Open today: 5:30 AM - 8:00 PM

from $646.00
from $606.00
from $2,948.00
More Info
All reviews tortuga lodge travel planner naturalist guide monteverde lodge and gardens costa rica cloud forest zip lining osa peninsula punta islita day trip wish list corcovado national park private dinner activities planned white water rafting pura vida manuel antonio
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Costa Rica Expeditions does a terrific job of planning tours just for you. They listen to what you want, make suggestions, and plan a vacation you'll never forget. My husband and boys said it was the best trip we've ever taken. Highly recommend them.

1  Thank Lisbeth335805
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Lisbeth335805,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are thrilled to see that your family found your tours with us to be the best trip they’ve ever taken, and we’re honored to have your recommendation.

Hope to see you and the boys again someday!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Costa Rica Expeditions arranged our custom trip and it was great. It was so nice to let someone else arrange all the activities, hotels, and transportation. The trip exceeded our expectations and I would go again. We at first thought the price was a little high but after the experience, I am really surprised they could provide all the wonderful activities we had and personal guides. They were great. Well worth the expense. We had more than just a day, we had an entire week with special activities every day.

1  Thank KSnyder_11

Dear KSnyder_11,

Thank you for taking the time to review Costa Rica Expeditions, I am very glad to see that your time with us exceeded expectations and justified the price. We’re especially pleased that you enjoyed the company of your guides. Because of our guides ability to expose you to all aspects of Costa Rica as you discover it, from the natural to the cultural, and their ability to make sure everything runs smoothly, while at the same time always looking for ways they can further customize activities to your interests, we think they are amongst the most important elements we can add to a vacation, and it’s great to see that you noticed this.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was our first visit to Costa Rica and we wanted to make the most of our 13 days to experience as much of the diverse country as possible. While I usually plan our trips myself, after reading many reviews online about difficult roads in the more isolated areas, I decided that we would opt for comfy transport instead. I opted for knowledgable local experts to help us plan our itinerary. Costa Rica Expeditions had great reviews and I immediately was impressed at the their attention to detail starting with the online survey about your personal interests. Priscilla at Costa Rica Expeditions contacted us once she received our survey. She exceeded our expectations from the start! I had a general idea of the places we wanted to see and Priscilla was able to form a sensible and doable itinerary while providing additional ideas to increase our experiences. She suggested several hotels at each location so the ultimate choice was ours. She was patient with my questions and eventually we settled on an itinerary that enabled us to sample San Jose, Tortuguero, Arenal and then Papagayo on the Pacific Coast.

The transition teams that worked to get us from point A to point B were terrific, making us always feel very comfortable. Our drivers were friendly and informative. Given I have reasonable Spanish we communicated very well. We enjoyed all of our hotels, each of which was quite unique. The food in the hotel restaurants was excellent. Definitely drink the bottled water though even in the nicest hotels.

The communication between Costa Rica Expeditions and all of the local activity providers was flawless. We especially enjoyed all of the local nature guides that were recommended. We absolutely would not have seen as much in the cloud and rain forests if we had not opted for the guides. We would have completely missed Nectandra Reserve except for Priscilla's recommendation. All of our guides were really attuned to their environments and spotting things we clearly would have missed. We were very happy to have Costa Rica Expeditions recommend the safest zip line experiences after seeing some of the other zip line places. When we unexpectedly had to rearrange a few activities, Priscilla was on top of everything and we didn't miss a thing in the end.

Our itinerary was perfect! All of our transportation was stress free. It was clear to us that if we would have driven ourselves we would have lost our way many times! I can't say enough good things about the folks at Costa Rica Expeditions. They made our trip truly memorable.

1  Thank Chafffamilytravels
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is the first actual tour I have ever taken. After a week with friends in Quepos, I wanted to learn more about beautiful Costa Rica and see more of the country before leaving. I am so glad I signed on with Costa Rica Expeditions! I can't imagine having a better guide than Johnathan. He was extremely informative, kind and helpful. Dealing with different personalities over the course of 8 days might be difficult for some but he handled absolutely everything flawlessly. Our group were all equally impressed. He was top notch all the way. Alex also accompanied our group. We were so lucky that he did. Both his and Johnathan's knowledge of animals, birds, stars and all things Costa Rican were phenomenal! I will return with my family and will go out of my way to take another tour with Johnathan and Costa Rica Expeditions

Date of experience: March 2014
Natalie E, Guest Relations Manager at Costa Rica Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Ellyn C,

I am very glad to read that after a week in lively Quepos you thought of Costa Rica Expeditions when looking to learn about the rest of Costa Rica – choosing our Quest for Pura Vida tour is a great way to do so. I am really glad that you and the rest of your group had such a good time on it. The melding of different personalities (but all with a common interest in experiencing all that Costa Rica has to offer) is all part of the fun on that trip.

For the reader, Quest for Pura Vida is one of two group tours we offer, in addition to our main focus on personalized vacation itineraries. It is a nine day all inclusive adventure we designed after helping in the production of a PBS Special with the same name. It visits three iconic Costa Rican landscapes, with some other special places included in between. You get to know the cloud forest reserves of Monteverde, the Arenal Volcano Region, and the coastal rainforest of Tortuguero National Park. In between you’ll also visit the Nectandra Institute, a one of a kind ecological sanctuary and get to know a great number of very interesting Costa Ricans along the route, including of course an experienced guide like Jonathan, who serves as both trip leader and always on hand naturalist guide.

Ellyn, we really look forward to having you back, and I am sure Jonathan will really enjoying not just seeing you again, but also getting to meet the family!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I planned to visit to Costa Rica in January '14 and wanted to see different areas but have a relaxing vacation. It's not always easy picking out destinations and hotels when you've never been somewhere. My husband stumbled onto the Costa Rica Expeditions web site and we filled out the survey. Very quickly, Luis responded and after a few more e-mails and a phone call, we had a very cool trip planned. CRE considered our budget and how we like to travel and what we enjoy doing. We visited friends first in San Jose but CRE let us know where to meet them nearby when our trip with them started. With Costa Rica Expeditions everything was easy and great fun. CRE planned for us to go to four different areas of Costa Rica and they arranged the accommodations and guided tours. We were either flown or driven to each destination. We did not travel with a group but sometimes we shared our tours or rides with other travelers which was fine. The drivers were excellent and always waiting for us. It was like magic and it made the trip relaxed and delightful. We enjoyed the accomodations and the areas we visited and when we changed our plans for our last day, Luis found us a hotel and suggested a coffee tour which was very enjoyable. Working with CRE was so easy and when we return to Costa Rica, we would work with Costa Rica adventures again. I wish they were in more countries. We highly recommend them as a thoughtful, fun and easy company with which to work. Pura Vida!

Date of experience: January 2014