“Highly, Highly, Highly recommend Costa Rica Expeditions!”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 8, 2015

I highly recommend Costa Rica Expeditions if you are planning a trip to this beautiful country. I was about to give up even going to Costa Rica because attempting to do the travel planning myself was too time consuming and too hard to narrow down all the options. I read about Costa Rica Expeditions and filled out their questionnaire. The next day, our wonderful travel planner, Priscilla reached out to me and within a week of back and forth, she had put together a great itinerary and all the t's were crossed and the i's were dotted. What a relief!
Once we got to Costa Rica, every associate from Costa Rica Expeditions was there where they said they would be when they said they would be there. The execution of our plans were flawless. Our nature guide Ligia was just the best, most awesome guide ever. She taught us so much about the flora and fauna as well as endured our enthusiastic but flawed attempts at Spanish. She was an absolute pleasure!
All the Lodges and activities planned for us were just great and exactly what we were looking for. The providers of the activities were also pleasant and accommodating.
Costa Rica is a fantastic country and a must visit destination. I highly recommend traveling there to anyone and I can't sing any more higher praise for Costa Rica Expeditions and the work they did putting the trip together.

2  Thank DVMRVA
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2015

I’m so glad that you mentioned how much you enjoyed your private day trips with your Naturalist Guide, Ligia.

Ligia started working in Costa Rica back in 1986 with her degree in biology in hand. She then went on to get her MBA and married a Dane which we affectionately call “the Viking”. After years of living, working and sailing their sail boat in South East Asia, they have moved back to Costa Rica to settle down.

Her insight and ability to link what you are likely to see in the field here, with her experience in other areas of the world has meant that Ligia is once again delighting guests in the field!

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed April 8, 2015

Osa Peninsula is a very special corner of the world. The beauty of the area was made even more memorable by the outstanding accommodations and lodge staff. All the guides during our 10-day Costa Rica trip were exceptionally knowledgeable, wonderful stewards of the land, and great companions. Even our drivers stopped to allow us to absorb the country...the fruit stands and unusual trees en route, a detour to see crocodiles in their natural habitat, and delicious traditional meals by the sea.

Date of experience: February 2015
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2015

This guest mentions the quality of the guides that led their private day trips. When we design customized day trips for guests, we make a big effort to hand pick the guides so that there is the best possible match. Different guides have different areas of expertise in terms of knowledge and experience in the field and also different areas of expertise in terms of the type of guest are the best fit for.

When you contact us for your private day tours, and you decide to travel with your own private guide, your Travel Planner will carefully select the best guide for you. If for example you are traveling with children, then your Travel Planner will pick a guide that is great with kids and that is able to interpret the rainforest for kids. If on the other hand you are an expert birder or a natural history buff that wants to learn a little bit about a lot of things, then we will pick a guide that is well versed in your field of interest.

One of the most important ways that we believe a guest can significantly upgrade an experience, it to add a private Naturalist Guide.

Reviewed April 5, 2015

Although, upon my return from Costa Rica, I have mail to open, bills to pay, and errands to take care of, I am putting all of that on hold so that I can write this review to state what a pleasure it was working with Costa Rica Expeditions.
Elena Monge was our travel planner. I asked many, many questions over quite a few months. Elena got back to me right away and answered every question thoroughly. She always made me feel as though my questions were good ones and was respectful, professional, and delightful. She made me feel as though I were very important and gave me a lot of individualized attention. While in Costa Rica, there never was a time when I felt as though I were alone. When our flight was cancelled due to a volcano eruption, a Costa Rica Expeditions representative immediately contacted me to explain how our plans were changed. He made everything stress-free for us.
The trip was fantastic. Everything that was promised to me was carried out and exceeded my expectations. The staff members at all of the lodges we stayed at were so friendly and willing to help us in every way possible. The Pacuare Lodge, Tortuguero Lodge, Nayara Villas, and The Peace Lodge were wonderful experiences; Elena did a great job recommending them! The activities and tours that we did on the trip were one-of-a-kind experiences and we loved all of them! They were perfect suggestions for us.
I can't tell you enough how wonderful the staff of Costa Rica Expeditions was to work with and how they provided memories for us during this trip that will last a lifetime. We travel a lot but this vacation was the most fun that my husband, adult children, and I have ever had!
I HIGHLY recommend Costa Rica Expeditions. I had never heard of them before I started planning my vacation, but chose them because of an article written by National Geographic. They designed a fantastic itinerary and every day, made sure that our trip ran smoothly. Use their services. You will be really happy that you did so.

Date of experience: March 2015
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2015

Thank you for the wonderful review of your private day trips in Costa Rica!

Of the many wonderful things that you wrote, the ones that I liked the most are:

“…The activities and tours that we did on the trip were one-of-a-kind experiences and we loved all of them! They were perfect suggestions for us…”

That’s what customizing is all about, we fit what you are hoping to do the time and budget that you give us to work with.

“…I can't tell you enough how wonderful the staff of Costa Rica Expeditions was to work with and how they provided memories for us during this trip that will last a lifetime…”

The mission that we train our staff with is, Legendary Service and Unforgettable Memories, after all that is the only thing our guests are going to be able to take home with them. Our hope is that the day trips that our guests experience will be so unique and special that they will tell stories about them for years to come.

“…While in Costa Rica, there never was a time when I felt as though I were alone…”

You’re right, when guests book their day trips with us, we follow up every day. It’s not always necessary for us to make contact with you, but it is necessary to be a few steps ahead reconfirming and making sure that everything is going to take place exactly the way we planned. In the event of a landslide, volcanic eruption, illness, lost item or any other event, out Operations Staff will take care of everything. We handle these kinds of things so that you don’t have to.

Reviewed April 5, 2015

Costa Rica Expeditions, Nadya and the operations group did a fantastic job or planning and executing a fantastic vacation. All of our wishes were considered when designing the itinerary. This included types of locations but also specific travel and diet restrictions. Everything was executed like clockwork with wonderful guides and drivers throughout. I wish they managed tours in other countries for future vacations. I would definitely use them again in Costa Rica. If you have any doubts - don't! This is a premiere travel group who manages all details.
Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

Date of experience: April 2015

Thank you very much for sharing how much you enjoyed planning your private day tours with our Senior Travel Planner, Nadya Shaw.

When you come to us you get customized planning, arranging and operation of your private day trips. We hand pick the locations, activities, guides and even the menu depending on what you want to do.

If you’d like to work with Nadya, just let us know!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2015

Elena,
When we began talking, I thought I was giving you an easy assignment: a group trip (group provided) in which everyone would do the same thing each day. Well, it didn't turn out quite that way! With your help, we refined our daily schedule and activities, to be sure, but didn't believe we would be asking you about language school, home stays, arrival on different days and different flights, extensions to the beach...the list is long and you accommodated us all with a smile (at least it always felt as though you were smiling over the phone), excellent communication and it all worked out. Not only that, but you arranged for sweaters and medicine to be returned to owners from one site to another and to provide bags of your own favorite blend of Costa Rican coffee. You are a wizard! Pura vida! Jim S.

Date of experience: March 2015
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with other people considering our services how much you enjoyed planning your private day tours with our Travel Planner, Elena Monge. I can guarantee you she was smiling on the phone, she is super soft spoken a sign of how sensitive she is to what her guests hope to experience on their private day trips.

Elena is from San Marcos de Tarrazu, a mountainous region in the Costa Rica central highlands that is renowned for its award winning coffee. As a child, Elena spent most of her summers working with her family on their coffee plantation. To this day, she says that she is passionate about all things coffee and one of the things she most enjoys is spending her summer weekends with her faamily picking coffee. It was in the coffee fields that Elena learned to interact from people of all walks of life, from the hard working labors to buyers.

Elena's second passion is languages. Aside from her native Spanish, Elena speaks English, French, some Italian and basic German. Her love of people and languages combined perfectly for her career in the travel business. She has only been with Costa Rica Expeditions since 2010, but she has a total of 15 years of experience as a Travel Planner. When not following up with guests that are in Costa Rica, designing private day trips or surveying the coffee plantation, Elena enjoys music, catching up with friends and dancing.

If you’d like to work with Elena, just let us know!