“found a gold mine in costa rica”

Taormina Hotel and Casino
Ranked #20 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 8, 2013

the mona lisa hotel in san jose costa rica was a great bargain for $79 per night. it had nice rooms and a great location. The staff was very friendly and the manager by the name of Guy went out of his way to help me. He even had a staff member drive with me to find the nearest gas station because I get lost easily. The women at the hotel bar were some of the most beautiful that I have ever seen! The mona lisa gave me the most bang for my buck of any hotel in costa rica or the whole carribean. Also I took advantage of a great massage by Yorlenny which was a great deal for only $40, probably at least $60 in the united states. Overall I would recommend the mona lisa hotel to anyone staying in San Jose.

Room Tip: Negotiate . They will work with you. Take a cab its easier than driving for about the same price...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 1, 2013

when I checked in Mr. Guy Grand help me with my room and made sure everything was to my liking. this was my first stay at the mona lisa I normally stay at the balmoral but the first time at the mona lisa they made me feal important. I highly recommend that you stay at this hotel when you come to costa rica. D.P atl

Room Tip: you wanna ask for a deluxe suite trust me youll be very happy.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I originally wasn't planning on staying at this hotel my last trip. I had already booked all nights at another hotel. I just stopped by because I heard that it was a great place to play poker. However, when I got there, I was greeted by the Marketing Director, Guy Grand, who I talked with for quite a while. The Hotel Mona Lisa was much nicer and in a much better location than the hotel I was staying at, had 2 poker rooms and a casino, had a decent restaurant with extremely friendly staff, had nicer rooms, offered great professional massages, had an active bar, and a nice patio to chat with friends or locals. They even offered me a "poker rate" since I was playing a lot of poker at their hotel. Personally, I had a great time and had no complaints. All the staff I met was very knowledgeable and very willing to answer questions. And I had a great time playing Poker with the tourists and locals, even though my Spanish is horrible. I will definitely stay there again on my next trip.

Room Tip: I always like a room with a safe. The room I stayed in was very quiet. If you can get the fourth flo...
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We recently stayed at the Mona with an entire sports team for an event and we could not be happier with the attentiveness and service provided. The hotel looks great and while the wifi was spotty we had the same problem at any location in Costa Rica. Our stay was personally overseen by Guy and he made sure that we got anything and everything we needed. The Mona Lisa definitely won us over and we will be staying there every year of our annual event. Tropicbowl.com PURA VIDA!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

IAO Stayed at the Mona Lisa from 19th May to 26th May, 2013.

Very enjoyable and satisfying experience. Clean Hotel especially rooms, cordial staff, prompt cleaning of rooms by maid personnel, maintenance staff are available for all needs, free guest use of computer terminal in business center for checking e-mails etc.Casino, bar and restaurant on premises. Delicious food especially the casado tipico and almuerzo ejecutivo. Very friendly and courteous bartenders and restaurant servers and attendants. The restaurant with open patio area is located on the street corner with a wonderful and varied view. Availability of 24 hour security and taxis outside the hotel.
Hotel is walking distance to the main Avenida Central (pedestrian mall), Mercado Central, cafes, parks, restaurants, shops, the zoo and other facilities.

Most importantly.........Mr. Guy Grand (Director of Guest Services) and Mr. Helmuth Tapia (Manager) are excellent persons, always available to assist and made my stay very comfortable and happy. They are always available and are very friendly dependable and capable managers. Thanks also to the efficient bell boys, Sebastien (Office Assistant) and of course the receptionists (Hellen at day and the other {can't remember her name} at night time) ................DEFINITELY I WILL STAY AT MONA LISA AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

IAO

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am a regular in Costa Rica and stayed at many Hotels in San Jose. I originally discovered Mona Lisa when I went to San Jose for Superbowl Party. I was so impressed that I decided to book a night on my last trip in May. Well one night turned into three nights. Jaco Beach just had to wait. I arrived late on Wednesday and the casino and bar was rocking. When my girlfriend from Escazu arrived she did not want to go anywhere else. The place has great atmosphere, friendly and very attentive staff, as well as very exceptional crowd.

My room was on the 4th floor. Room was large, very clean and fresh. Best of all very quiet. Flat screen TV, refrigerator, safe and thick curtains which is a must especially if you roll in at 5AM. I had a little problem with getting consistent hot water but I am yet to find a Hotel in CR that does not have issues with water. Including Los Suenos Resort where I had cold water for 3 days straight.
The Hotel has taxi service at front door at all times but since some of the best restaurants and bars are just short walking distance, I just used taxi at night. Security is fantastic and always opened the door for my girl. But who wouldn’t! They have a travel office, gift shop and a masseuse that I hear is fantastic.

And finally Guy, the Manager. Well, when he previously managed Dunn Inn, he is responsible for making it one of the best Hotels in San Jose. His attentiveness and professionalism is unparalleled and is a great resource on what to do in CR.

I am booking Mona Lisa again in July.

Tom S. Dallas, Texas

Room Tip: 4th floor has best rooms at a very reasonable prices
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TombigD
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I am an experienced traveler to San Jose, I have stayed in many hotel in and around San Jose area. This hotel has everything you will need, great food, tables and slots. The bar is always going, the staff is very accommodating and polite. In the restaurant they have a beautiful patio and the breeze is very inviting.
I have had hundreds of sports massages by the best in the world, The massage therapist at the hotel is world class and can do deep tissue sports massage. It is very hard to find a massage therapist as good as Yorleny, impossible for forty dollars.

Room Tip: To find a good room talk to Guy he will take good care of you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family