“Undergoing Renovation--Will Be Much Better Soon” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Centro Colon Hotel
Ranked #48 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
Westmoreland, Tennessee
“Undergoing Renovation--Will Be Much Better Soon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed eight nights as part of a group. The hotel has parking across the terribly busy street. Ignore the tired small lobby decor and the uncomfortable lobby furniture. All of that is changing and soon.

Several floors are currently being renovated (9th, 3rd), some have been renovated (8th, 6th), and some have not been touched yet (5th).

We were in room 802 and had a view of the park and the Pan American Highway as well as the surrounding mountains. The room was average size and featured the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever experienced. Four large/great pillows topped off the bed.

The bathroom was ok--not great--with indifferent water pressure and temperature that seemed to change at a whim.

Decor was a good attempt at upscale, with a flat screen tv, large wardrobe, and desk. Carpet was new.

Staff was incredibly friendly and kind but didn't seem too eager to offer service. Our room maid performed admirably, but we tipped daily; another couple in our group didn't tip daily and was lucky to receive new towels. One morning at 3:30, the alarm clock went off in the empty room next door. It took staff 30 minutes after my second call to come up and turn it off.

One of the staff high lights was Mario, the head bellhop; he is a short man who sing-songs his sentences and is a delight.

Avoid the casino, which is not actually affiliated with the hotel.

Breakfast was included, and was a buffet. We received omelets cooked to order and bottomless cups of wonderful Costa Rican coffee.

For the 8 nights, we paid roughly $500 per room for two including tax.

As in any large city, going out at night is risky if you go alone. Stick to the main roads and the PA Highway area and you'll be fine. Good restaurants nearby.

When the updates are completed, the Nuevo Centro Colon will be much better.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank sibiur

Solo
Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

Everything about this hotel was average from the rooms to the service. The location is not great, but it is within walking distance of the centre, although we were advised to be careful at night. The rooms was large but very dimly lit and very tired. It was ok for a couple of nights but I am sure you could do better. There was a rather odd casino attached if that is to your liking!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

The Centro Colon is very close to the bad part of town and therefore walking places is not recommended - though make sure to go to the Mexican restaurant across the street! Depending on where you are in the hotel, you can get a terrible room or a decent room. I have stayed here twice and the first time my room had no view and was by a wind tunnel that did not permit me to sleep. The second night I had a huge room with a stunning view of the Poas Volcano. Decent place - but not for those who wish to spend any time in the country's capital.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Monroe, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

I was in Costa Rica for a week and I stayed at Hotel Centro Colon the last night in order to be closer to the airport. The kindest thing I can say is, "Ugh!".

The reservation was made by travel agent friends of my sister-in-law (who is a Tica) and I can only imagine that they've never actually seen one of the rooms or eaten at the restaurant. (This travel agent made transportation arrangements during our trip, all of which were fantastic.)

After some minor issues with check-in, I went to my room which was rather cheesy and was only moderately clean. There was a safe but it was locked. When I went to the front desk to ask for the key, they said there was a $3 fee to rent it plus I had to leave a credit card for a deposit. I raised a little hell and got out of leaving the deposit only because the travel agent knew my sister-in-law. There were only 2 towels for 2 people and no other supplies other than a tiny bar of soap. The carpet was greasy/dirty so I didn't walk barefoot in the room. There was hair and dirt on the bathroom floor (whose door didn't stay shut). The mattress was ok, but the bedspread and blanket were as clean as the carpet. The shower was large and at least there was ample hot water.

With the room we got a coupon for free breakfast but clearly it's free only because no one would actually pay for such horrible food. I had just spent a week in Costa Rica, enjoying delicious fresh fruit and pinto gallo in several places around the country so this was really a letdown. It was unfortunate that the food the last morning I was there literally left such a bad taste in my mouth.

The travel agent chose this place because it was a little less money than the hotels closer to the airport. I would have preferred to spend a little more money to have a better experience. Thankfully I was only there for one night.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank NYTraveling