You know, any time your interaction includes apologizing to the receptionist for having to interrupt him to get your key to your room, it's probably downhill from there. I've stayed at this hotel several times over the years, it's proximity to Sabana park, ARCR, and other services makes it pretty convenient; but since it's been purchased (presumably by a Chinese family since the sign includes such characters) it's gone downhill.
I booked a room, was quoted one price as a resident who had stayed before. Arrived, and was charged a higher price. Upon questioning it, was basically told, "Do you want your room or not?" Standing there as the taxi drove off, and my bags are piled on the floor... I guess I'll stay. About midway through the transaction, the phone rang. The desk clerk spent at least 8-10 minutes talking to the person on the phone, never once attempting to close out my transaction so I could get to my room, all I needed was my key, the paperwork was completed, the colones exchanged. So finally, he hangs up, hands us the key and we're dismissed. I asked him to turn on the jacuzzi, as it was cold, covered, and seemingly closed. They obliged. We went to our room (clean, acceptable) and were well assisted by a nice valet who apologized for the long wait at the counter.
We checked the jacuzzi on the way to dinner (6:30 or so) it was warming, but not quite comfortable. Upon returning a bit before 8:00 it was hot and ready to enjoy. I went in to ask the clerk to turn off the heater as we didn't want it getting hotter, as it obviously was still heating. He told me it was closed. I questioned this, and he said it closed at 8:00, it was now 8:10. I told him it was unusable earlier in the night, he said it was ready earlier but we left. I offered that it was indeed still on, we were not going to be loud, and since the hotel had seemingly only 1 other room occupied, might he allow us to use it. NOPE!
I later went down to ask him to call me a taxi in the morning for an early morning flight. Again, in the middle of him making the apppropriate notes, the phone rang. Again, I waited for him to get off the phone... eventually he puts his hand over the phone and says, "Do you need something?" I said I was waiting for him to finish to know if I had a cab scheduled. He rolled his eyes and says, i'll call in the morning. I asked for a wake up call, "No, we don't do those".
So... this will be the last time I stay here. There are so many better options in San Jose; better prices, amenities delivered and not just advertised, and far far far better service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soluxe El Sesteo Hotel offers the service of lodging to companies, institutions and public in general in a familiar atmosphere, executive and secure. You will be able to make your plans of work and personal order. Near to interest places such as: Airports, Banks, commercial zones and at just 5 minutes of San Jose downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Soluxe El Sesteo Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartotel El Sesteo Hotel San Jose
- Soluxe El Sesteo Hotel Costa Rica/San Jose