Hotel Kaps Place
$90
Hotels.com
$85
Bookit.com
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
$87
$90
$62
$59
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsquiet hourscosta ricacommon areasa great stayfresh fruithot showerpura vidathree nightspolloenjoyed my stayfew blockskarolinaannexmosaicshammocksneighborhoodoasis
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed in Kaps Place in 12/10, but I just now got into writing reviews for hotels. My trip to Costa Rica was a personal journey of sorts. I was having some personal issues at home in the US, and I wanted to run away for Christmas. I have dreamed of visiting Central America on my own, and just wandering and exploring. However I was petrified as I don't speak much Spanish and had heard all of the scary stories about tourists being robbed. I bought a Lonely Planet guidebook for CR and found that Kaps Place was one of the recommended hotels. I looked at the website many times and began to feel very comfortable with going to Costa Rica on my own. Kaps Place looked like a real home away from home, the staff looked like they would help me with anything that I needed. I especially appreciated the Taxi warning on the page. I felt that with this honest tip, I would be better armed to take care of myself if anyone tried to fool me on the streets. I have a lot of respect for Karla adding that to this page. I also appreciated the "Are we for you" page on the website. It all made me feel very comfortable.

Fast forward to my visit...Kaps Place was everything that I had hoped for and more. My room was absolutely adorable and very clean, as was the entire hotel. Everyday I marveled at what a quaint, and adorable establishment it was. I loved the courtyard as well as all of the children's toys strewn about. The staff was incredibly helpful. One night Karla's son was playing ball by himself in the hallway. I went out to say hello to him and he was extremely concerned that the noise from the ball was disturbing me. He was a very nice young man. The hotel also provided me with a cell phone which gave me peace of mind.

I stayed there for 5 nights and explored the streets and nearby towns. I shopped, ate in restaurants, wandered in the parks, and took photos. It was a wonderful trip. I truly enjoyed having Kaps Place as my home base, and felt extremely safe there. The security precautions that the hotel takes are wonderful. I appreciate that they are cautious with the taxis that they call for the guests. All taxis and shuttle that I took were phenomenal.

Prior to my visit, I had a lot of email communication with Karla. She answered all of my questions very promptly. She also asked me if I could bring her quite a few things from the USA that were not readily available to her and her family in CR. She told me that she would reimburse me when I arrived. I was happy to help her and did quite a bit of shopping for her. As she promised, she had taken the amount that I had spent off of my total bill.

Kaps Place = 5 stars from me!!!! Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2012

First let me say that the support staff for this establishment were fine. Everyone was very nice. The space itself also wasn't awful.

The main problems with Kap's Place are its location and the owner.

First of all, the hotel is not close to most places in San Jose. It is out of the main part of the city and away from the more interesting neighborhoods. The best illustration of this point is that I had 2 cab drivers who didn't know where it was. TWO-- one might be a new driver, or a fluke, but two? My driver from the airport had to call his dispatcher a few times as he drove around in circles in one of the rougher seeming areas of the city. The next day, after being picked up in the center of the city, my incredibly nice driver didn't know the address and couldn't make heads or tails out of the map the hotel draws up itself for its guests. He said that it was missed labeled and ultimately had to call the hotel and be coached to the destination.

A lot of my bad feeling about the hotel also comes from a very strange series of events with the owner. Be warned: If you book the hotel she might contact you to be a courier of junk to San Jose. After I booked, expressed my preference for a room, and informed her that I would need to check in at around 2am, I received an email saying that the hotel kept regular business hours but if I would provide my address and receive packages from Amazon.com to bring to her someone would wait up for me "like Santa with milk and cookies" (her words).

So obviously I should have started looking for another hotel right then, but something in my nature decided that this was a good thing to do. Her emails mentioned that she wanted to order stuff for her children and I though it must be difficult to get some things down in Costa Rica.

Anyway, I am going to cut this short because it is boring. In the email exchanges she suggested that she would be willing to pay any baggage fees she might incur. I ended up bringing one bag more than I normally travel with, mostly filled with the cheap stuff she had ordered online. I got to the hotel and had the desk clerk try to put me in a room that was $20 a night more than the one I had reserved and sent an explicit e-mail saying i didn't want to stay in a room that cost ay more than the one I booked.

I never saw this owner the entire two nights I was there. She never made an effort to find out if I had incurred any fees for extra baggage, and she never once thanked me for making this special effort.

So I probably was a sucker for agreeing to bring the stuff down. She mentioned that some of the stuff was for a son's birthday party and I know that pulled on my heart strings. But, Really!?!?! Not a word of thanks? I'd say that speaks volumes about other issues you might encounter if you stay at Kap's Place and have any dealings with this person.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed February 5, 2012

It was a delight for our family to stay at Kaps place. It really felt like a home for my two boys. Throughout our trip they have felt less than welcomed at many places, but immediately upon entering Kap's Place - the bright colors and the playroom put them at ease. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking supplies and sharp knives, there are a number of places to rest, to socialize, and to sit in the sun. The beds were perfectly firm and provided the best sleep we've had in Costa Rica. It was a great experience and I will stay no other place when return to San Jose.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Our family has been staying at Kaps Place for a couple weeks. It is in an excellent location...super close to downtown San Jose (we walked there last week) and very close to UCR, lots of US fast food chains, the San Pedro Mall (great shopping) and the language school where my husband is enrolled.

The staff is very friendly and ready to help with any requests. Our children are safe exploring the property with CCTV monitoring common areas and very secure double entry. There's plenty to keep them occupied: free WiFi, ping pong tables, games, a climbing wall and enclosed garden area.

We were initially hesitant about staying in a "hostel" as a family, but this is NOT a place where young partiers come to crash after a night on the town. It IS a clean, safe and generally quiet (some traffic noise can be heard, but this is a city) place to spend a comfortable night (or more) near San Jose without exorbitant rates. It's also just a couple blocks away from an organic farmer's market (Saturday mornings only), for those who like organic products. But also a short taxi drive ($3 or less) to Walmart or the Saturday farmer's market in Guadalupe that isn't organic, but is much cheaper. :o)

Room Tip: The apartment is nice because it has it's own kitchen and washer & dryer.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have stayed at Kaps four (4) times in the past. The atmosphere has always been great with a friendly helpful staff. Kaps was originally recommended to me by a local San Jose dentist. Kaps is in a safe San Jose location near a local University & Hospital. I have walked all over San Jose from Kaps & other than an occasional panhandler, (you can expect this in any large city, US or other), I personally, have never experienced any crime type problems. I'm a bit older that the average Kaps guest; I enjoy talking with the guest who are from locations from all over the world. If you're looking for a luxurious $300 / night hotel room Kaps probably wouldn't be for you; But if you're looking for a clean room at a reasonable rate you probably would be happy with Kaps. (Check their website)

Room Tip: There is less traffic in the Annex but all are OK
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo