“Very comfortable, warm and professional. Also, the best value!”
Review of Kaps Place

Kaps Place
Ranked #1 of 64 San Jose B&B and Inns
New York City
“Very comfortable, warm and professional. Also, the best value!”
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed for a couple of nights in Costa Rica. I felt like I was a house guest not a hotel guest due to the hospitality and warmth of the hosts. All amenities are provided and Karla, the manager, will go out of her to accommodate any guest requests. The staff is very polite and professional. The hotel itself is pretty, quaint and very secure. I would certainly go back and recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
alonj81
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This little gem located in San Jose has an outstanding staff. They are well prepared to provide an excellent service to every guest. The hotel has everything you would like to have when you are away from home, actually feels like home! It has awesome rooms, clean, colorful. I did not have any planned for my trip, I decided to talk to the staff, they gave me you very insightful explanations of what I had in mind to do while I was there, but the staff basically planned my trip.

By the way, I don’t want to forget, you will get all this service for a excellent price. I live in NY and every time somebody asks me where I can stay if I go to Costa Rica, the first thing that comes to my mind is Kaps Place, too bad this is not a hotel chain, but you will experience a great welcoming if your first stop is in San Jose.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Kansas
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I have stayed at Kap's Place several times throughout the years since the guesthouse opened opened, perhaps ten years ago. Each time, Karla and the hotel staff have been warm and friendly, extraordinarily attentive, and clearly, completely oriented toward highest quality customer service. All of my needs have been met promptly and with cheer and enthusiasm. The staff has coordinated great tours and excursions to other parts of the country, going far out of their way to locate obscure hotels or restaurants that I have sought.

The Kap's Place experience really is "a home away from home"--but better! I feel completely safe (as a single, 20-something woman) traveling to and from the hotel by foot or taxi to nearby parks, restaurants, and downtown San Jose (a short walk). I would have no reservations about staying in the hotel, and would recommend it highly. You will leave knowing that you have a family in Costa Rica, and will return as soon as possible to re-live the experience.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed March 29, 2009

My sister and I stayed here a while ago based on so many favorable reviews. It was indeed affordable, clean, and the staff was hospitable upon our arrival. As we decided to settle for the evening in our room, I looked out our 2nd floor window onto the street and noticed a man looking into our room, masturbating. It was dark outside, the light in our room was on, and the curtains didn't sufficiently cover the windows completely, making much of the room visible from the street. We decided to bring this up with the management, in hopes they would be able to address our discomfort with this situation. The women we talked to dismissed our concern with an attitude that made us feel rude for bringing it up, saying he was harmless and that we should just ignore it. I don't doubt he was harmless, but I certainly don't feel comfortable knowing someone is staring into my room and getting off on it. We returned to our room, I phoned the hotel across the street (Aranjuez Hotel) because it too was thankfully listed in our Lonely Planet guide. I told someone our problem and an employee of the hotel promptly went outside, handed the offender a cigarette and he relocated down the block. Sure he kept masturbating but I'd rather him do his deed without making me feel like was part of a show. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to have found this to be an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank JauntyAlouette
KapsOwner, General Manager/Owner at Kaps Place, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
I am writing to apologize for your experience ma'am. I am truly sorry you had to witness an unpleasant scene from your room. After contacting every worker I have on staff and calling each regarding this issue I reread your comment and noticed your visit was on July 2006. I am unsure of your purpose in publicly communicating this experience 3 years later. All guests know I live at the hotel and am here to immediately resolve problems -- it would have been as easy to move you to another room. I am the only manager the hotel has had and know (based on our rules, morals, careful screening of guests, etc.) that issues like these are our top priority, along with safety, service and cleanliness. I am easy to contact -- now I provide my cell phone to guests on the website. We offer 24 hour service here to everyone and make sure they are comfortable. The only female on reception staff at that time is Fidelia (who has been here 10 years but does not work evenings and is still here and highly commended for her service and dedication). Our hotel is physically improved now and should you have the opportunity to visit again you can witness the changes. However our standars in service remain high and only get better. Again, we are sorry for your experience and wish we could have solved your discomfort at that time in 2006 if we were aware of the situation.
louky
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I stayed at KAPS PLACE as I had a few things to take care of in San Jose in preparation to go to Quepos where I am working on an eco-retreat. I was pleasantly surprised by the 'round the clock support from informed staff. The value was great and I felt like I was staying at the home of a dear friend. Everything and everyone was so comfortable. While I knew where I was going, I observed the KAPS PLACE staff going above and beyond to help other travelers find hotels in other areas when none seemed available. I recommend KAPS PLACE as a friendly clean accommodation for those that need a landing pad in San Jose

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
kansas
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We arrived in San Jose and was picked up by a waiting cab at the airport. Once we had arrived we were checked in and shown to our room. The hotel is uniquely decorated with a very caribbean feel. Although the hotel was small the rooms were nice sized, clean and tidy. We were really happy with the location as we were close to downtown, shopping and other tourist activities. Although the neighborhood is nice we felt safer being in a very secure environment and next to several universities. The hotel staff was good at setting up a trip to go whitewater rafting and actually negotiated a pretty good discount for us. We would recommend this hotel to anyone but be advised they have rules that are not typical for other hotels but we felt the rules kept the riff raff from loitering out front of the hotel and from us being bothered at night. Overall great hotel, great price and great service. We will stay there in future trips to San Jose.

• Liked — Personalized Care
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jayhawkfrank
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2008

If you're really paranoid about safety and love pages of rules and regulations then this is the place for you !
After travelling for over 16 hours in a bus and arriving after 1:00am I was asked to hand over $100. US security fee and read/sign a 2 page document ! Really ??!! The next morning, still groggy I asked where breakfast (included) was and was told that's it's only from 7-9am !! It was 9:40 so I was not offered any breakfast and felt quite shabbily treated. You also have to ask to leave the hotel and are buzzed out. If you don't ask you'll be trapped between 2 doors as I was because I didn't know about this. I would hope someone knows where that buzzer is in the event of a fire !!
The room was clean and comfortable, but I would never return and would never recommend it to other travellers. I am a very experienced traveller and have never had anything like this happen in Costa Rica or other countries.

• Liked — clean quiet room
  • Disliked — over the top rules/regulations, ridiculous security & $100. security fee
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kittyscuba
KapsOwner, Owner at Kaps Place, responded to this review, April 30, 2008
San Jose is the largest city in Costa Rica and, as any city, crime is not foreign to it. In ten+ years of owning Kaps we are happy to say not once has our hotel been victim of crime. Most of the hotels in San Jose have been robbed and tourists have to go through terrible experiences. We are extremely careful in taking care of our guests and screening who comes into our hotel. Thus, the positive results and 10 year safety record. Regarding breakfast policy yes we are sorry to say we only serve it from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Our personnel moves on to cleaning rooms after 9 a.m. and as a small guest house we are unable to serve breakfast throughout the entire day. Very experienced travellers know that even five star hotels such as Hilton Hotels have set hours for free meals. Very experienced travellers also know that in order for a room to be reserved for a guest who arrives at midnight the room has to be empty since check in is at 2:00 p.m. and check out is at 11:00 a.m. Hotels will charge for the night regardless of the hour the guests chooses to arrive. We have a closed circuit monitoring system and I have personally reviewed the situation at check in and check out and receptionists did have a hard time explaining the issue of having to pay for the night and that may have been interpreted as "not nice" however they are extremely friendly and service oriented. We are sorry we could not please you.