Cocoon Hotel
$85
$94
Balmoral Hotel(San Jose)
$75
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$81
  • Breakfast included
$135
$88
$62
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose(San Jose)
$190
$184
All reviewsfront deskcosta ricahot watercenter of san josehotel is locatedstayed daysfree breakfastthe location is perfectpura vidaairport shuttleenjoyed my stayceiling fanvivianalobbydowntowncountrytortuguero
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I guess it should have been a warning when there was a prostitute on the corner. We travel all over the world and felt more threatened here than any place we stayed... We have another night booked in a few days on our way out of Costa Rica and are walking away from our reservation despite losing our payment. Dirty, noisy, and just icky.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank DaveDespain
Ximena G, General Manager at Cocoon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear DaveDespain

We are really sorry that you didnt had a good stay in Cocoon.
The hotel is going to check your review and work in all the things you put. Please let me know the next time you come to Costa Rica so I can contact you and apologize for all the incidents.

regards,

Reviewed March 8, 2013

As other reviewers have said, it's a little bit out of the way, but a good value hotel: room is nicely furnished, albeit the overhead lighting is a bit dark, lobby is very handsome, helpful staff and excellent breakfast. Personally, we didn't feel unsafe in this neighborhood.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IndependentTravelGuy
Ximena G, Manager at Cocoon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Nu2thailand.

Thank you very much for your review.
We are glad you had a good time in Cocoon. We are working really hard on security so people can feel more save and for your comments we can see that all the things the town and ourselves are doing is working.
We appreciate your comment about the light. We are going to work on that and see what we can do ir order to put a light that give ours guests more light inside the room.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a good clean hotel in a bit of an unsafe area but all of San Jose is unsafe after dark!!
Taxis from the main shopping/bar/eating areas are only a couple of dollars. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was pretty good fresh fruits,yougurt,honey etc as well as eggs and gallo pintos. Fresh juice,coffee,teas were also available. The room had a large flat screen cable TV and the hot water in the bathroom was a joy after many cold showers. Overall a very pleasant place at a budget price.
It is a totally non-smoking hotel.
There is a large parking lot at the rear..

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear 10_17_08

Thank you very much for your comment.

I am really happy you enjoyed your stay with us. All of your good comments will be passed to my staff, so they would know all the amazing things you said.
Hope to see you soon on your way back again to Costa Rica.

regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here on way in and way out of Costa Rica, its centrally located so that you can walk in to the Centre in 5 minutes (although many advise against it given the neighbourhoods close by), it is also close to many of the main bus terminals for those 'bussing' it around Costa Rica (which I can highly recommend). The hotel staff were most helpful and friendly, the breakfast very good, the rooms and common areas clean and the price is quite reasonable given that some hotels in San Jose are quite expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at Cocoon Hotel for one night after arriving in Costa rica and before heading on to tour the country. I booked it based on the price and ratings. It was excellent value for money. I got a nice room on the top floor with a big double bed, not much of a view though, just facing a tiny inner courtyard. The decor is simplistic, but modern. There was a fan, flatscreen TV and safe in the room, so there not being a secure latch at the room door didn't bother me. I felt perfectly safe. Wifi only worked in the lobby, unfortunately. The lobby is very welcoming, large and comfortable. There is a small bar where they serve breakfast (included in room rate, yet basic - a small yoghurt pot, some granola, a few pieces of fruit and two pieces of toast). The airport shuttle was 35 US dollars and very reliable. I did not go into town, but it seems to be a bit off the city centre. Not sure how you'd get there. All in all, I really liked the hotel for what I paid!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo