from 6 o'clock in the morning there are passing noisy trains (it's not only the trains: they're blowing the horn every second because of the railway crossings, so it's definitely not possible to sleep longer).
Breakfast: poor, with hot drink not worth calling it a coffee.

• Stayed November 2013
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place was great. I spent two nights here in April 2013 and was very pleased. My room was clean, it was away from the main street and therefore quiet (except for one night when there was a birthday party but that was fine because we all ended up being invited!), and breakfast was simple, tasty, and peaceful. For unlimited coffee, really fresh fruit, eggs, and toast, served in a garden in the hotel, for $5, what's not to like?

If I can find one negative, it's that you're a bit far from the down town area, but really only a 15-20 minute walk. There are excellent restaurants right around the corner.

I was even able to book a nice city tour through this hotel, with pick up and drop off at the hotel. Definitely worth it.

J. Ernesto was great to deal with, and extremely pleasant. Great guy.

I'd stay there again, for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here 1 night before setting off on our tour of Costa Rica. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Room was clean and spacious and we got a good nights sleep. Th hotel is a short walk from downtown San Jose, and just around the corner from some very nice restaurants.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We spent 2 nights at hotel 1492 with my family (5) during our trip to Costa Rica, we were very pleased by the service, the warm welcome and the support for transfers, advises... The hotel was nice, authentic, colonial style, clean, breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Casa 69
Casa 69
#3 of 66 in San Jose
4.5 of 5 stars 553 reviews

Been to Hotel 1492? Share your experiences!