“Clean, Safe, and overall, Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Van Gogh

Hostel Van Gogh
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Clean, Safe, and overall, Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 21 day trip throughout Costa Rica. Upon arriving, picking up friends from the airport, and finally our departure, we stayed at this hostel three different times. It is clean, feels completely safe, and is very comfortable. Beautiful showers, beautiful facilities (which include a fantastic outdoor pavilion where the kitchen is located) and beautiful people! David, the owner, is not only very friendly and helpful, but is very knowledgeable about Costa Rica and has an obvious love for his country.

We loved our stay and the next time we go south, we will definitely hit this place up again!

Thanks!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed here my first night in San Jose before catching a 6am bus out to Nacoya. After arriving at my next destination, I realized that I no longer had my ipad on me. I assumed I had lost it in transit but decided to contact the hostel just in case I happened to leave it there. The hostel got back to me immediately and told me that they found it and would hold on to it throughout my trip. On my last day, I returned to San Jose to pick it up.
Besides being incredibly honest and accommodating, the hostel itself was amazing. It's a great location, with restaurants and nightlife near by. It was clean and safe and the ownership was incredibly friendly. I would never stay anywhere else other than this hostel and suggest that anyone passing through San Jose stay here as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Really friendly staff that takes the time to answer all your questions. He serve free breakfast in the mornings and lets you borrow his television to watch movies. It's also the cleanest hostel I've ever been to, and they have five-star hotel standard on the bathrooms! The hostel is located in a quiet street, but is only 5 minutes walk from the main avenue. Recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Was passing through on our way to Monteverde. Staff are friendly and helpful. Wifi very good. Common area and pool table looked good. Towels provided, but not lockers. No key to the front door (they buzz you in) but very secure. Bunk was a little rickety and foyer light shined into dorm.

Area has all you need - ATM and reasonable restaurant around the corner. A cheap can ride from the bus station.

Ok for an overnighter but I wouldn't stay here longer.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed here one night with four friends. Although clean, free pool table and reasonable kitchen, the beds were uncomfortable in the mixed dorm room, there's no lockers for your stuff and only one toilet and shower for each gender! E,g. Imagine if there was 16 girls staying, then you cannot shower if you've a deadline to leave...also breakfast starts after most people have had to leave to see volcanoes/ trips etc. Found the staff unhelpful. Note there's a midnight curfew, so no partying beyond 12, which we found out after payment.
Probably a decent hostel if travelling alone, but personally would definitely recommend hostel Urbano in San Jose, same price but fantastic facilities, such great staff, fun and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Note no lockers, only dorms, one toilet and bathroom per gender
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have had my weird experiences with TA reviews about hostels in Central America and van Gogh is another one. I have no idea how people can rate a hostel with 5 stars when...

- ...there are NO lockers in the dorm rooms
- ...the mattresses are so thin you have the feeling you might as well sleep on the floor
- ...there is only one bathroom (shower and toilette) for each men and women
- ...they don't even have a map of San Jose for you
- ...the guy at the reception has a hard time trying to find the nearest ATM
- ...you pay your bill for 2 nights (12,000 Colones) with 2 x 10,000 Colones and they do not even care about coming back to you for your change the whole day

While the last 3 points might not be important for anyone or may have been just an exception, I just feel like especially in bigger cities a hostel and the staff is way more important than in smaller places. I was so lucky and happy with my hostels in Guatemala City (Quetzalroo) and San Salvador (JoAn's) and van Gogh is so far away from those places.

The location, however, seems to be really good and it is very clean. Maybe I have been spoiled with other hostels but it definitely not one of the better hostels I have stayed in during my travel through Central America.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Meirionnydd : Cymru ~ Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had a great time at Hostel Van Gogh. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the hostel is huge and in a great location. It's a beautiful old building which is a few blocks from the center of the city.
I met lots of people here and watched movies every night with the owner David and the other people who were staying there. I felt so welcome here thanks to David. He's a great guy and is able to answer any questions you have.
The breakfast is amazing and the kitchen is great - everyone who was staying got together and made a delicious meal there.
I would go back here again and if you want a great place to stay in San Jose - this is it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo