“Could not have been better!”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 21, 2015

We used CRE to plan our 13 night honeymoon in the country. They designed a fantastic itinerary that met our needs and preferences really well, out planner was Luis Cubero (we even bumped into him in one location - such a nice guy!). Our itinerary was the perfect mix of luxury and immersion in the country and culture, we loved every second of it! We stayed in Tortugero, Monterverde, Osa Peninsula and Bajos del Torro, a brilliant mix of climates and experiences. While we were in-country, all our transfers, pick ups, luggage movements etc went like clockwork, we never had to worry about anything, there was always a guide or driver or set of tickets waiting for us exactly when and where they said they would be. All the guides, drivers and staff were helpful, friendly and keen to point out all the interesting flora and fauna along the way. We cannot recommend them highly enough.

1  Thank alison_zoe
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2015

Dear alison_zoe,

We’re honored to have helped with your Costa Rican honeymoon. It’s great you got to work with Luis, especially given some of the remote locations you visited on your trip – you truly got off the beaten path and into some beautiful areas of the country. Luis is a former geographer and knows Costa Rica back to front, so he’s the perfect guy to help plan your customized private day tours in places like the Osa Peninsula.

It’s great to read that organization went like clockwork. That’s what we shoot for, as it allows our guests to focus exclusively on enjoying their vacation and discovering Costa Rica.

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed June 19, 2015

Using Costa Rica Expeditions to design our 10-day vacation allowed us to explore so much of the country in the most fun and hassle-free way. This company will work with you to match an itinerary to your wishes. They arranged for us to participate in naturalist guided tours and participate in activities we specified like zip-lining or enjoying Arenal's hot springs. I was so impressed with the quality of all of the locations they organized for us to visit or stay at - the entire trip went off without a hitch, allowing us to just enjoy ourselves and really feel like we were getting to do the all of the best of what Costa Rica has to offer. Everyone was friendly and helpful, the food was incredible, and even when our airport departure seemed to be at risk because of a tropical storm targeting Houston, they responded to my inquiries that should we run into problems and not be able to depart from San Jose, just contact them and they would arrange for whatever we needed. Luckily this was not necessary and we departed as originally planned, but it is really nice to know that whatever happens, you'll have the support of a very well-organized and competent team behind you! I'll post individual reviews for the actual locations we visited but I am confident that whatever your interests, Costa Rica Expeditions will be able to put together an outstanding package tailored to your interests and budgets. Highly recommended!!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank 296kristenj
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2015

Dear 296kristenj,

Thank you for this great review. We’re glad that you enjoyed your time in Costa Rica, and that Costa Rica Expeditions was able to help you customize your private day tours throughout your stay. Helping you “explore so much of the country in the most fun and hassle-free way” is exactly the service we hope to be providing!

I was especially glad that you felt able to rely on our team when a tropical storm threatened your travel plans. For people who use Costa Rica Expeditions to help with their plans, we want to be there and put the resources and organization we’ve developed over four decades of planning private tours throughout the country at your disposal.

Vacation Time is Precious,

Reviewed June 1, 2015

I was so very pleased by my experience with the travel agency Costa Rica Expeditions. I wanted to visit several of the nature areas of Costa Rica, a place I had never been to before. I told them the destinations, how many nights I wanted to be in each, and the kinds of activities I would be interested in. I don't speak Spanish, so I added that I wanted them to arrange my transportation between the destinations. Then CRE quickly recommended an excellent itinerary, including lodgings of course, that fit my parameters, at the price level I chose. With all the pesky details taken care of by CRE, my vacation went as smooth as silk. I had a great vacation. CRE was very easy to work with, efficient, and helpful for instance with tips about what to expect, to wear, etc. I was met by CRE representatives at various junctures in the trip, to welcome, and steer me along the next step. And their drivers to transport me between destinations always appeared on time, and delivered me after a pleasant trip that often included pointing out wildlife, etc.

Date of experience: May 2015
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2015

Dear BigEasyTraveler-23,

Thank you for this great review. It really lays out what we want to be all about, and I’m glad you so enjoyed your vacation.

Our motto is Legendary Service and Unforgettable Memories. We believe that vacation time is precious, and shouldn’t be wasted worrying about the details – leave that to us while you relax and enjoy a new country and unique experience.

Thanks again!

Director Marketing& Guest Satisfaction

Reviewed May 31, 2015 via mobile

We had a perfectly arranged tour for 8 days by Costarica expeditions. Our planner was Priscilla Jiminez, since this was our first tour, she captured the three most visited places in CR- Arenal, Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio. She listened to our requests and adjusted the tour to our requests, always plesant. The tour was choreographed very well, the hotels were all beautiful resorts, transfers were on time and the staff is amazing ( including all the drivers , guides and operations Personel). Will definitely use their service again.

Dear TobyMom6,

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed working with Priscilla Jimenez. She’s really an excellent travel planner, and very caring and attentive to what her guests are after. She has been with us since 1997 – her first gig out of college. Priscilla especially loves working with guests who are in Costa Rica to celebrate something, like a wedding or an anniversary or a recently emptied nest.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2015 via mobile

Having recently returned from a trip to Costa Rica I feel I need to 'spread the word' about the exceptional service we received from Costa Rica Expeditions, the company based in Costa Rica, who arranged a great itinerary in this fascinating country. Prior to departure the travel consultant, Gustavo, was always on hand to answer any queries.

During the trip when we wanted to make changes to the itinerary our requests were met without question and with patience.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Costa Rica Expeditions, and I am already considering another trip to see the parts of Costa Rica we did not have time to visit.

1  Thank Corinne C
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2015

This guest says that she is already planning her next trip to Costa Rica and wants to see other parts of Costa Rica.

We offer private day trips in any region of Costa Rica, once we understand your interests and preferences and we will suggest the private day trips that we think are the best fit.