“Great Place and Amazing People”
Review of Hotel Kaps Place

Hotel Kaps Place
Ranked #27 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Illinois, United States
“Great Place and Amazing People”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my first trip to Costa Rica, and I stayed for the month of November at Kaps Place. As a single female traveler, I felt very comfortable and safe in the neighborhood. The room and common areas are VERY clean. Breakfast was plentiful (I am missing the wonderful fresh fruit) and coffee and tea were available all day.

Karolina is an amazing hostess! She was extremely helpful in booking my day trips, recommending other hotels in CR when I traveled and answered all questions I had.

Karolina, Dorothe, David, and staff were warm and welcoming. Many nights the guests gathered together to cook, talk, and share their CR experiences together. For Thanksgiving, Karolina surprised us by taking us to the store and purchasing the groceries for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, and invited everyone to join in the fun - a memory that I will always cherish!

Many friendships were made and I am looking forward to returning! Thank you Karolina!

Room Tip: I stayed in the annex, so the rooms were very quiet!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tiffany B
Karolina B, General Manager at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place stands for your home in San José with personalized service with a smile. Our accommodations, common areas and room amenities are those found in hotels but not hostels. For that we like to stand out by offering our guests that comfort and convenience. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your month with us and we look forward serving you during your next long stay in Costa Rica.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I have been there for three nights along our trip to Costa Rica. The place is extreamly clean, there's a great breakfast (get up early for pineapples! mmmm...), the crew is very welcoming and willing to help in anything!
If you get there late at night - walk for a minute to the chinese restaurant around the corner and get yourself a fine meal (even when the's no one in there but you :)....).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place stands for your home in San José with personalized service with a smile. Our location does offer lots of convenience to travelers on the go or for long stay. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us and we look forward serving you again on your next visit to Costa Rica.
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had contacted Karolina thru Airbnb before arriving, & the rate was $25. for a private room & bath, which is what I agreed to. Upon arrival a private room was available, but only with a shared bath. I said that was ok (altho surprised she hadn't let me know, since I had contact with her a few times by phone prior to my getting there), but when she said the price would be $30., I told her it was to be $25. She then said she'd give me a "special" price of $25.

During the night I was cold, and asked if there were extra blankets available, but was told they were not.

I was able to get a private room with a shower the next day, & that room was equivalent to a cave (barely accommodated the twin bed, & dark without windows). I was fine with the room, yet found it odd that she kept telling me what a wonderful room it was as she walked me to it in another building. After accepting the room, I saw fluid on the toilet seat, as well as hair on the shower floor. I mentioned that to Karolina a bit later, & she was very defensive, saying the fluid had to be water rather than pee. I asked if I could get a bar of soap, since none was left, & also asked for another blanket again. Someone brought both, altho the "blanket" was more like a baby bunting (very thin, & small). That night I was very cold, & unable to sleep with air coming in thru the ceiling.

Next day I asked to please have a warmer blanket, & Karolina said it wasn't possible, since they are accounted for. I told her that I had no intention of stealing it, & asked if she would please accommodate my request. Another blanket was delivered, & it was thicker.

Next day I arrived in the kitchen for breakfast (included in price of room) at 8:20 ish, and there was virtually no food left. Breakfast was to be served from 7-9. I asked the hostess for more food to be put out, & was told it was all gone. Another person asked the same, & was told the same. I ate across the street for a $9. wonderful breakfast.

Karolina was not there all morning & afternoon, but when I arrived that evening I told her about the breakfast issue. She asked why I didn't tell her, & I said she was not there to tell. I told her that I would expect an adjustment on the price of my room.

I was going to stay that night again, yet she raised the price to $30., saying that's what it says on her website. I told her I would not agree to that. When I left the hostel, I could not find her. She'd tried to run my credit card the day before, but said her system was not working. So I still owed for the previous night.

The day after I left I emailed her, telling her that I still owed for my 3rd night staying there, & that I proposed $9. be taken off the price of the room since breakfast was not provided. I didn't hear back. A few days later I saw on my credit card statement that she had charged me $127.50 for the 3rd night of my stay. I don't know how she ran any amount, since she didn't have my credit card in hand. I'm disputing this charge with Master Card, and have emailed her again, but no response thus far.

