“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taormina Hotel and Casino

You added Taormina Hotel and Casino to your Saves list
Taormina Hotel and Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 11 Calle 3 Bis | Barrio Amon, San Jose 10103, Costa Rica (Formerly Hotel Mona Lisa)   |
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Newport Beach, California
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is for the Hotel Mona Lisa in San Jose Costa Rica. Of all the years reading Tipadvisor I finally felt the need to write a review. I come to Costa Rica about once a month., and have stayed at most hotels in downtown San Jose. This Hotel is not only the best value but the friendliest I've ever stayed at. The staff are just so nice I didn't think it fair not to praise their hospitality.
A gentleman named Guy seemed to be around all the time, I'm not sure of his position, he just seems to always be there asking " how is everything ? ", " do you need anything ", sorta like the head waiter at a nice restaurant who's always there when you need him. A man named Helmut is the manager and is always there. I mean ALWAYS there... I don't think he sleeps.there is a girl named Helen at the front desk, who couldn't be nicer and a younger kid named Andrew at the front door who was born with a smile on his face, he couldn't wipe it off if he wanted to.
And everyone speaks fluent English which is great because my Spanish is embarrassingly challenged. This place gets 11 stars out of 10.....is that possible ?

Room Tip: Prefer top floor in back, but stayed in front and we're good too
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Of all the years reading tripadvisor I finally felt the need to right a review, I've never written one.
I come to Costa Rica about once a month on business and have stayed at most of the hotels
In downtown San Jose. This hotel is not only the best value but the friendlyest hotel I think ive ever stayed at anywhere. I almost didn't write this review because I really don't want everyone to find out about this place, but the staff are just so nice I didn't think it fair not to praise their hospitality.
A gentleman named "Guy" seems to be around all the time, I'm not sure of his position, he just always there asking " how is everything " " do you need anything" , " , sorta like the head waiter at a nice restaurant who's always there when you need him. A man named Helmut is the manager and is always there...I mean AWAYS there ..I don't think he sleeps !!!. There's a girl named "Helen " at the front desk who couldn't be nicer and A younger kid named Andrew at the front door who was born with a smile on his face..he couldn't wipe it off if he wanted to.
And everyone speaks fluent English...which is great because my Spanish is embarrassing challenged. This place gets 11 stars out of 10....is that possible ?

Room Tip: Prefer top floor in back, but stayed in front and were good too
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Guy G, Guest Relations Manager at Taormina Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, December 16, 2014
Eric, Thank you so much for the very kind review you wrote. We are always happy to have you visit us and you are just like family here at the Hotel Mona Lisa. Hope to see you again soon amigo. Pura Vida
From the staff at the hotel. Guy
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Mona Lisa for one week. Conveniently located to all the major activities in downtown San Jose.

The staff is friendly and courteous and the rooms are big and nicely appointed. Guy Grand is one of the best customer service managers I have met.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank NA N
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at the Mona Lisa for 10 days from September 14 to 23. The hotel is beautifully decorated, well located, and spotlessly clean. It has a restaurant, bar, casino and poker room. customer service from the hotel management to the cleaning staff was very friendly with smiles and "holas" or "Buenos dias" to start each morning. When I checked in, Guy the manager and Helmuth, another manager, both welcomed me personally and insisted that whatever they could do to make my stay enjoyable to not hesitate to let them know. I felt as if I was staying at a small boutique bed and breakfast. My room was very clean, the food in the restaurant was excellent and delicious, and the bartenders and waitresses very pretty and friendly. This was my fifth trip to San Jose and I had previously stayed elsewhere, but I have now found the perfect spot to call home while in San Jose. During my stay I also met Walt one of the owners and George the GM, also very friendly an gracious hosts. I have already made reservations for my next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Andres L
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at the Mona Lisa for over a month when I first arrived in Costa Rica. Staff was very attentive and helpful. They made me feel at home and my experience led me to stay here in Costa Rica. The management beginning with Tom, Walter, George, Guy and Helmuth are easily accessible and will to help with all your needs. Restaurant, Casino, lounge and tourist office on location. Taxi drivers work exclusively for the hotel and are honest and trustworthy. I would be remiss in not mentioning the great professional massage given by Yorleny. A definite treat after a long trip or outing. My best for continued success to the staff at the Mona Lisa. Keep up the good work. Terry Brennan

• Stayed January 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Mona Lisa rooms are large and very comfortable. Upon entering the very nice hotel lobby we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. Director of guest services Guy Grand will help you with any needs or questions you may have. While at the Mona Lisa I wanted to make reservations for stays in Oct and Nov. Helmuth Tapia at the front desk booked my requests quickly and efficiently. Both of these employees work hard to ensure a great hotel experience. This hotel is now my home away from home when traveling to San Jose Costa Rica.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel has been renovated and reopened. I stayed here with my wife and baby last week and we were very pleased. The staff was eager to help, went out of their way to meet our needs and make us feel at home. Knowing the fact that we have a child with us, the marketing manager upgraded as to a junior suite. We stayed on the fourth floor and even though the floor is very popular with the visitors, we felt very private.

We were able to park our rental car in the secure area, take the elevator straight to the 4th floor and be in our room safe and secure in a matter of seconds. We used to stay at the Presidente but the street noise was unbearable. Needless to say that we will be returning to the hotel Mona Lisa.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is the best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family