“BEST VACATION DECISION, EVER!”

Costa Rica Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 132 Tours in San Jose
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Costa Rica Expeditions, unique travel experiences since 1978.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The people of Costa Rica are its greatest treasure: warm, sincere, polite, personable, well-educated, helpful, and considerate. There is so much national pride evident in the way that they interact with others and respect the land and its inhabitants. My kids will never again appreciate a zoo because they have seen how animals behave in their natural habitats.

The educational value in EVERYTHING we saw and even things we didn't think to ask about was a very pleasant surprise. The personal guides went way above and beyond by learning about each one of us and anticipating or responding to our every need and/or interest. The hotels were all charming and amazing--no generic chain hotel experiences.

The uniqueness of the excursions and the warm, articulate, and personal service were unparalleled. I appreciated the confident and definite opinions about which hotels and/or activities would suit our preferences.

Every single person we encountered, from the initial email, to the final drop off for home, was stellar. Honestly, I wish there were organizations this well run to cover every part of the world, as we would certainly use this level of service on all of our future travels.

Costa Rica is even more amazing than you can imagine. The people are beautiful in every way, the food is incredible, the wildlife is abundant, and there is so much unspoiled nature. Costa Ricans are very proud of their country, as well they should be. You should not even consider planning a trip there without Costa Rica Expeditions because they will do everything for you and it won't cost you any more than if you were to research and plan it all yourself.

The overall cost was more than we've ever spent on a family vacation, but in the end, we felt we got every penny's worth and more. This was the easiest and one of the most fulfilling travel experiences we have ever had.

Date of experience: June 2014
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear LindaShane1019,

Reading a review like the one you posted is a wonderful thing!

Not only do I feel that you appreciated what we did for you, but I feel you really appreciated our country and its people and that is far and above what we in the tourism business strive to do daily in our job.We try to show you Costa Rica through our eyes. I am very happy you enjoyed our people, our places and what we offer our guests.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to write us to tell us how your vacation went.

All reviews
"tortuga lodge"
in 79 reviews
"travel planner"
in 44 reviews
"naturalist guide"
in 37 reviews
"monteverde lodge and gardens"
in 13 reviews
in 28 reviews
"manuel antonio"
in 40 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I just got back from a week in CR with my 12 year old son, and I can't say enough great things about what Costa Rica Expeditions did for us. They planned the whole trip, all transfers, hotels and activities. We were escorted by professional and friendly people from the moment we walked out of the airport until we walked back at the end of the week. We stayed at CR Expeditions two properties in Tortuguero and Monteverde and both were very beautiful and comfortable and the staff were extremely friendly and caring. For example, after returning from every hike or boat trip we were greeted by smiling staff members offering us fruit drinks and cold towels. The most remarkable part of the trip was our naturalist guide, William Granados, who was with us through all of our travels in CR. He knew everything about everything and explained it perfectly for my son and for me, he made sure that we got everything we wanted at the resorts, and is just an all around great conversationalist and great guy. The most remarkable example of the service we were given was when were starting the long drive/boat ride from SJ to Tortuguero, William had figured out that the highway would probably be blocked by a taxi strike and arranged a flight to get us there.
I don't think I've ever rated anything online, but I feel a huge debt of gratitude to these guys. The heading here is "Private Day tours" and they planned our whole, trip, so I might copy this review in another category.

Date of experience: July 2014
1  Thank Brian973
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Brian973,

Thank you for letting us know what a great vacation you had with us.

I have let all of the staff at both of our lodges as well as William Granados, know how well you felt and how much you appreciated all of their efforts. William has a background in Agricultural Engineering, Natural History and Vulcanology which I think is reflected on the huge amount of information he is able to share with our guests. Plus he loves being outdoors which makes him perfectly qualified to be a full time guide! He told me he greatly enjoyed traveling with you and he believes the success of the whole trip was due to the group effort that was done by everybody at the lodges, the main office and the guides.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at both of our lodges since they are very different from each other. We do try to maintain the same level of customer service available throughout our both properties and we have had guests that have remarked on this. I hope you were able to see that yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to post how your vacation went. Knowing it was such a success is a huge reward for us.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We just got back from an 9 day trip to Costa Rica (Quest for Pura Vida) led by Costa Rica expeditions. Our family included my Mom (75) and my daughter (13). Both of them had enough to do and experience to make it a fantastic experience. Cost Rica expeditions put together a wonderful itinerary. The travel planners were responsive to all of our questions.

