“Trip of a lifetime!”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 7, 2015

If you are looking for a stress free vacation with excitement, beautiful accommodations and excellent service, then look no further than Costa Rica Expeditions. I loved the way I could customize my own family vacation by simply expressing what we wanted to do and Luis took care of the rest. Our transportation to attractions were always on time, the hotels were beautiful with friendly staff and the food was fabulous! My teenage children got the exciting, fun trip they wanted; from river rafting to zip lining and rappelling down a 160ft waterfall - the adventure was amazing!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank Jaimie T
Camila R, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2015

Dear Jaimie T,

It’s great to read that working with CRE allowed you to experience so much of Costa Rica in a stress free fashion. Getting to see how much your children enjoyed the water rafting and the zip-lining tours is part of what makes your trip so valuable, and I’m glad Costa Rica Expeditions was able to help set up your exclusive adventure day tours along the way.

I’m thrilled to read that CRE was able to help provide a great customized trip to Costa Rica – we hope it won’t be your last.

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed September 6, 2015

Let me start this review by letting you know that I have very high expectations, I am very detailed, and I ask a lot of questions. Initially, I was skeptical. The last time I used a tour company was for my honeymoon 33 years ago before the internet made doing these things yourself so effortless. But, not knowing the areas and wanting to cram a lot into two weeks, I wanted some expertise...and that is exactly what I got!

I worked with Luis and he did a great job helping me plan our trip to Costa Rica, which was a surprise trip for my husband's 60th birthday. Now that the trip is over, I feel that Luis gave me some very sound advice in terms when to rent a car and when not to, in which order to do our travelling, when to do certain activities, and so on. At the very last minute, my eldest son and his wife decided to join our trip and Luis jumped right on getting things set. This entire company is great about emailing and I appreciate that. I travel a lot and when I did not respond to Luis's email in a couple of days, he would check in with me to make sure that I actually got it.

So, even though I have high expectations, I also know that things can and often do go wrong. We had an issue with some ground transportation and what I appreciated was they manner and speed with which this issue was handled and resolved. Once CRE became aware there was an issue, they were right on it...and so nice the whole time. The problem with having used CRE is that they set the bar so high, that other companies will always fall short. For example, CRE drivers always offer you water, not so with other drivers. CRE drivers are mini tour guides as they are driving, not so with other drivers. When we were with CRE, we felt as though they wanted us to be there, not so with other companies.

If you are going to Torteguero or Monteverde, stay in the places that are owned by them, Tortuga Lodge and Monteverde Lodge, respectively. This same high level of expectations carries over in their properties and their staff (you can see my individual reviews of their properties). As I say above, things happen, especially in the service industry and especially when dealing with people like me with very high expectations. The fact that I would stay at these places again and that I would highly recommend them should speak volumes. Their attention to detail is impressive!!!

I would absolutely use CRE again...and again...and again, although I am not sure when I will return to CR....but I have already told some friends about them....they are that good.

1  Thank Sue1009

Dear Sue1009,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay in Costa Rica. Even for experienced trip planners like yourself, it’s good to know that we can serve as a resource for lining up customized private day trip. After all, why should you have to study Costa Rica’s 11 regions, 50 prime lodges, and over 100 possible activities? Not to mention the logistics of transportation between destinations, which if you’ll ask any visitor to Costa Rica are far more daunting than they look on the map!

Our motto is Legendary Service and Unforgettable Memories. We believe that vacation time is precious, and shouldn’t be wasted worrying about the details – leave that to us while you relax and enjoy a new country and unique experience.

Thank you again for your review. We are really pleased to read that all the representatives of Costa Rica Expeditions you encountered were able to impress with their service and availability.

Love to see you again in Costa Rica!

Reviewed September 3, 2015

CRE was introduced to us by a friend with the highest recommendations. We just returned from a 10 day trip that Luis Cubero planned for us and my friend's recommendations are all true. We stayed the first night in Santa Ana, then off to Tortugero, Arenal and finally Tamarindo Beach in Guanacaste. We enjoyed all the hotels and activities and each and everyone of the guides and drivers was professional, genuinely welcoming and knowledgeable. CRE made it a totally hassle free fun trip for us. Now we're in love with this country and its people!

