“Fine Hotel with lots of charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taormina Hotel and Casino

Taormina Hotel and Casino
Ranked #15 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
Fort Myers, Florida
“Fine Hotel with lots of charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I spent 8 nights at the Mona Lisa and enjoyed my time there very much. It has a nice Casino right in the hotel so if you didn't feel like going out had lots of fun there. The staff is always very helpful. I can't wait for my next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Eric, Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Sounds like you had a great time and we all look forward to your next visit. Hola from the staff to you. Pura Vida
Director of Guest Services - Guy Grand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I stayed 10 days here and could not have asked for a better stay. The place is slightly dated which adds to its charm. The bar and restaurant are fine and comfortable. I told one of the managers that I wish they had coffee in the lobby before 7am and he said "no problem, I'll put a free coffee maker in your room." Helmuth and Guy are very helpful and seem like friends I want to see again when I left. Great tv, wifi, clean and comfortable. Oh, yes, there is a casino there which is busy night and day. Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Tell them you need to have seamless wifi, and they will assign a room accordingly.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for staying with us at the Hotel Mona Lisa. Happy to hear you enjoyed the Casino and felt like a King. We do our Best to treat all our guests like Kings. Hope to see you again soon.
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The Hotel Mona Lisa & Casino treated me like a king wether I gambled or not. I will stay there again on my next visit to San Jose and would recommend to anyone looking to be treated like a king or queen..

• 5 of 5 stars
Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We enjoy when we can to sit down and have a drink with our guests. It's a pleasure. Hope to see you again soon.
salt lake city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

the price of this hotel is very reasonable at the given special rate of <us$56 per night. Guy and George are the managers and are very peronsonable. They will sit and have a drink with you. They are very reasonable if you are low on cash. <i always use this hotel in san jose..

Room Tip: always ask for any specials.
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank daniel a
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We're always happy to get feedback from our clients about our Service. Thanks for using us and hope to see you again in the near future.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I didn't actually stay in the hotel, but found the place when my GF felt like getting a massage. We got on-line and of course most of what we saw were massage parlors that catered to single men (if you don't know what that means, San Jose is probably not the town for you). We were lucky to stumble across a review of Yorleny's services.

We called the hotel and got thru to the manager, Guy, who booked an hour a 2-hour massage the same afternoon, which I believe was $60USD. We arrived about 10min early and were greeted by Guy, who was very personable and friendly while we waited for Yorleny to prepare. We finally met Yorleny in her massage room, where she displays her multiple accreditations, and were at first surprised by her small size and youthful appearance. Don't be fooled though - She's got a vice-like grip and knows how to use it!

While my GF was getting her massage, I hung out at the bar/casino area and enjoyed some reasonably priced beer and appetizers which were surprisingly good. The casino area was friendly and inviting, with just the right lighting and not too noisy or distracting.

My GF commented that the massage from Yorleny was really good, easily up there with the $120-$200 massages she often goes for at fancier hotel spas. A really sweet deal from a really sweet masseuse! Definitely worth trying out. The only complaint was that a phone call wasn't answered by the hotel lobby and ended up ringing in the massage room. Without that distraction things would have been perfect.

Just to emphasize, massages with Yorleny are strictly professional.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you so much for your generous review about Yorleny. I happen to agree with you that she is the best professional masseuse in San Jose. I worked with her at the Dunn Inn Hotel for 3 years and now almost 2 years at the Hotel Mona Lisa. In Costa Rica like many other countries you don't actually need a degree or even any training to say your a massage therapist. Make some business cards and hang a shingle on a building and there you go.but not her. Yorleny, a single mom, put herself through Massage School for three years while holding down a night job at a factory and raising three kids on her own. She finished school top of her class with her degree in Deep Tissue Massage and since has gone back for continued education and has earned three more degrees in different types of massage. She now incorporated all the different things she learned with her four degrees together to form her own unique style of massage. Yorleny's loves her job, always has a warm smile on her face and leaves you feeling like you just had the best massage of your life. She will be grateful for your kind words and kind review. Director Guest Services - Guy Grand .
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

<enjoyed being here to watch the costa rica soccer game. very exciting. the staff was very friendly and excellent service. nice large rooms and very clean. nice big casino and poker room. had a professional relaxing massage from yorleny the in house massuese. <well worth the 40 dollars.. i will return and highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: 4third floor in back very quiet and nice view
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Guy G, Public Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Daniel, Thank you for your very kind review of the Mona Lisa. Happy to hear you enjoyed the football game at our sports bar. It was an exciting game. Glad to hear you enjoyed your professional massage with Yorleny, she is the fantastic. I try myself to get a massage from her at least once a month if time permits. Thanks again for staying with us and look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Awhile back, the Mona Lisa was a Clarion property. Not a bad one, but nothing special. I "almost" stayed there several years ago when I was in SJ. I have stayed a 5 other places in my travels to SJ and, so far, this stay (at least insofar as the hotel is concerned) is the best! Unlike most of the places in this area, this hotel has all the modern comforts you'd expect in the States.

Guest relations Mgr. Guy, along with several other staff members, really give you the personal touch. It is a rather refreshing change not to be an anonymous guest and actually be treated like a VIP. Almost every time I go up to my nice large standard room on the 4th floor (with blackout curtains) and pass the front desk, I am greeted, asked how things are going and if there is anything that the staff can do for me. Impressive.

With a casino, very friendly poker room, great restaurant and wonderful ambiance...well, its a pretty darn good deal. My room is clean, well kept up, and (mind you, this was still a Clarion...not a 5 star hotel) very quiet, too!

I heartily recommend this hotel if you want a comfortable, clean and economical place to stay while visiting San Jose. There are also several great restaurants in the area that are rated in the top ten on TripAdvisor, as well.

Enjoy your stay in San Jose!

Room Tip: All good rooms, from what I can see...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank viper0001
Guy G, Public Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you so much for the very Positive review in Tripadvisor. Sounds to me like you had a great time and my staff was doing their job. We try our best to be friendly and make you feel at home away from home. I will let my staff know what a good job they are doing and thank you so much for your feedback. We here at the Hotel Mona Lisa look forward to Serving you again on your next visit to San Jose.
Pura Vida, Guy Manager Public relations and marketing