“Clean & Friendly hostel in Downtown San Jose”
Review of Hotel Kaps Place

Hotel Kaps Place
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Within very easy walking distance of the central pedestrian area of San Jose, this hostel has lots of private rooms, great staff, a couple of kitchen areas, and a very nice breakfast included in the price. They will also arrange shuttles to and from the airport and have free internet and international calling available for guests. We stayed there on our arrival in Costa Rica and again for a couple of nights before we left to return home.

Room Tip: Double rooms may have private or shared bath so you may want to inquire if that's important to y...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I ran across this little place quite by accident, I arrived late into San Jose missing my 7:30 am Interbus pick up, so here I am at the airport at 8 pm and no reservations. I called the place I always stay and find them full but he recommends this place Kaps and the lady cab driver knew the place and thanks goodness because believe me you would never find it otherwise. I am so thankful the lady had held a room for me when she only had two. she met me at the gate, helped me with my luggage and showed me her tea selection. I was in heaven, she had lemon grass. I had my own staircase and I looked over the breakfast/courtyard area. I had a good quiet nights sleep, (I needed a blanket with the fan on) internet was in my room, my own hot shower, breakfast and off to Playa Chiquita I headed. She even helped with Interbus to tell them where I was. Oh, it was only $40. "YOU GO GIRL"

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was pushed out from another very nearby place where my friends were staying. There were no more rooms so I rolled over to Kaps. Well, what an upgrade. I was paying much less than my friends and having been in the other place was blown away by how much more I was getting for the price!!! I could not think of one additional thing that Kaps could come up with in order to make a traveler's stay more convenient and comfortable. Thanks and see you next time I come to San Jose!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've been to Costa Rica twice - in 2005 and 2013 - and both times I've stayed at Kap's place on my night of arrival (and a couple of other nights during the first trip). The staff are friendly and helpful, and will help with any sort of arrangements you need to make before or after you arrive.

The rooms are basic, and the walls aren't the thickest, but everything is kept neat and clean, and the lobby/lounge area is really charming. Quiet hours are enforced, so even the lounge-facing rooms are pretty quiet at night.

On my last trip, I arrived at around 10pm and had to leave before breakfast and was actually charged $10 LESS than the price I was quoted when I booked.

I'm sure there are plenty of other clean, friendly, inexpensive guesthouses in San Jose, but this is the one I know. When I return to Costa Rica in another few years, I'll probably make another pit stop here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We spent our last 2 nights in San Jose at Kap's Place and it was fabulous. Everyone was very friendly, rooms were clean and orderly, and the common areas were inviting and comfortable. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed the last night in CR here and was pleased with the bright cheerful atmosphere of the place. Only 15 minutes to the center of the city, but very quiet and safe. Don't stay in room 6- it's sandwiched between reception and the communal kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place comes with high praise by Lonely Planet, and for good reason. Super clean rooms (I was solo in a twin room, $40USD), with private bath and BF included. Wonderful common areas and huge kitchen for self-catering. Great staff. Wi-fi is haphazard, like in much of CR - sometimes on, sometimes off, varying speeds. I had a vehicle and they accommodated (for free) in a secure area, an unexpected bonus. Not a great option for families with small kids, due to the lack of sound insulation (our kids would be too loud for this place). However, a couple or solo - perfect!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo