“Service with a smile”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 27, 2015

I learned about Costa Rica Expeditions on Trip Advisor and contacted them to see if their suggestions would be useful. I was pleasantly surprised to get a full compliment of suggestions for anything I needed for my trip to Costa Rica, accommodations, activities, transportation, and the like. Priscilla, who handled my requests was wonderful, as was everyone else. I appreciated the quick responses, being able to responding to my questions, needs and concerns. Once all the arrangements were completed, there was follow up as the trip was approaching, and while in Costa Rica I received daily reminders of the next day's itinerary and schedule.

I started my plans with my local travel agent, but found more comfort with Costa Rica Expeditions and also found better ideas and pricing on some matters. Their knowledge is far superior than what i could expect from my local travel agent.

I strongly recommend using Costa Rica Expeditions, for friendly reliable service.

Date of experience: October 2015
2  Thank MARSImperial
Camila R, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2015

Dear MARSImperial,

We are honored to read that you chose working with CRE over other private day tours companies. Priscilla has been working with Costa Rica Expeditions since 1997, and her responsiveness and warmth towards our guests is as impressive as her deep knowledge of the country and what it has to offer travelers. All that makes her a great person to help plan out your private day tours.

We’re proud of Priscilla and the rest of our team.

Thank you again for your review. We are really pleased to read that we were able to impress you with our service and availability.

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed October 26, 2015

From the initial interaction through to the vacation itself this company was a pleasure to deal with. We had our own custom itinerary designed for us taking into account our love of birdwatching and nature photography. The vacation was a real adventure we saw so many amazing things. The turtle nesting and hatching was so special and something that I will never forget. We stayed in Tortuguero and Rio Celeste and both locations were spectacular and the accommodation was great. We had tours with just us our own guide which is worth the small extra cost. I would highly recommend Costa Rica Expeditions. It costs more than some companies but it is well worth paying the extra.

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank Emma E
Camila R, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2015

Dear Emma E,

It’s great to read that from the beginning of your vacation it was a pleasure working with CRE. Customize your private day tours throughout your stay is our primary job and we thrilled to know that you fill it was worth paying the extra.

Our motto is Legendary Service and Unforgettable Memories. We believe that vacation time is precious, and shouldn’t be wasted worrying about the details – leave that to us while you relax and enjoy a new country and unique experience.

Thanks again!

Reviewed September 22, 2015

We are seasoned travelers and have always planned the trips overseas ourselves, both because we like to think we know how to do this reasonably well and to save money. But we used Costa Rica Expeditions for an eleven day tour of CR. In the main office, Gustavo worked with us as we refined the trip to fit our budget while experiencing this beautiful country. After countless emails Gustavo remained pleasant, patient, and professional. We stayed at the two CRE lodges in Tortuguero and Monteverde and at a different lodge in Arenal. The Arenal cabins were just fine in most respects, but we had been a bit spoiled by the attentiveness we received at the CRE lodges and from their tour guides. With CRE, there was always backup and follow through. Their food, which was included for all meals in Tortuguero, was imaginative and plentiful. All this made for an excellent trip, well worth the price we paid. We highly recommend Costa Rica Expeditions.

Date of experience: September 2015
4  Thank Rick S
Camila R, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2015

This guest experienced a wide variety of activities while on customized private day tours with Costa Rica Expeditions. This is the greatest advantage of having us plan your private day trips, we’ll put together as many different kinds of activities as you want to experience while you are here.

Gustavo Mendez is a talented Travel Planner; he was thrilled to see the review!

Reviewed September 7, 2015

If you are looking for a stress free vacation with excitement, beautiful accommodations and excellent service, then look no further than Costa Rica Expeditions. I loved the way I could customize my own family vacation by simply expressing what we wanted to do and Luis took care of the rest. Our transportation to attractions were always on time, the hotels were beautiful with friendly staff and the food was fabulous! My teenage children got the exciting, fun trip they wanted; from river rafting to zip lining and rappelling down a 160ft waterfall - the adventure was amazing!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank Jaimie T
Camila R, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2015

Dear Jaimie T,

It’s great to read that working with CRE allowed you to experience so much of Costa Rica in a stress free fashion. Getting to see how much your children enjoyed the water rafting and the zip-lining tours is part of what makes your trip so valuable, and I’m glad Costa Rica Expeditions was able to help set up your exclusive adventure day tours along the way.

I’m thrilled to read that CRE was able to help provide a great customized trip to Costa Rica – we hope it won’t be your last.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 6, 2015

Let me start this review by letting you know that I have very high expectations, I am very detailed, and I ask a lot of questions. Initially, I was skeptical. The last time I used a tour company was for my honeymoon 33 years ago before the internet made doing these things yourself so effortless. But, not knowing the areas and wanting to cram a lot into two weeks, I wanted some expertise...and that is exactly what I got!

I worked with Luis and he did a great job helping me plan our trip to Costa Rica, which was a surprise trip for my husband's 60th birthday. Now that the trip is over, I feel that Luis gave me some very sound advice in terms when to rent a car and when not to, in which order to do our travelling, when to do certain activities, and so on. At the very last minute, my eldest son and his wife decided to join our trip and Luis jumped right on getting things set. This entire company is great about emailing and I appreciate that. I travel a lot and when I did not respond to Luis's email in a couple of days, he would check in with me to make sure that I actually got it.

So, even though I have high expectations, I also know that things can and often do go wrong. We had an issue with some ground transportation and what I appreciated was they manner and speed with which this issue was handled and resolved. Once CRE became aware there was an issue, they were right on it...and so nice the whole time. The problem with having used CRE is that they set the bar so high, that other companies will always fall short. For example, CRE drivers always offer you water, not so with other drivers. CRE drivers are mini tour guides as they are driving, not so with other drivers. When we were with CRE, we felt as though they wanted us to be there, not so with other companies.

If you are going to Torteguero or Monteverde, stay in the places that are owned by them, Tortuga Lodge and Monteverde Lodge, respectively. This same high level of expectations carries over in their properties and their staff (you can see my individual reviews of their properties). As I say above, things happen, especially in the service industry and especially when dealing with people like me with very high expectations. The fact that I would stay at these places again and that I would highly recommend them should speak volumes. Their attention to detail is impressive!!!

I would absolutely use CRE again...and again...and again, although I am not sure when I will return to CR....but I have already told some friends about them....they are that good.

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank Sue1009

Dear Sue1009,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay in Costa Rica. Even for experienced trip planners like yourself, it’s good to know that we can serve as a resource for lining up customized private day trip. After all, why should you have to study Costa Rica’s 11 regions, 50 prime lodges, and over 100 possible activities? Not to mention the logistics of transportation between destinations, which if you’ll ask any visitor to Costa Rica are far more daunting than they look on the map!

Thank you again for your review. We are really pleased to read that all the representatives of Costa Rica Expeditions you encountered were able to impress with their service and availability.

Love to see you again in Costa Rica!