The best part was our wonderful naturalist guide, Jonathan Ramirez and driver Pablo. Jonathan was a fount of information about all of the flora and fauna, but more importantly, he was truly kind and cared about our wellbeing and experience. As frequent travelers, I highly recommend Costa Rica expeditions - lovely country, nice people and great food.

2  Thank Bombaybabe
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Bombaybabe,

It was wonderful to read that you, your mom and your daughter enjoyed our Quest for Pura Vida trip so much.

I will let Jonathan and Pablo know how much you enjoyed their company while you were here. Jonathan is originally from Siquirres, a steamy lowland town that marks the place where Costa Rica takes a dip into the Caribbean not only through its geography but through its food. Did he tell you about a dish called Rondon? It’s like a seafood gumbo cooked in coconut milk. It’s quite delicious.

I will tell him how much you appreciated his kindness. I am sure he will be thrilled to know how much he contributed to your trip.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your trip went!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have just returned from our 3 week trip to Costa Rica. First mysef (mom) and my 6 year old son, and then my husband joined us for the last week.

Since I work full time, I left every detai to Costa Rica expeditions. Our travel agent learned about our family and our interests and then suggested a trip which, in all honesty, barely skimmed the itinerary. Preparation was super easy with their detailed list of packing needs.

I can't even believe how perfect the was - the perfect amount of time in each location, amazing lodging and staff, and super fun and educational activities. We saw all 4 species of monkeys, snakes, toucans, parrots, spiders, sloths, iguanas, bats, porcipines, racoons and more, the guides were amazing! Tortuga lodge was a wonderful way to arrive, decompress and see lots of animas. Then on to the Osa peninsula where we experienced intermitten torrents of rain and even more animas, fun! In Arenal we did zip lines, tubing and climbing, and then finaly finished up on the coast at Tamarindo - where we relaxed, boogie boarded and surfed.

My son pretty much summed it up: "Mom, can we come to costa rica every year?" and "Mom, this is the best trip ever!".

Thank you so much Costa Rica Expeditions - there is absolutely no way we could have experienced this much in Costa Rica without you!!

Date of experience: May 2014
1  Thank Jill C

Dear Jill C,

It was great to read how much you, your husband and your son enjoyed our country and the trip we planned for you.

I am glad to see that we were able to help you arrange a trip that was filled with activities that entertained you and your family. As you saw, there is a lot of rainfall in the Osa Peninsula mainly between the months of April and November. It can rain from 160 to 280 inches annually which is why we refer to it as our winter. The plus side is that the rainforest turns bright green and it comes alive with activity so it’s a great time to visit.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us what a great time you had while you were in Costa Rica.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Having just returned from incredible Costa Rica we couldn’t have imagined a better holiday. Gustavo our planner instantly understood what we wanted from the form we filled out and although we did tweak the itinerary at first (which they encourage you to do and will also look at budget for you) we went back to the original itinerary that Gustavo suggested because it was so well organised especially within our two week time frame. Very responsive from the initial contact all the way through to departure Gustavo was a joy to deal with and very intuitive to our needs even though we only ever corresponded via email. We have no doubt in our minds that we wouldn’t have seen or experienced half of the things we did if it weren’t for the expert knowledge and planning from Gustavo and CRE. They keep in touch and inform you about all you need to know every step of the way and we felt safe and secure at all times. Costa Rica Expedition staff (guides & drivers) really can’t do enough for you and will even make slight adaptions if necessary to try and accommodate you or your needs.
This is probably the first trip (and quite possibly the best trip I’ve ever taken!) that picking a favourite or most standout memory would be difficult as every experience was outstanding for different reasons. If you would like to visit Costa Rica and need a travel planer then we would not hesitate to recommend Gustavo from Costa Rica Expeditions and the team there. They really do make your holiday dreams come true.
Pura Vida – Costa Rica!

2  Thank Carmen E
Natalia J, Guest Satisfaction at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear Carmen E

It was wonderful to read all the great things you said about our staff at Costa Rica Expeditions and about how well your vacation time went.

I have let Gustavo know how well you felt and I am sure he will be very appreciative. His passion for travel planning stems from the satisfaction that it gives him when a guest tells him of the wonderful memories they have of their trip.

Did you know that Gustavo has a BA in Business & Tourism from the ULACIT University and a Master's in Marketing from the San Marcos University, both private Costa Rican Universities. He speaks fluent English, Spanish and informal French. He is a great asset to our company.

It was great to read that you felt we really understood what you wanted and were able to offer you activities that met your needs. I am glad to see that you feel we succeeded!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your vacation went