WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“This is a GREAT little place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Secret Garden
Ranked #21 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Charlottesville, Virginia
“This is a GREAT little place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Charming B & B, and the owner, Ric, is a great host! I can't wait to go back! Asha, VA

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

I am very disappointed with the Secret Garden bed and breakfast. I made a reservation at this place, because it was recommended by a friend. I called to let the staff know that I would be arriving around 9 pm, however when I got there, no one was there. I called numerous times and even hit the horn of my car, to try to get someone out. Luckily for me, I was able to find another place to stay.

This is a situation that is unacceptable since the staff was aware that I was coming late. I will not recommend to stay at this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Rick_Secret_Garden, Owner at Secret Garden, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
I am really sorry we missed each other. I understood you were arriving at 5pm. I waited till 8:30pm and then I left for dinner with other guests.
Chirripo National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

... really deserves to be recognized! I gave it all 5's in relation to price vs quality of service and accommodations. The Secret Garden is a actually the home of Ric, an American gentleman who opened this B&B a few years back. Each room has it's own separate entrance from the outside through a nice garden walkway and patio. The location is excellent and located in a nice neighborhood. It is away from the city center but only by a few minutes and hip restaurants and boutiques are a short distance away in Escazú and Santa Ana.

For business it is perfectly located. La Sabana is down the road, access to the Bolaños regional airport is only 5 minutes away, the international airport is just 20 minutes on a very direct route. Getting a bus or a taxi es really easy.

The rooms are very quiet and clean. The beds are comfy and the rooms have a TV and minifridge. There are no cooking facilities but there are many nearby places to eat: Tico, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Argentine, Chinese, Mexican, American fast food and the list goes on. There is a restaurant a short drive away run by a 3 star Michellin chef. The breakfast is served on a lovely little deck and includes fresh coffee, fruit, eggs (perfectly scrambled, not dry no wet but perfect) and bread, butter and jam. Ric, the owner is a charming man and good conversationalist. For the price, I would challenge anyone to find something even comparable.

The garden is intimate, small and very nicely done. There is a deck chair outside where I went out with my laptop (Free WiFi) do to some work but ended up daydreaming while listening to the dozens of birds and looking at the deep blue skies above.

I would highly recommend the Secret Garden to anyone looking for an economical rate and for whom personal contact and service is important. With as much privacy as you get, it is comforting to know that Ric is nearby and always ready to answer questions. The place is spotless, quiet and very comfortable but is not stocked with frills like hairdryers, irons, bathrobes,etc... So if you are a little on the higher-maintenance side or need room service or a place to cook, check into a full service hotel.

The draw back: it only has 2 rooms. The upside: it only has 2 rooms :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank CarlosRojasMonteAzul
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

Maybe dull is good, compared to some of the scarier city neighborhoods.

The owner, Rick, is a charming host, and was quite patient with my unreliable transportation provider. The room was spacious and comfortable (although the bathroom was a little small). Breakfast was included in the rate. There a fun bar/restaurant two short blocks away. the location is good for a pre-departure stay (i.e. it's on the side of San Jose closer to the airport).

I would definitely stay there again on another visit to San Jose.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jerry G
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2008

Again I stayed at the Secret Garden and enjoyed my experience. I booked a room for 7 days and was very happy with all aspects of this great little B&B. Rooms are nicely decorated and the beautiful patio / garden area is so relaxing and peaceful. Ric is the host and goes out of his way to see that you are comfortable. His 3 course breakfasts with the wonderful Costa Rican coffee are worth the visit alone. This B&B is located in Rohrmoser, close to several restaurants, shops, and grocery stores. The bus is close by and taxi service is available, too. If you are interested in tours, Ric can assist with booking those, too. This is the only place I stay now when I visit Costa Rica!

• Liked — The beautiful facilities and the wonderful breakfasts
  • Disliked — In San Jose
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank txsshar
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2007

We stayed at this hotel because it was inexpensive. We were looking for a place to sleep after a long flight and were looking to quickly get in and get out of San Jose. The hotel served its purpose. It was basic and everyone was very friendly. However the hotel location is not ideal. It is on a very dark street with a lot of prostitutes. For two young girls it was really scary looking for a restaurant at night in this area. There are even bars on the door and windows of the hotel. Once we were in the hotel we felt completely safe.

This is a gay run hotel and we were mistaken for lesbians on both nights we stayed at the hotel. We were unaware of this aspect of the hotel and while it didn't matter in the least it served for some good laughs as everyone was pointing us to lesbian bars and clubs in the area.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank djr76
I am not quite clear if you stayed at our place. We are clearly not a hotel and I have lived here for 8 years and never seen prostitutes on our street or in our neighbourhood. Our place is located in a total residential neighbourhood and not ideal for prostitutes. Sorry about your experience.
Toronto, ONT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2006

In a quiet residential suburb of San Jose, on bus route to downtown. Owner Ric is very friendly and helpful, and a riot if you get to know him! Room has everything you need. A nice garden with lots of trees and flowers. Breakfast served in the garden consists of fresh fruit salad, eggs or pancakes, toast, juice, coffee and tea. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2006
#3 of 16 in Escazu
Casa Laurin B&B
Casa Laurin B&B
#1 of 4 in San Rafael de Escazu

Been to Secret Garden? Share your experiences!