“Worst hotel service ever”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Deceptive practices - beware! This hotel will book you with one room, then upon arrival to the hotel will advise you the room is not available. They put us in a room off the lobby with no window and no air conditioner. If you complain, the manager will threaten to kick you out of the hotel. He is not fit to be a manager, talks down to people. You will receive the worse treatment here of any 3rd world country. Breakfast is mediocre consisting of bread, butter and 2 slices of fruit and coffee. If you ask for eggs, its extra. This hotel charges extra for everything. Musty old decor, dingy wood paneled walls, signs of wear and tear throughout. It is also very noisy and in a run down shanty town section of San Jose. Should you need something, like in our case we asked if we could buy bottled water at the front desk, you will be yes' ed to death. We continually asked for 3 days, and we were always told yes, yes it is coming. there were 4 women at the small front desk practically on top of each other, no offense but they were not the brightest bunch. Every time we needed something they looked so confused it was pathetic. Let's face it, bottled water is not a complicated request. On the 4th day after waiting we walked into town to buy it on our own.

Room Tip: Please do yourself a favor look elsewhere, this place will turn your trip into a bad nightmare.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank maxro
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.
I would invite you to contact me personally at 506-2222-3232, to discuss this with you further. (email is johndunninn@racsa.co.cr), since I can't recall our interaction.

Regards,

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The kindness from everybody, starting with the security when you get out of the taxi,
To the ladies at the front desk, the cleaning ladies eager to assist in any way they can,
To the waitresses and bartenders who I have to admit treat me better than at Home.
I feel like Royalty when I stay at Dunn Inn. I will be staying at Dunn Inn when I go back
To San Jose. Oh the food is great, the best value in town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Tony,

Thank you so much for posting a review about your visit! We take a great deal of pride in being a part of the downtown San Jose experience. Thank you for acknowledging the several departments that you come in touch with. If your travels bring you back to San Jose, Costa Rica, we would love to serve you again.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed August 25, 2012

First time staying at the Dunnn Inn and it will not be my last! I have stayed at Del Rey, Sportsman's and Presidente and none of them can even come close to the friendly service and clean facilities at the Hotel dunn inn.

I was upgraded to a junior suite free of charge by the GM John, and met a fantastic American guy Grand that does sales and Promotions for the inn and was by far the most gracius host that I have come across ever in my thirty years of traveling internationally and in the US.

The housekeeping and froint desk staff was all very helpful and when I needed the ride to the airport this morning at 430 am, their driver sergio was smiling and waiting for me in the lobby when I was checking out! They also have two fine restaurants and bars and great food at affordable prices! I would recommend all my friends and co-workers to make the Dunn Inn their home away from home in San Jose, CR.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear John.
It was a pleasure meeting you. I am so very pleased to know that your stay was exceptional from start to finish here at the Dunn Inn. Thank you for sharing your experience with other world travelers looking for a fabulous San Jose, Costa Rica Boutique Hotel. We do love serving people and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing that with potential travelers. Happy Trails, we hope you return to the Hotel Dunn Inn.
All the best,

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Recently spent 3 nights at this location. Cannot say enough positive about my stay. Moved there from another location rather abruptly. They only had a small room available for first night but Gen Mgr John Gomez upgraded me for following nights at no extra charge. Great staff, great facilities. Sportsbar with multiple TVs, smaller lobby bar, excellent food. Always have great specials on food & drink. Beautifully redone old mansion is very nice. The drinks are cheap, the food is very reasonable & the room rates very competitive. Located within popular entertainment district but offers a quiet home base to retreat to.
It is obvious that management has trained staff on attitude because everyone from maids to shuttle driver to bartenders to receptionists were a delight. This is the place to stay in San Jose.

Room Tip: Talk to Mgr Guy Grand or Gen Mgr John Gomez for personalized service. They are very helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank eakj45
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear eakj45,

It was a pleasure to have you with us and we are thrilled that you enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you for recognizing our staff for the work they do. They are our best asset and the ones that make a deference during our guests stay.

I will share your comments with the team and we look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I only stayed one night at this hotel on my last night in Costa Rica. I really liked this hotel a lot. It is very warm and welcoming. The staff was top notch and very friendly. I had a deluxe room on the second floor which was very quaint and cozy. Big shower, good water pressure, hot water, good WiFi, nice TV. It had a window, but since the hotel was on more of a back street, it was not that noisy. All the other positive posts are spot on. Cost was around $69 a night. A great price and value. Most importantly this hotel has "character". Just being in the hotel made me feel good. The hotel also had two restaurants that were very nice and the dinner I had was excellent. The bartenders and waitresses were just super. Two thumbs up Dunn Inn. I am glad I found your hotel. I will be back soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kenincr

Dear Kenincr,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your comments. And thank you for recognizing the bartenders and servers - we are so glad you had a chance to experience our bar and restaurant.

We welcome you back anytime!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

For a combination of excellent service, good quality and amazing value, look no further than the Hotel Dunn Inn! From charming rooms in the renovated mansion to modern suites in the new expansion, this hotel has something for everyone! It's more than just a place to stay... it's an experience!

I had originally booked at another hotel in the area, because they had a two-bedroom suite for me and my buddy. However, they only had that suite available for the last portion of our stay, so I found a room at the Dunn Inn with two beds for the first two nights. Our stay at the Dunn Inn was excellent in every way. I was especially impressed with the level of service from EVERY member of the staff, from the front desk, to management, to housekeeping, security and even the restaurant workers.

After two days, we went to Puerto Viejo and Bocas del Toro. When we returned to San Jose, we checked in to the other hotel that we originally booked. Within an hour, we checked out, paid a large cancellation fee and went straight back to the Dunn Inn, where we stayed for another 3 nights and had the same enjoyable experience.

Guy Grand and John G., the hotel managers, can often be found mingling with guests, making them feel welcome and answering any questions they have. They both went out of their way to help me with a couple issues I had in Costa Rica, completely unrelated to the hotel. The front desk girls all speak fluent English and are eager to to help with any requests. Prices for goods and services are fair and affordable and the hotel does not nickle and dime it's guests.

Just a few steps from the lobby, Rick's Cafe Americano is an awesome place to hang out and enjoy some great food and great service. We knocked back many drinks, savoured many delicious meals and shared lots of laughts with Kathy, Cindy, Carolina and the other bar girls in this modern sports bar & grill.

Lastly, if you choose to stay at the Dunn Inn, do NOT leave without getting a massage from Yorleny, their in-house massage therapist. You will experience a legitimite professional massage that is second to none! And don't let her small physique fool you... if you say "hard", it will be "HARD!" She is VERY strong! But she will adjust the pressure exactly to your liking and you will sleep like a baby afterwards.

Thanks to all of my new friends at the Hotel Dunn Inn for a very enjoyable stay. I can't wait to return again VERY SOON!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thom B

Dear Thom,

I am speechless after reading your amazing review. Thank you so much for your very kind words.

It's all about the team and you can rest assured they will be chuffed to read your comments which make all the hard work and effort they put in all worthwhile.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great Location. Excellent service since you get into the front desk. The ladies in the bar and/or restaurant are friendly and willing to help you anytime you need. Rooms are clean and recently re-done, nice flat tv's and wifi internet access 24/7.
No doubts is the best choice in San Jose downtown for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura G
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to San Jose!

Warm Regards,