Hotel Dunn Inn
$76
$77
$104
$90
Hotel Aranjuez(San Jose)(Great Value!)
$46
Official Hotel
$95
$78
HolidayInn.com
All reviewscosta ricacontinental breakfastceiling fancenter of san josehome away from homedowntown areafelt safelast nightairportbarriojacoearplugscabcountry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed here on our last night in Costa Rica. I must say we were a little disappointed. We had read such good things about this hotel. We stayed in a very small and cramped room with one tiny window near the ceiling that looked out into the restaurant. It was very dark with terrible lighting. It smelled a little damp. There are hardly any windows in the hotel or restaurant. We didn't want to go out in the dark around San Jose, but were weren't thrilled with sitting in our dark room all night. There was no temperature adjustments in the room, so it was hot. The breakfast that was included was very basic. It was clean and sufficient, but there are probably better options out there for $80 per night.
On the good side, the staff was all very friendly and helpful, and the guard at the front definitely made us feel safe in what seemed to be a little bit of a sketchy part of town.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marci M
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your stay at the Dunn Inn and your comment on Tripadvisor.
We very much regret that we haven't fully meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies. Usually we receive very high comments. But we do agree that we are a special Hotel, since we exist in what use to be an old mansion, build in the early 1900 and we tried to keep the integrity of the building when turning it in to a Hotel. So some of the rooms are a little cozier, but with a lot of character. Next time you come to San Jose, we invite you to stay in one of our new additions. Brand new rooms offering a more modern style and with more space.
Regarding feeling safe, I can assure you that we are in a safe part of town. Since I have been here, we never had any problem, us or any of our guests.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon to the Dunn Inn Hotel.
Best regards,
John Gomes, General Manager

Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Grate place to stay went there to spend my birthday did not regret it the staff made me feel do special John G was wonderful Tatiana war grate and yalany was wonderful with her magic fingers best massage ever thank you all for making my trip a grate one food was very good thank you Oscar

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Nordia
John G, General Manager at Hotel Dunn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind and most valuable comments. I will be so pleased to share them with our team of associates and let them know your observations.....Please let us know when you are back in town or if I may assist you with any future arrangements at the Hotel Dunn Inn!
warm regard
GM
Have a great day!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was in need of accommodations in San Jose, Costa Rica, for a 4 day trip and decided to give the Hotel Dunn Inn a try based upon the positive reviews on this site. I was not disappointed. Everything about the hotel exceeded my expectations, from the magnificent room (Room 28, which is one of the newer rooms, see the attached pictures), to the outstanding service and good food. Breakfast was included and the hotel has a tropic bar and newly opened sports bar. The hotel is well located and close to downtown. High speed wireless internet access is available throughout the hotel and that came in handy and allowed me to have online access on my iPad in my room as well as in the bar and restaurant. John G who has been the manager since November '11 was easily accessible when needed. In addition, Guy Grand, a concierge of sorts, was available to assist with any needs I had, whether it be recommendations regarding night life, making bank or pharmacy runs, or just advice regarding local attractions. Guy has an encyclopedic knowledge of the environs and was an invaluable resource during my stay. In addition to all of this, I found the other guests to be friendly and willing to share insights. One guest who has been a frequent visitor to San Jose gave me a tour of some of the other hotels in the area and none was up to the standard of the Dunn Inn. One hotel, just a block or two away, has a gated entrance (you had to be buzzed in) and nearly all guest rooms are without windows. I believe the Dunn Inn is suitable for both male travelers looking for local entertainment as well as couples or families just looking for a place to spend a night or two in town. Security was in place 24/7 and at no time did I feel unsafe. The surroundings are safe during the day and I took many long walks without a problem. However, as is the case anywhere near downtown, I would not recommend doing so at night. In that regard, taxis are plentiful and I had no problem journeying to and from by taxi at night. The entire staff was friendly and helpful, and English was readily spoken or understood by all. I will be staying here again and highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for accommodations in the city.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, but if you want the equivalent of a 5 star room, then ask for one of the 4 newly added rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lowell T

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for staying with us and your comment.
Glad to know you are happy with your stay and our staff is looking forward for your next visit.

John G. - GM

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent our first night in San Jose and Costa Rica at Hotel Dunn Inn.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Once checked in they were very happy to describe the locality and even recommend a bar/restaurant for us. Our early-morning checkout meant that we missed breakfast.However, we were pleasantly surprised when we were given a take-out breakfast!

The room was on the small side and fairly basic but had lots of character. We had a corner room and so had lots of light. A downside was that the street outside did get quite noisy in the evening, which meant we couldn't have the windows open.

The bathroom was very small but functional and clean.

The hotel bar was busy on the night we stayed (it was Cinco de Mayo). Although vibrant and lively, we didn't hear the bar at all from our room.

The location is central and you can walk to the main shopping district and the National Museum in a matter of minutes. Like much of San Jose, it can get quite gritty in the evening.

A great little hotel, with charm, character and friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this excellent feedback. I will be feeding this back to my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future at the Hotel Dunn Inn.

Rgds
GM

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I want to thank Dunn Inn staff unfer the leadership and management of John G for making my stay in San Jose a memorable one.
I stayed at the hotel for several nights with a group of friends and we were all impressed by the great service, good and reasonably priced food, nice and clean rooms, and a fantastic bed (especiably important ot me due to back problems). For leisure there is a great sports bar with live shows at some of the nights, from Mexican country music to professional latin dancers.
Every request was treated with upmost efficiency and always with a smile. Nothing was too difficult.
I will definitely return, as the Dunn Inn has become my only option in San Jose.

Room Tip: The new wing is more modern and very nice
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Dunn Inn on TripAdvisor and with the travel community. We are so glad we are succeeding to make you feel happy during your stays with us. All our team will be at your full disposable anytime you visit San Jose, Costa Rica and always ready to accommodate you.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best regards,