I expect more out of a business owner. In my dealings with her, I found her to be unprofessional, uncaring, and immature. She directed another guest to a particular tour, & as I saw him giving her feedback about it, she was very defensive. I and some other guests were also locked out of the building at night, with no one answering the doorbell for over 10 minutes. When one of the guests complained to her, she insisted that he was wrong, & that she'd been at the desk to release the buzzer that would have allowed us in. I would hope that any owner would want guests to be comfortable, and would appreciate feedback for future guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gemmer983
karolinakapsplace, Owner at Hotel Kaps Place, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Christy,
I am trully sorry your experience at Kaps Place was not to your satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to write us about it.
With regards to the issue of the blankets the hotel policy is one blanket and one comforter per bed. Actually is weird, you are making this complains because we gaved you 4 extra blankets every night.
All guests who contact the hotel via airbnb are advised to book via airbnb where they will clearly find policies regarding prices and types of rooms.
The guidelines which are posted on our website, on airbnb's site, and all the listings that we're appears, are reviewed in detail with the guests however if they don't book ahead of time we cannot guarantee a type of room or rate.
As a manager I welcome, as does my staff, all comments and will act upon where there is room for improvement immediately.
I am a live-in manager and am on the premises 24/7 so I dont understand why you left from my hotel without paid your bill and this is why I charged your credit card with the total amount of your stay.
I hope MasterCard will resolve your issue with the charge.
God bless you!
NY
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here one night. This place is probably above average relative to other B&Bs in San Jose, but overall it's an average place with some charm. The host was friendly and helpful. The place has small pool for kids, gaming room and plenty of sitting area. There is a little area decorated like a mini jungle, which is cute. The breakfast in the morning was nice. The room we stayed in was very blend and tiny. It was fine for a sleep over, but I don't see myself staying there for much longer. You can hear everything through the walls. I can't say too much on the location as we didn't go anywhere in San Jose, but it's far from the bus station (need to take a taxi). Overall, our stay was comfortable and the host was very nice while the place is average it is probably better than many in the area! 3.5 stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place offers quite a variety of accommodations for short and long term guests. With room occupancy up to five guests with private and shared bathroom equipped with hotel amenities hard to find in Hostels. Our location is very strategically to places that a traveler would be looking out for. We offer free peaks like international phone calls to over 60 countries, a full equipped kitchen with most of the upgraded electronics, 24 hours coffee and tea, Wifi all over the premises and high speed internet. A full package stay at a five star hotel.
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I spent a total of 7 nights at Kaps Place when I was in Costa Rica because I just kept coming back to my home-base! Karolina, Dorothe and the team always made me feel welcome and were more like friends than staff. Every other traveller I met there was also friendly and everyone says hello and wants to get to know each other. I spontaneously went off with two people I'd only met in the first week.
The rooms and building are quirky and fun, the breakfast is good, loved having tea and coffee available all day. The kitchen is always clean and there are corner shops very close by. The showers in the the rooms (I stayed in 2 different ones) are fantastic and powerful. Its about a 20mi walk from downtown. There are 2 computors with a decent internet speed. Another bonus is the phone where you can make free calls internationally.
The only negative but I don't think you can help it with a residential building like that is the walls are a little thin. But It wouldn't stop me going again. Maybe just ask for a room away from the common area/kitchen.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place stands for your home in San José with personalized service with a smile. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your 7 nights with us and we do hope to serve you once more during your next visit to Costa Rica.
drake bay, osa penninsula, costa rica
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We are owners of a B&B ourselves. So, when we have to go out of town, we like to check out the various options to tell our guests about for their transfers to and from our place.

We stayed 2 nights at Kap's. It is clean, very friendly, has free wifi at a good speed (hard to find in Costa Rica), and the management couldn't be more helpful.

Kap's is conviently located to services and taxis. If you have to leave prior to the 7am breakfast time, Karolina will make you a breakfast bag to take on your way.

I would definately recommend Kap's to anyone who has to spend some time in San Jose.

Room Tip: Hostel #6 is close to the game room. If you go to bed really early, you might want to choose anothe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place has an extremely convenient location to most of the places you would be looking for as a traveler. With room rates hard to beat. We do have strict hours of silence from 10 pm - 8 am whereby all our common areas are quiet for our guests to get a good night rest. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your two nights with us and we thank you for your recommendation.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Location, location, location... Kap's is in a very safe area, just a short walk away from downtown. I walked back late at night a few times and never felt it was unsafe. Great breakfast included, and since it's just a few blocks away from a hospital, there are many options for restaurants, bakeries, mini markets, etc. It's also a walk away from San Pedro, where there is a mall and a very intense and interesting nightlife. Having said all that, it's in a very quiet and silent street.

The place itself is also great. Indoors common area with tables, kitchen, computers, couches, hammocks, pool table and other games, storage room etc. Outdoors common area with tables, a small swimming pool and a grill. Rooms are nice, silent and clean. My room had a nice toilet with a great hot shower.

Last but not least, people are amazing. The staff alone would already be a reason for me to go back and stay there. The owner is actually there working most of the day at the reception, and she couldn't be nicer and more friendly. And her whole crew is just great. If you stay a few days, you will definitely become friends with them.

I travel a lot (for work), usually staying in at least 50 different hotels every year, from hostels to 4 star hotels, and Kap's was a really good surprise!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for taken the time to write us your commentary. Kaps Place signifies your home in San José with great personalized service in a safe, secure and quiet atmosphere. We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to serve you again on your business trip to Costa Rica.