“Great Place in San Jose”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Great Place in San Jose”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my 5th trip to Costa Rica and I love staying at the Hotel Dunn Inn. The place has an antique feel but modern amenities. The staff is great. There is a happy hour every night for drinks at Rick's Sportsbar which is located inside the hotel. The rooms are clean and neat. Great value if you are staying in San Jose.

Room Tip: Room 29 is the penthouse.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The staff at the hotel were great and also Geoff the owner. The manager needs some people skills. I stayed there for two weeks and she never spoke to me and I saw her everyday. That is the first time that has ever happened to me in all my travels. The hotel is very clean and if you need anything the staff will help you. I would stay there again no problem. The food was good and the girls that worked at the restaurant and front desk were the best. My only complaint was the manager dosent know how to treat the guests. Also the taxi drivers were very good and fair and very helpful. If you stay there look up Rambo that works outside a special guy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John R
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Hotel was off the main city way Avendia Central and tucked back into across from the Tecnológico de Costa Rica. However, this was part of the actual charm of the hotel. I stayed in the Superior Queen Suite and it was decent. The hotel has an old world charm but with that does come the fixtures that seem to need a modern update. The bathrooms were average a modest. The same goes for the room decor. I will advise open the window upon arrival just to let out the moist air.

The quality of the staff was wonderful. Make the front desk staff you’re friends because they have a wealth of information. I would advise stopping at duty free in the airport for drinks prior to arrival it will cost you less in long run. They hotel does have events in the bar that the locals and tourist attend. This hotel is quite and traffic is quite low so having coffee in the morning and being left alone I not a problem.

I will be staying on my next visit.

Room Tip: Be Sure to get a second floor room to minimize noise at night. If possible pay with cash upon checko...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Dunn inn for two nights and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is nicely decorated and equipped with modern amenities. The food at the restaurant was really good and the staff was helpful and friendly. I was glad I stayed at the Dunn inn and will look to stay there in my future trips to San Jose.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Grego2
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After spending an amazing seven days on the beaches of Santa Teresa, I decided to stop over in San Jose one day before my flight heading back to the U.S. I chose this hotel based solely on the raving Trip Advisor reviews. WHOA are they misleading! I agree with many of the comments, it is a very clean hotel, with A/C and friendly staff, but as a solo female traveler, this should not have been my hotel of choice. I always appreciate the feel and character of small boutique hotels and lodges, but this one was a night mare. Someone else mentioned this is not a family hotel, I could not agree with them more!

I checked in on Friday at around 3pm. Walking into my room I was a little thrown off by the size, but since I have traveled a lot, I was aware that not every place is going to have the large space like American hotels. The condoms in the mini bar were a little odd, but then again, I thought, at least they are promoting safe sex. As for the neighborhood, in the daytime it may be safe, but I am no stranger to bad neighborhoods coming from the city of Los Angeles. I know when there is a security guard at every entrance of a place… something is not right.

I went down to the bar to have an (average) meal; I noticed I was surrounded by a lot of older American men flirting with the bartenders and the waitresses. As I was eating I notice one of the waitresses’ change her shirt in the middle of the bar, which honestly, I would have been fine with if it had not been creepy old men staring. Later in the evening, after I had walked around the center of San Jose, I decided to go back down and enjoy an evening in the bar, but began to notice the testosterone looming over the entire place. You think, “Ok, it's a bar. Who else would be in the bar?” but there wasn’t a single woman, except for the Costa Rican bartenders and waitresses who were catering to those men. Sound fishy, huh? As I made the decision to retreat back to my room, I stopped by the front desk to reserve my shuttle to the airport the following morning. As I waited to speak with the woman at the lobby desk, a young Costa Rican woman and an American man, stood at the front desk feeling each other up, while getting to know the basics of one another in broken English (where you from, what's your NAME?? -- SERIOUSLY! – I even managed to snap a picture) at that very moment, I decided I wanted my money back and I could no longer stay in the hotel this cheesy and gross. Through my complaints I received little help from the friendly front desk. She could not 'get a hold' of the manager, the person who could take care of my complaint. I considered letting my $70 go down the drain and get a nother room, but decided to lock myself in the room for the evening since I only had to endure it for another 10 hours – what a way to spend my last day in Costa Rica, right? Felt uncomfortable hanging out in my own hotel bar. I did not want to leave the hotel since they lock the doors behind you at night and have security at each entrance (such a great neighborhood, right? - If the security surrounding a place makes you feel safe, chances are you are probably not in a safe neighborhood) The walls are paper thin, but I can sleep through any noise, so that did not bother me much. I slept on top of my covers because I did not want to think about some of the god awful things that had happening in that place, in my bed.

The next morning, I woke up much earlier than necessary and headed off to the airport – I did not bother taking advantage of the free continental breakfast. All around just a bad pick on my end, a waste of $70. I would have probably been more comfortable in a hostel.This place felt like a brothel.

After the amazing life-changing week I had touring Costa Rica – Hotel Dunn was not the place for me. Definitely was not the happy ending I was expecting…

The staff is friendly, the rooms are decent and the shuttle driver was really nice, everything else was a total bust. If you have a respect for yourself, don’t waste your time at this place. Spend the extra $20 and stay at the Holiday Inn just a few blocks away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank AlliEss
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Cozy, good amenities and gives that down home feeling. Entire staff is accomodating, friendly and willing to help at any time of day or night. A special shout out for Seilyn who endured my calls to have hotel taxi at airport because of flight delays and assisted me with translations throughout stay. Room I had was smaller than I prefer and no Air but was not too warm and size not a problem. Next trip, I will reserve earlier so to get room of choice. Restaurant, bar, room, great staff ... made trip great. David B

Room Tip: Make reservations early - Dunn Inn is popular and desired Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dlbjr
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Dunn Inn for the first night of our stay and again a few days late, while traveling in Costa Rica. We rented the Executive King Suite, which was very nice, but it sat directly above the bar and was noisy. It was a Monday night and they were blasting music and no one was in the bar. We called the front desk and they turned it down a little. After traveling all day, we wanted a quiet suite to adjust to the time change. I thought the placement of the nicest room was odd, since it was so loud (until midnight). Our second night at the Dunn Inn, we stayed in the junior king suite, which was quiet & excellent, a better value in my opinion. I would stay here again. I felt secure, the staff was friendly and the inhouse restaurant & bar was decent enough. Free computer access was handy. I recommend this hotel to any traveler doing a layover in San Jose.

• Stayed June 2013