“A Perfect Honeymoon!”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Costa Rica Expeditions did an amazing job planning our honeymoon. We worked with Elena Monge, who couldn’t have been more flexible and accommodating with our itinerary. The first itinerary that Elena sent us wasn’t quite what we were hoping for (we were looking to get outside, meet locals and get out of our comfort zone), but after explaining what we were looking for, Elena changed up the plan and it was fantastic. The hotels we stayed at were top notch, all our transfers were on time and the drivers/staff and guides provided by Costa Rica Expeditions were friendly, polite and extremely knowledgeable and willing to share their experiences of life in Costa Rica. The only downside is that if you’re looking to stay at a hostel or to get a true experience of Costa Rican living arrangements, Costa Rica Expeditions may not be able to arrange that for you. That being said, we organized a portion of our trip for ourselves (a stay in Puerto Viejo) and Costa Rica Expeditions provided transportation to and from Puerto Viejo and to and from the activities we did in Puerto Viejo. So, it might be possible to arrange your own lodging and still work with Costa Rica Expeditions.

Date of experience: July 2014
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Adam P,

It’s great to see that you were able to set up the trip you had in mind and we had a hand in making that happen. You are right to mention that we don’t book hostels, mostly since we cannot vouch for the level of service you will get from them, which is a thing we take very seriously. We do, on the other hand book activities that can help you get in touch with the local community so that you get to experience a deeper sense of what Costa Rica is like . An example of this is located in Tortuguero where we have a program called “Word Adventure” where we offer our guests the opportunity to teach local children how to speak English.

Though this program is just for the Tortuguero area, it’s just an example of the type of tours that we could be able to arrange for you. We are very much overjoyed that you would want to participate in activities that would require more contact with our country and its people since we believe that’s what’s traveling is all about.

I have let Elena Monge know how great you felt about the job she did for you. We always appreciate whatever feedback we can get since it helps us get better at what we do.

Thank you for taking the time to write to tell us how your trip went!

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We wanted to plan a vacation to Costa Rica. Having never been there, I decided to use a service. It was my first time and I was a little nervous about putting everything in the hands of someone else but I have to say I couldn't have been more pleased. Our trip was 10 days and we went to 3 different locations. Everyone involved with the company, from drivers to pilots to guides, were very friendly and helpful. On the 3 hour ride to Arenal, our guide, Marcia, said we would get there early in the day and the rest of the day was ours. She asked if there was anything we wanted to do. We told her we wanted to go rappelling in waterfalls and, during the ride, she took care of getting our reservations and letting us know what the cost would be. She even came with the driver to take us to our adventure. On our trip back from Quespos to San Jose, our driver asked if we had seen everything we wanted. I said that the only 2 things I missed was the squirrel monkey and the crocodiles. He took care of the crocodiles...he dropped us off at the bridge for the Tercoles River and then met us on the other side. Crossing the bridge we saw over 30 crocs! There is nothing about our trip that I can complain about. Costa Rica Expeditions provided outstanding service every step of the way.

1  Thank lbalon

Dear lbalon,

It is wonderful to read a review such as the one you posted where we have a guest that really enjoyed himself and appreciated all that we did for him.

That extra effort that was shown by both your guide and your driver are very characteristic of our staff since we really do want our guest to enjoy their vacation time as much as possible. Small details such as the ones you mentioned end up making a big difference in the overall enjoyment and appreciation of your time here. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed these extra touches so much.

I am sorry that you missed the squirrel monkey but maybe we can make it up to you one day!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your trip went.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

The people of Costa Rica are its greatest treasure: warm, sincere, polite, personable, well-educated, helpful, and considerate. There is so much national pride evident in the way that they interact with others and respect the land and its inhabitants. My kids will never again appreciate a zoo because they have seen how animals behave in their natural habitats.

The educational value in EVERYTHING we saw and even things we didn't think to ask about was a very pleasant surprise. The personal guides went way above and beyond by learning about each one of us and anticipating or responding to our every need and/or interest. The hotels were all charming and amazing--no generic chain hotel experiences.

The uniqueness of the excursions and the warm, articulate, and personal service were unparalleled. I appreciated the confident and definite opinions about which hotels and/or activities would suit our preferences.

Every single person we encountered, from the initial email, to the final drop off for home, was stellar. Honestly, I wish there were organizations this well run to cover every part of the world, as we would certainly use this level of service on all of our future travels.

Costa Rica is even more amazing than you can imagine. The people are beautiful in every way, the food is incredible, the wildlife is abundant, and there is so much unspoiled nature. Costa Ricans are very proud of their country, as well they should be. You should not even consider planning a trip there without Costa Rica Expeditions because they will do everything for you and it won't cost you any more than if you were to research and plan it all yourself.

The overall cost was more than we've ever spent on a family vacation, but in the end, we felt we got every penny's worth and more. This was the easiest and one of the most fulfilling travel experiences we have ever had.

Date of experience: June 2014
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear LindaShane1019,

Reading a review like the one you posted is a wonderful thing!

Not only do I feel that you appreciated what we did for you, but I feel you really appreciated our country and its people and that is far and above what we in the tourism business strive to do daily in our job.We try to show you Costa Rica through our eyes. I am very happy you enjoyed our people, our places and what we offer our guests.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to write us to tell us how your vacation went.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I just got back from a week in CR with my 12 year old son, and I can't say enough great things about what Costa Rica Expeditions did for us. They planned the whole trip, all transfers, hotels and activities. We were escorted by professional and friendly people from the moment we walked out of the airport until we walked back at the end of the week. We stayed at CR Expeditions two properties in Tortuguero and Monteverde and both were very beautiful and comfortable and the staff were extremely friendly and caring. For example, after returning from every hike or boat trip we were greeted by smiling staff members offering us fruit drinks and cold towels. The most remarkable part of the trip was our naturalist guide, William Granados, who was with us through all of our travels in CR. He knew everything about everything and explained it perfectly for my son and for me, he made sure that we got everything we wanted at the resorts, and is just an all around great conversationalist and great guy. The most remarkable example of the service we were given was when were starting the long drive/boat ride from SJ to Tortuguero, William had figured out that the highway would probably be blocked by a taxi strike and arranged a flight to get us there.
I don't think I've ever rated anything online, but I feel a huge debt of gratitude to these guys. The heading here is "Private Day tours" and they planned our whole, trip, so I might copy this review in another category.

Date of experience: July 2014
1  Thank Brian973
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Brian973,

Thank you for letting us know what a great vacation you had with us.

I have let all of the staff at both of our lodges as well as William Granados, know how well you felt and how much you appreciated all of their efforts. William has a background in Agricultural Engineering, Natural History and Vulcanology which I think is reflected on the huge amount of information he is able to share with our guests. Plus he loves being outdoors which makes him perfectly qualified to be a full time guide! He told me he greatly enjoyed traveling with you and he believes the success of the whole trip was due to the group effort that was done by everybody at the lodges, the main office and the guides.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at both of our lodges since they are very different from each other. We do try to maintain the same level of customer service available throughout our both properties and we have had guests that have remarked on this. I hope you were able to see that yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to post how your vacation went. Knowing it was such a success is a huge reward for us.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We just got back from an 9 day trip to Costa Rica (Quest for Pura Vida) led by Costa Rica expeditions. Our family included my Mom (75) and my daughter (13). Both of them had enough to do and experience to make it a fantastic experience. Cost Rica expeditions put together a wonderful itinerary. The travel planners were responsive to all of our questions.

The best part was our wonderful naturalist guide, Jonathan Ramirez and driver Pablo. Jonathan was a fount of information about all of the flora and fauna, but more importantly, he was truly kind and cared about our wellbeing and experience. As frequent travelers, I highly recommend Costa Rica expeditions - lovely country, nice people and great food.

2  Thank Bombaybabe
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Bombaybabe,

It was wonderful to read that you, your mom and your daughter enjoyed our Quest for Pura Vida trip so much.

I will let Jonathan and Pablo know how much you enjoyed their company while you were here. Jonathan is originally from Siquirres, a steamy lowland town that marks the place where Costa Rica takes a dip into the Caribbean not only through its geography but through its food. Did he tell you about a dish called Rondon? It’s like a seafood gumbo cooked in coconut milk. It’s quite delicious.

I will tell him how much you appreciated his kindness. I am sure he will be thrilled to know how much he contributed to your trip.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your trip went!