“Bedbugs!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Cummington, Massachusetts
“Bedbugs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

First time I've ever experienced bedbugs. Ughh! The itch is terrible. This hotel is bad. The train starts blowing the whistle at 5:30am and again every 15 minutes after that there is another train.

They told me that they emailed me to confirm my reservations, but I didn't respond and they held the room anyway. I'm not sure why they would do this as I had already confirmed the room with a credit card previously. They said they tried to contact me when I was in the rainforest not sure how I could check my email in the rainforest. When I got home and checked my email. . . it was a lie. They never tried to contact me.
Also, I had to ask for towels and the man checked my room first to make sure that I knew where to look for the towels.
Wow, I've had such good experiences in Costa Rica before that I am amazed to find this terrible place.

Room Tip: Don't sleep here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Deutschlandsberg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms clean and spacious, the interior is ageing. The hotel is not far from the main road and in a save area with some good restaurants. In the night it's quite, but from 6 o'clock in the morning there are passing noisy trains (it's not only the trains: they're blowing the horn every second because of the railway crossings, so it's definitely not possible to sleep longer).
Breakfast: poor, with hot drink not worth calling it a coffee.

• Stayed November 2013
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place was great. I spent two nights here in April 2013 and was very pleased. My room was clean, it was away from the main street and therefore quiet (except for one night when there was a birthday party but that was fine because we all ended up being invited!), and breakfast was simple, tasty, and peaceful. For unlimited coffee, really fresh fruit, eggs, and toast, served in a garden in the hotel, for $5, what's not to like?

If I can find one negative, it's that you're a bit far from the down town area, but really only a 15-20 minute walk. There are excellent restaurants right around the corner.

I was even able to book a nice city tour through this hotel, with pick up and drop off at the hotel. Definitely worth it.

J. Ernesto was great to deal with, and extremely pleasant. Great guy.

I'd stay there again, for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here 1 night before setting off on our tour of Costa Rica. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Room was clean and spacious and we got a good nights sleep. Th hotel is a short walk from downtown San Jose, and just around the corner from some very nice restaurants.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We spent 2 nights at hotel 1492 with my family (5) during our trip to Costa Rica, we were very pleased by the service, the warm welcome and the support for transfers, advises... The hotel was nice, authentic, colonial style, clean, breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I can't say enough great things about this place. It's small and the owner and his wife are almost always around to be super helpful and kind.

My partner and I are vegetarian. When we asked about a restaurant on the first night that might be safe to walk to, the owner's wife said she'd give us a ride as she was headed that way anyway. In the car she gave us the best local's orientation possible! On another night the owner walked us down the block to point out a place he thought we would like. Also when it was time to leave they called and confirmed a cab for us! This kind of hospitality and professionalism made a major difference in our whole vacation! We can't express enough gratitude.

On top of all that it's in a nice quiet neighborhood. We met other visitors who complained that San Jose was loud and crowded, but staying here that was not at all our experience. We loved morning breakfast, not only was it fresh but their courtyard is lush a beautiful--perfect way to start the day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple