“Not a good experience for solo diners”

L'ancora da Ciro & Tony
Ranked #24 of 697 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was staying in the area on a Sunday without transport, and this seemed to be the only choice I could find for a hot meal. Definitely not a place to come if you are on your own. The food was average Italian fare, but it was the service that spoiled it for me - I felt that I received a very brusque welcome and that they couldn't wait for me to leave as if I was taking up a table unnecessarily. Maybe they are unaccustomed to solo diners?

2  Thank les106

Reviewed July 4, 2014

First time eating at L'Ancora. A nice restaurant, with several families and couples enjoying their dinners. Very warm greeting by staff. I also met Tony, who told me that he was a chef in New York City for 19 years.

Ok...on to the food. I enjoy a good veal Parm. I actually use that dish as a barometer for future visits...How tender is the veal? How was it prepared? Does the sauce compliment or overpower? Is it over-breaded? Well, I can tell you that even I, growing up in an Italian household, have never made veal as tender and delicious as this! The serving totally covered up the entire plate! This dish, served with a side of al dente pasta and fresh Italian bread hit all the right notes!

Very happy with this place and I intend to do something I try NOT to do...go back to the same restaurant on the same vacation. I'd like to try the recommended Sea Bass dish!

This place is a gem. In my opinion, the best Italian food outside of NYC..and maybe even my Aunt's kitchen (have to try a few other dishes to decide!)

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Excellent place to eat and enjoy. Fish is always fresh. Chef Ciro comes to your table personally and asks for any special request. He did a special one for my daughter and named it after her. She was delited with the result. Not cheap though.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Chef Tony offered us to "sample" his red and lemon sauce homemade Ravioli. The pasta was hard and under cooked. We later found out that he charged each of us $20 per plate. The bread served on the table was stale and broke into crumbs. We were never offered a menu until we demanded to see one which by that time "Chef" Tony had already cooked what we thought we needed to eat! (Seriously, no joke) I had to turn my dinner away because of having dental work that day and stuck with a lite creme tomato soup, the others had what we think was Sea Bass with a mixed Vegetable medley ( which was not that bad, it wasn't great but was just ok). Chef Tony also suggested a red Italian Table Wine. Again, NO list!! Which turned out to be $189.00. Granted we should have checked, but there was no list and it was Banfi, so how bad could the cost be? Our Bill was $309 dollars for the 3 of us with one person having tomato soup! Watch Tony's trickery, you have been forewarned. Tony complained Costa Rica was in a decline, I think the decline is Tonys Ancora!!! Anchors away Tony, and lay off the booze a bit!

1  Thank D James C
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Just love it! Cozy place, wonderful service and the best italian food in Costa Rica. I love the raviolli & ricotta, the risotto & funghi, and the mozzarella in carroza.