“Hotel Dunn Inn is best”
Review of Hotel Dunn Inn

Hotel Dunn Inn
Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Recently spent 3 nights at this location. Cannot say enough positive about my stay. Moved there from another location rather abruptly. They only had a small room available for first night but Gen Mgr John Gomez upgraded me for following nights at no extra charge. Great staff, great facilities. Sportsbar with multiple TVs, smaller lobby bar, excellent food. Always have great specials on food & drink. Beautifully redone old mansion is very nice. The drinks are cheap, the food is very reasonable & the room rates very competitive. Located within popular entertainment district but offers a quiet home base to retreat to.
It is obvious that management has trained staff on attitude because everyone from maids to shuttle driver to bartenders to receptionists were a delight. This is the place to stay in San Jose.

Room Tip: Talk to Mgr Guy Grand or Gen Mgr John Gomez for personalized service. They are very helpful.
1  Thank eakj45
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear eakj45,

It was a pleasure to have you with us and we are thrilled that you enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you for recognizing our staff for the work they do. They are our best asset and the ones that make a deference during our guests stay.

I will share your comments with the team and we look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I only stayed one night at this hotel on my last night in Costa Rica. I really liked this hotel a lot. It is very warm and welcoming. The staff was top notch and very friendly. I had a deluxe room on the second floor which was very quaint and cozy. Big shower, good water pressure, hot water, good WiFi, nice TV. It had a window, but since the hotel was on more of a back street, it was not that noisy. All the other positive posts are spot on. Cost was around $69 a night. A great price and value. Most importantly this hotel has "character". Just being in the hotel made me feel good. The hotel also had two restaurants that were very nice and the dinner I had was excellent. The bartenders and waitresses were just super. Two thumbs up Dunn Inn. I am glad I found your hotel. I will be back soon!

1  Thank Kenincr

Dear Kenincr,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your comments. And thank you for recognizing the bartenders and servers - we are so glad you had a chance to experience our bar and restaurant.

We welcome you back anytime!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

For a combination of excellent service, good quality and amazing value, look no further than the Hotel Dunn Inn! From charming rooms in the renovated mansion to modern suites in the new expansion, this hotel has something for everyone! It's more than just a place to stay... it's an experience!

I had originally booked at another hotel in the area, because they had a two-bedroom suite for me and my buddy. However, they only had that suite available for the last portion of our stay, so I found a room at the Dunn Inn with two beds for the first two nights. Our stay at the Dunn Inn was excellent in every way. I was especially impressed with the level of service from EVERY member of the staff, from the front desk, to management, to housekeeping, security and even the restaurant workers.

After two days, we went to Puerto Viejo and Bocas del Toro. When we returned to San Jose, we checked in to the other hotel that we originally booked. Within an hour, we checked out, paid a large cancellation fee and went straight back to the Dunn Inn, where we stayed for another 3 nights and had the same enjoyable experience.

Guy Grand and John G., the hotel managers, can often be found mingling with guests, making them feel welcome and answering any questions they have. They both went out of their way to help me with a couple issues I had in Costa Rica, completely unrelated to the hotel. The front desk girls all speak fluent English and are eager to to help with any requests. Prices for goods and services are fair and affordable and the hotel does not nickle and dime it's guests.

Just a few steps from the lobby, Rick's Cafe Americano is an awesome place to hang out and enjoy some great food and great service. We knocked back many drinks, savoured many delicious meals and shared lots of laughts with Kathy, Cindy, Carolina and the other bar girls in this modern sports bar & grill.

Lastly, if you choose to stay at the Dunn Inn, do NOT leave without getting a massage from Yorleny, their in-house massage therapist. You will experience a legitimite professional massage that is second to none! And don't let her small physique fool you... if you say "hard", it will be "HARD!" She is VERY strong! But she will adjust the pressure exactly to your liking and you will sleep like a baby afterwards.

Thanks to all of my new friends at the Hotel Dunn Inn for a very enjoyable stay. I can't wait to return again VERY SOON!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thom B
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Thom,

I am speechless after reading your amazing review. Thank you so much for your very kind words.

It's all about the team and you can rest assured they will be chuffed to read your comments which make all the hard work and effort they put in all worthwhile.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great Location. Excellent service since you get into the front desk. The ladies in the bar and/or restaurant are friendly and willing to help you anytime you need. Rooms are clean and recently re-done, nice flat tv's and wifi internet access 24/7.
No doubts is the best choice in San Jose downtown for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura G
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to San Jose!

Warm Regards,
John G,

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just stayed at the Dunn Inn last week. This is the third time I stayed there. This hotel has never disappointed and the service is amazing. Guy Grand, the manager, is fantastic and everyone that works there is friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: I prefer the newer rooms over the rooms on the historical side. Both are clean however. Just my pr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cookmw

Hello cookmw,

So nice to read your comments on your recent stay with us at the Hotel Dunn Inn. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay- and that the service is amazing.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Originally when I made my reservation at Dunn Inn I reserved a room for only two nights. When I left, I had stayed six. After all, why would I look elsewhere when I had already found excellent lodging at a very fair price? The facility is built in a pair of historic residences and the design of the common areas gives one the feel of a rustic tropical mansion. The room had all the modern conveniences including air conditioning and updated bath. Did I mention clean?? The cleaning staff is busy throughout the day. And speaking of the staff, they are the best. It’s fascinating to sit in the restaurant and hear Magda going about her business in a friendly and efficient manner moving from Spanish to English and French. In the morning in the restaurant one encounters Andrea with her cheery smile working along with the engaging and attentive Xaviera , both seeing that every customer has exactly what they need.
The front desk staff members are all friendly, helpful and businesslike. (By the way, if one is dealing in U.S. currency, the exchange rate is exactly what one would find at an ATM!!) The security staff, and I think that there are two on duty at all times, are cordial yet ever vigilant. Finally, the management staff keeps the whole operation moving along so that the client is always satisfied.
The attached restaurant bar seemed to host quite a few locals; that’s always a good sign.
Should I return to San Jose, the Dunn Inn will be my first choice for lodging. On the other hand, if one wants the costly frigid sterility of an American style hotel, there’s one close by, but why bother??

Room Tip: If the sun disrupts your sleep avoid rooms with an east facing window.
1  Thank paul t

Dear Paul,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our valued customers. I will pass along your comments to our staff, especially to Andrea, Magda and Xaviera. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I swore I would never stay here again (see the other review), but during the "Festival of the Virgin of the Angels" on August 2nd, every other place I knew was full. There were torrential rains on that day, and the domestic airline, NatureAir, had to cancel some domestic flights. Even though I called to cancel, they billed my credit card for a "no-show". The new business model is failing, and they're looking for every dollar. Watch out...................

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry you feel so negative towards our hotel. At the time of reservation, you agree to certain terms and conditions, including our cancellation policy. We do understand that sometimes cancellations happen due to unforeseen circumstances and we try to work with our guests as much as possible. As you can understand all reservation made that don't show, have a strong financial impact on us, since we are a small Hotel.

Still, next time you are in San Jose, Costa Rica please let us know. You can e-mail me directly at johndunninn@racsa.co.cr. I would love for you to experience our friendly service and experience first hand how committed we are to our guests.

Kind regards,