“Best Vacation Ever!”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed June 30, 2015

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed June 22, 2015

My husband, son and I travel a lot. I usually plan all of the trips myself. However, for Costa Rica, I decided to turn to the experts-Costa Rica Expeditions. We flew in to San Jose and visited the Osa Peninsula and the Arenal Volcano area for 8 days, 7 nights. From beginning to end, it was seamless and so pleasant.

Aside from their supreme planning and attention to detail, Priscilla Jiminez and the entire Costa Rica Expeditions staff is exceptional! Neils greeted us at the San Jose airport and provided us with a great overview of our vacation to come. He was always a welcome sight throughout our trip and a great first introduction to the Costa Rican people.

Both Irma and Mauricio were excellent drivers to and from La Fortuna/Arenal, respectively. I really loved and appreciated the opportunity to practice my Spanish with them on the drive as well as get to know them. They were so pleasant and patient with my Spanglish. Most of all, they both are a wealth of information about the region and Costa Rica in general, giving us a much better understanding of the country and its people.

Having everything so well planned, receiving their reminders about the next day's pick up and activities, and the incredible accommodations at each stage of the trip made Costa Rica one of our best trips to date and we travel extensively. The activities and pace were perfect for our needs and preferences.

I certainly would not hesitate to recommend Costa Rica Expeditions to family and friends. I will definitely use their services again in the future!

3  Thank kpcod
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2015

Dear Kpcod,

Thank you for taking the time to review Costa Rica Expeditions. Even for experienced trip planners like yourself, it’s good to know that we can serve as a resource for lining up customized private day trip. After all, why should you have to study Costa Rica’s 11 regions, 50 prime lodges, and over 100 possible activities? Not to mention the logistics of transportation between destinations, which if you’ll ask any visitor to Costa Rica are far more daunting than they look on the map!

On a related note, I was pleased to read how comfortable you were with your Costa Rica Expeditions drivers, Irma and Mauricio. Our drivers are certainly fountains of information about the country, and that’s great you got to work on your Spanish! Safe, comfortable and enjoyable transportation between destinations can really make the difference on a trip, and make even time on the road a part of the vacation experience.

Vacation Time is Precious!

Reviewed June 21, 2015

We used CRE to plan our 13 night honeymoon in the country. They designed a fantastic itinerary that met our needs and preferences really well, out planner was Luis Cubero (we even bumped into him in one location - such a nice guy!). Our itinerary was the perfect mix of luxury and immersion in the country and culture, we loved every second of it! We stayed in Tortugero, Monterverde, Osa Peninsula and Bajos del Torro, a brilliant mix of climates and experiences. While we were in-country, all our transfers, pick ups, luggage movements etc went like clockwork, we never had to worry about anything, there was always a guide or driver or set of tickets waiting for us exactly when and where they said they would be. All the guides, drivers and staff were helpful, friendly and keen to point out all the interesting flora and fauna along the way. We cannot recommend them highly enough.

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank alison_zoe

Dear alison_zoe,

We’re honored to have helped with your Costa Rican honeymoon. It’s great you got to work with Luis, especially given some of the remote locations you visited on your trip – you truly got off the beaten path and into some beautiful areas of the country. Luis is a former geographer and knows Costa Rica back to front, so he’s the perfect guy to help plan your customized private day tours in places like the Osa Peninsula.

It’s great to read that organization went like clockwork. That’s what we shoot for, as it allows our guests to focus exclusively on enjoying their vacation and discovering Costa Rica.
Vacation Time is Precious!

Reviewed June 19, 2015

Using Costa Rica Expeditions to design our 10-day vacation allowed us to explore so much of the country in the most fun and hassle-free way. This company will work with you to match an itinerary to your wishes. They arranged for us to participate in naturalist guided tours and participate in activities we specified like zip-lining or enjoying Arenal's hot springs. I was so impressed with the quality of all of the locations they organized for us to visit or stay at - the entire trip went off without a hitch, allowing us to just enjoy ourselves and really feel like we were getting to do the all of the best of what Costa Rica has to offer. Everyone was friendly and helpful, the food was incredible, and even when our airport departure seemed to be at risk because of a tropical storm targeting Houston, they responded to my inquiries that should we run into problems and not be able to depart from San Jose, just contact them and they would arrange for whatever we needed. Luckily this was not necessary and we departed as originally planned, but it is really nice to know that whatever happens, you'll have the support of a very well-organized and competent team behind you! I'll post individual reviews for the actual locations we visited but I am confident that whatever your interests, Costa Rica Expeditions will be able to put together an outstanding package tailored to your interests and budgets. Highly recommended!!

1  Thank 296kristenj
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2015

Dear 296kristenj,

Thank you for this great review. We’re glad that you enjoyed your time in Costa Rica, and that Costa Rica Expeditions was able to help you customize your private day tours throughout your stay. Helping you “explore so much of the country in the most fun and hassle-free way” is exactly the service we hope to be providing!

I was especially glad that you felt able to rely on our team when a tropical storm threatened your travel plans. For people who use Costa Rica Expeditions to help with their plans, we want to be there and put the resources and organization we’ve developed over four decades of planning private tours throughout the country at your disposal.

Vacation Time is Precious,

See more reviews
Reviewed June 1, 2015

I was so very pleased by my experience with the travel agency Costa Rica Expeditions. I wanted to visit several of the nature areas of Costa Rica, a place I had never been to before. I told them the destinations, how many nights I wanted to be in each, and the kinds of activities I would be interested in. I don't speak Spanish, so I added that I wanted them to arrange my transportation between the destinations. Then CRE quickly recommended an excellent itinerary, including lodgings of course, that fit my parameters, at the price level I chose. With all the pesky details taken care of by CRE, my vacation went as smooth as silk. I had a great vacation. CRE was very easy to work with, efficient, and helpful for instance with tips about what to expect, to wear, etc. I was met by CRE representatives at various junctures in the trip, to welcome, and steer me along the next step. And their drivers to transport me between destinations always appeared on time, and delivered me after a pleasant trip that often included pointing out wildlife, etc.

Date of experience: May 2015
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2015

Dear BigEasyTraveler-23,

Thank you for this great review. It really lays out what we want to be all about, and I’m glad you so enjoyed your vacation.

Our motto is Legendary Service and Unforgettable Memories. We believe that vacation time is precious, and shouldn’t be wasted worrying about the details – leave that to us while you relax and enjoy a new country and unique experience.

Thanks again!