Dear Lok-Kwan,

We’re honored to have helped with your Costa Rican trip. It’s great you got to work with Luis, especially given some of the lovely locations you visited on your journey. Luis is a former geographer and knows Costa Rica back to front, so he’s the perfect guy to help plan your customized private day tours in places like Tortuguero.

It’s great to read that organization went like clockwork. That’s what we shoot for, as it allows our guests to focus exclusively on enjoying their vacation and discovering Costa Rica.

Reviewed August 12, 2015

Our group of 9 just returned from a 10 day trip organized by Costa Rica Expeditions - we had a blast. Fabulous adventures, beautiful hotels, spectacular scenery and throughout the service was superb! We travelled by taxi, bus, boat and small plane and all transfers worked seamlessly - drivers were punctual, polite, knowledgeable and friendly - made every part of the trip relaxing and enjoyable. The tours that Elena suggested were just right for what we wanted - her knowledge and responsiveness to changes or suggestions was excellent. I would be more than happy to recommend Costa Rica Expeditions to anyone who wants to visit Costa Rica. I cannot wait to go again!

2  Thank LiLBrit
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2015

Dear LiLBrit,

We’re thrilled to read about how much you and your group of 9 enjoyed your trip through Costa Rica. Experienced travel planners like Elena are happy to help set up private day tours for groups ranging in size from a bigger one like yours, to just a couple, to solo travelers. It sounds like you had a wide variety of activities, and were able to explore much of Costa Rica.

We look forward to helping you plan on your next trip to Costa Rica, and are proud to have your recommendation.

Natalie Ewing

Director Marketing & Guest Satisfaction

See more reviews
Reviewed August 8, 2015 via mobile

Yes, our trip included amazing activities including white water rafting on the world renowned Pacuare River, green sea turtle experience, wild life motorboat adventures, many hikes through the rain forest and Costa Rican food galore. Yes, our trip included a variety of terrific accommodations including Rios Tropicales and Tortuga Lodge. But the thing that made this trip outstanding was the warmth, care and professional delivery of services provided by the wonderful guides who were native Costa Ricans. Our week long guide, Jonathan, was friendly, informative, funny, caring, and put service above self.

Our group included 8 college friends who were all 60 years old +. We get together often but this trip allowed us to be adventurous, test ourselves and at the same time afforded more laughing with our many guides then I thought was possible.

Luis, Alex, Sulan, were all perfect guides and hosts. I sprained my knee on day 2 of the trip and the care and sensitivity of Alex and Luis was beyond the call of duty. Alex wrapped my knee very professionally, secured a walking stick and checked on my knee often- even massaging the fluid out of my knee. Luis - the Captain of the supply raft, on this trip, made room for me his raft on day 3 of the trip and navigated the class 3 and 4 rapids ensuring I was safe and he was very engaging. My knee went from stiff and swollen to very functional in less than 30 hours.

In addition, these young man were authentic, sincere and made us feel as though we were part of their daily excitement. They were a great combination of "take charge" and helpful at the same time. They made us all feel very young. A 69 year lady on our trip was in good shape but needed assistance often- they were very helpful and took great care of her. They accommodated all of our needs and requests with smiles and enthusiasm.

Best trip ever. Best care ever. Best guides ever.

1  Thank DCP09
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2015

Dear DCP09,

Wow! What a review. We are thrilled to see feedback like this. It sounds like you really had a wide range of Costa Rica Expeditions exclusive private day tours on your travels, and got a little of everything the country has to offer.

Like you, we believe that it is the guides that truly make the difference on a trip. Like you, we also think this is especially important given the parameters of your trip - a group of college friends who are all 60 + and exploring a unique country (how incredibly fun by the way). Rest assured that we will pass your complements on to the guides you interacted with, and we’re really proud to have Alex and Louis on our team, after reading about the care they gave to your hurt knee.

Whether people should include a naturalist guide for all or part of your vacation depends. It depends on you and it depends on the guide.

For many travelers, without question, the right guide can be the single most important element of a successful trip.

Walking through the forest with a great naturalist guide is akin to experiencing a dramatic work of art---even if you don't see one single beast. The guide conjures up humor, tragedy suspense and you are at center stage. Some people even cry. Everybody laughs; Everybody learns; Everybody’s lifetime memories are enhanced.

Guides take the hassle out of travel. They provide education, insight into the host culture and often simple friendship.

I’m glad to see that in this case you and your various guides seem to have really connected.

Natalie Ewing