WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Classy, private, with a touch of HOME...what more could you want!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Secret Garden
Ranked #21 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
“Classy, private, with a touch of HOME...what more could you want!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

My extended visit to Secret Garden was the best ever! The comforts of home, yet complete privacy made my time there totally priceless. The location was superb. Easy access to restaurants, and downtown area, as well as to and from airport. I felt very safe and secure and the host was most gracious. The breakfast was fabulous. I cannot wait to go back! Incredibly awesome place!

• Stayed May 2014

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Ric's Secret Garden B&B is an excellent , convenient , affordable and self contained home away from home place! I have never seen a host so pure and honest , very compassionate to serve every one with his genuine friendly, service minded attitude at all times!
It is close to every thing you think of . We stayed on our way to Cahuita and way back to home. He is a dedicated owner/host with his charming and brilliant rescue dog Snickers, who loves ever one ! This place is very affordable , neat, quiet and very comfortable for every one . I strongly suggest this place .

Room Tip: every room is comfortable but we stayed the one near the back yard and close to the kitchen which wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Ric is fabulous! So funny and charming. His secret Garden is a hidden gem and hid contacts can show you around San Jose. Best bargain around! I am going back at Christmas time will be my third stay with secret Garden! !!! Breakfast is delicious and you are within walking distance to a great restaurant. You should go!! Ric can hook you up for sight seeing too. The volcano is nearby and the beaches are about three hours away...both Pacific and carribean oceans. The secret Garden website is easy to use.

• Stayed March 2013
MILLBROOK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

This sweet oasis in a hectic city is a delight to which I'll travel every time I'm in San Jose. In December I'll return for my fifth stay. Ric is an unique host who quickly eases every guest, if they are open to the experience, into a comfortable vibe that encircles the Secret Garden. And the garden is a delight. I have an entire folder of images on my computer. Comfortable rooms, welcoming genuine folks and a constant smile/laugh always draws me back.

Brian, Canada

Room Tip: If there is space grab it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BRIAN K
El Cangrejo, Panama, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Going to Ric’s Bed and Breakfast, The Secret Garden, is like going to a friend’s house. From the time you arrive, Ric makes you feel like family, and he means it! I have stayed there many times, and it is always a treat. I enjoy sitting in his awesome backyard, especially for breakfast when the sun comes out, it is a special moment. The rooms are great, and the property being situated in a residential area, tranquility is guaranteed! The public bus runs right in front of the property so you can be downtown in about 15 minutes. Ric has now lived in Costa Rica for many years, so he will provide you with all the information you may need to make your trip memorable, and his taxi driver Manuel is a gem. If you ever go to San Jose, the Secret Garden is really the place to stay at, in my own humble opinion. Pura Vida!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Frederic C
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm afraid if too many people find out about it, he won't have room for me! My trip to Costa Rica for dental work (which might have been miserable) was made wonderful by my stay at Ric's Secret Garden. As a single woman traveling alone, I was looking for a place to stay that was not only close to my dentist, but also where I would be safe. Not only did I feel safe at the Secret Garden, I feel like I have found a second home. At my first dentist appointment, Ric got on the bus with me, rode to my dentist office and showed me where to get off, and made sure I knew how to get back. I was as comfortable riding that bus as I would have been in my home town! This saved me a lot of money in taxi fares. The rooms are spotless, restful and private, and Irma made every effort to accommodate my special diet. Ric, Irma, Ken, and the other guests and friends I met there, (Snicker too!), are now considered family, and I will most certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Delani
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my first stay at Secret Garden. When I met Ric, I felt like I had known him all my life. He is a great host with wonderful stories and obviously just loves what he does. The room was well appointed and the garden enchanting. Even the dog Snickers is part of the home-like atmosphere. There was an ample traditional breakast in the garden in the morning with plenty of fresh Costa Rican coffee to get your day started. Ric puts you right at ease and you just cannot help but feel comfortable and at home. The neighborhood is quiet and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and downtown is a $5 taxi ride away. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
#3 of 16 in Escazu
Casa Laurin B&B
Casa Laurin B&B
#1 of 4 in San Rafael de Escazu

Been to Secret Garden? Share your experiences!