New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
Danville, Kentucky
“Clean, safe, good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is a safe downtown hotel near the US Embassy. The hotel is clean and the showers are great. We stayed here twice once on the way into Costa Rica and once on the way out. We had a good experience each time. It is quiet for San Jose and only about 15 min from the airport. There are plenty of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
BusinessManager1, General Manager at Hotel Casa Roland San Jose, responded to this review, March 31, 2015
Dear EduTravelCentre,

We are happy about your wonderful comment that you shared on tripadvisor. Your comment is really important to us and we do highly appreciate the time that you dedicated to communicate your positive experience at the Hotel, including room area and the showers.

We hope you will be back soon to enjoy again our preferred guest services and hotel amenities.

Best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our three nights at Casa Roland bracketed a great weeklong yoga retreat (by WorldWild Adventure http://worldwildadventure.com) on the Osa Peninsula. The Casa turned out to be a remarkably wonderful part of the whole journey. It is refreshingly unlike any other hotel I’ve stayed in anywhere in the world. The owner, who lives there, created this hotel by purchasing a clutch of adjacent large houses then masterfully linking them architecturally into a remarkable travelers haven. The vast and beautiful collection of Costa Rican art was everywhere a feast for the eyes, our room spacious, spotless and well appointed, the bed superb, the towels thick and cozy, their full breakfast was shall we say “good enough”, and the Casa staff were knowledgeable, friendly, and spoke English well. We had wonderful wide-ranging conversations with Casa staff at the bar allowing us a much more personal connection with Costa Rica than we could have imagined. A great hotel that I will gladly return to.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charlie T
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife Jenn and I stayed at the Casa Roland in Jan. 2013 and were very pleased with our experience.We had just spent 3 days hiking and roughing it in Corcovado N.P. and arriving at the Casa Roland was a welcome treat! We were warmly greeted by Josie, our most excellent and knowledgeable receptionist and shown to our room. The room itself was more than we could have hoped for, 2 queen size beds, a sectional sofa, big screen t.v. and plenty of pillows and comforters.It was a great place to land after 3 days of jungle hiking! Also Josie recommended a great Argentinian steak house for my birthday dinner.I would recommend the Casa Roland for anyone looking for a beautiful hotel in the city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were staying in Manual Antonio for a month & needed to be in San Jose for an appointment @ the US Embassy early one morning. We were looking to use reward points & This Hotel Roland showed up on the Best Western site. Upon arriving, we were greeted by Josie @ the Front Desk who was very pleasant & helpful.; turns out the Embassy is about 1 mile away from the hotel. The ambiance of the hotel was amazing; we felt like we were staying in an art gallery in Madrid. Although the restaurant was only serving breakfast @ the time, the staff offered to make us something for lunch. Our suite was spacious & had recently be updated including the bath. Josie's recommendation for dinner was spot on (an Italian restaurant about 5 minute drive away). The Lobby Bar is cozy. I would definitely stay again when visiting San Jose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Laguna Woods, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a local expat who was very familiar with the area. My plane arrived late and there was only one cab left to take me to Case Roland. The driver knew exactly where it was but I was a little concerned with some of the neighborhoods we had to go through to get there. Turns out he was just taking shortcuts and we were there in no time.

It was the middle of the night so when we drove up the place looked like a jail. Iron bars all around it and not way to get in without ringing the night bell. It took several minutes but they finally let me in. I was still a little nervous because it was dark and the neighborhood didn't look great. But they got me to my room immediately and it was great! Very clean, spacious, nice furniture, and air conditioned. No elevators so I had to make a couple of trips to get all my luggage in. No problem though.

The next morning I got to walk around the hotel and found it was really cool! Lots of original and local art on the wall, neat little nooks to sit an read, an open air patio with lots of plants and comfortable chairs, and a tiny eat in kitchen restaurant. Breakfast was included and it was basically anything on the menu. The cook was gracious and was also the waitress.

I didn't get to look around the area much but I could see why there were bars on the doors and windows. It was not the greatest area to go for a run but I am not sure there would have been a problem. I just was not used to it.

After a 3 month stay on the beach I returned and spent the night before going back to the states. I got to experience the late evening bar and was surprised there were several very attractive young ladies who seemed to either work there or were waiting on someone.

Duhhhh.....

They were not intrusive nor solicitous so there was not problem.

The owner is an American and his marketing manager told me they have another hotel and a boat in another area of Costa Rica and take deep sea fishing charters out. Did not get to experience that but will the next time I go.

All in all it was a great experience with very friendly staff in super clean and well appointed rooms. I will certainly go back.

Room Tip: Since it is a boutique hotel, all the rooms are somewhat different so I don't know which are bes...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jerry L
West Dundee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I love it when I find nice places near the airport. It was like living in a local home, very nicely decorated and at a very affordable price. I wish I could say the staff was glorious but sometimes I felt they were in a hurry and didn't have much time to answer some question I had. They weren't rude, but I felt I bit left out. Apart from that the room was nice but I requested my cleaning to be done first thing in the morning and they only did it on my second day as I had requested, not a big issue, but I think they should write down guests requirements.

Room Tip: Top floor, if you can get it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Mateo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for a night before taking Nature Air to Drake Bay. After arriving at the international airport, and changing money upstairs at the departure area (getting a full 100 colones extra compared to the changers in the arrival area), we took an orange cab to Casa Roland. The driver recognized the name of the place right away. Cab fare came to $25.

Jessie at the reception was very welcoming. I wonder if she lived in the US--she spoke English without an accent. I had called the day before to ask for advice, since I was reluctant to make a reservation because of iffy flying weather, but she said they had lots of room on that day, which they did. We had no problem when we arrived, and she gave us the rate she mentioned on the phone, along with a nice room. I paid USD cash and got a decent exchange rate (503) although there wasn't a cash discount per se. She also helped us figure out what time we'd need to be up to make our plan, and set up a wakeup call.

We stayed in 124, which is a junior suite, and is in the back, and very quiet. The room has two windows, although there's no view; about 4 feet beyond the windows is some kind of sun screen. It was super quiet. The wifi signal is great and the hot water worked well. Nice, spacious room. I guess this is an old mansion so the rooms are laid out in groups of 4 or 5 with a seating area in between, and entertaining art.

Since we rolled in at 1pm with nothing in particular to do, we decided to walk to the mall about 1km away. It's a nice enough neighborhood so this wasn't an issue during the day. No idea how it is at night, but there are nice-ish houses around that area, and closer to the mall it gets higher end. We saw a few security guards, and also some police presence. We never felt unsafe.

On the way to mall there's a few restaurants, and then the mall has a food fair, and smattering of stores, and a cool café called Azafran. We saw lots of public buses on that road too. The walk was a nice way to introduce my wife to a costa rican neighborhood. We also happened on a high end grocery store called "Fresh." Prices were pretty similar to California, except some items like fruit juice seemed a good idea, and some imported items seemed expensive.

This was a great place to stay on our way to Drake Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 124, which is a junior suite, and is in the back, and very quiet. The room has two wind...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple