“Cristina a good apt/hotel staffed by excellent people!”

Apartotel Suites Cristina
Ranked #19 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I selected this apt/hotel because it was recommended to me by the dental place I went to (Nova Dental). They didn't steer me wrong! From the very first phone call (and emails), to all the time I was there, they were excellent. Since I arrived there early on a Sunday morning (took the red-eye from Los Angeles), the first thing I did was have their free every morning breakfast. It was very good (included silver dollar pancakes, beans and rice, eggs, plantains, cereal, mangoes, toast and coffee). I would have been disappointed if everything they served was typically American (by throwing in the local cuisine they made it special).

Anything I asked for they instantly provided. For example, after my implant surgery I required various small ice packs for my jaw and upper lip. They instantly put those together and brought them to my room. The units which include a small kitchen are an especially good idea if you are having any kind of dental work done. You have so much more flexibility with respect to what and when you eat, storage of ice packs in the freezer, microwave cooking so your food is just the right temperature, etc. The room was impeccable although it did have a slight humid smell (my only complaint and why I didn't rate it excellent).

As I mentioned, everyone was excellent but some that went beyond even excellent were Esteban and Elizabeth at the front desk who helped me with everything (half day trips, dental visits, restaurants, etc.), Teresa who cheerfully made breakfast for us most mornings and got all my clothing washed, dried and back to my room in a couple of hours, and finally Roberta who helped me figure out why I couldn't print my boarding pass (saving me a lot of time and frustration). This was an excellent choice and it made even dental surgery a good experience.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the floor plans online (before you select a room) so you can get exactly what y...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tony E

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I loved the place, the price and the terrific breakfasts out by the pool. A comfortable 20 minute walk to Dr Cavellinis office so bring your sneakers but watch your step because the San Jose streets/sidewalks are poorly constructed. Nothing fancy... but all our needs were met.
The staff speaks very good English.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kathnac
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Friendly Staff, and clean modern spacious rooms made our stay very comfortable while we were having dental work done in San Jose.the neighborhood is better than most of the hotels that cater to dental tourism and we had very little problem communicating with the personnel.the complimentary breakfast is excellent with a wide range of choices of food and times served. We tried the Olivo restaurant for lunch, and that is the one thing that that I was not to impressed with. Maybe we are spoiled but the quality of the Italian food was poor, and the prices very high , save your money there are many good restaurants in the area offering better food at better prices.However we do not connect the restaurant with the hotel , we will defiantly be staying there when we return for future dental work.. For the money it is top shelf.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper (which I am not ) stay away from the rooms next to the breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I recently spent a week at Suites Cristina while getting dental work done in Costa Rica. This is not an upscale, elegant hotel, but it is comfortable and clean, staff are friendly and helpful, breakfasts are wonderful and the hotel's restaurant, l'Olivo, is excellent. The free airport pick-up and drop-off add to the price/value ratio. For an extended stay, it was nice to have a bedroom plus a small kitchen/living area. We enjoyed the brightness of our 5th floor room, but the elevator was knocked out by a storm midweek and was not repaired by the time we left, so if climbing stairs is an issue, do request a lower floor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol M
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Excellent service from the entire staff: From Elizabeth, Marco, Roy, Roberta and Sylvia (just to name a few)! Not to mention Sergio, the General Manager! I will be in Costa Rica in January 2014 and I definitely will be staying at this Hotel. Free pick up from the airport (and return to airport also). This hotel had EVERYTHING I needed. Browse the website and you will see what I am writing about. I have stayed in quite a few hotels in San Jose, and by far this is the BEST one! Price, location, and service will have me staying there again and again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Service is what makes the difference and we found that our every question was answered; every request (they were reasonable) fulfilled and all done pleasantly. Although we're not cooks, having a full kitchen, especially a big (relative to mini-fridges in most hotels) refrigerator. After having dental surgery, knowing there was a freezer with ice for ice packs and a place to store ice cream (easy to eat) was a relief.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HPS-TX
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'm in Costa Rica right now (Nov. 2013) and this is my third stay at the Cristina. I was here in 2009 by myself and in 2011 with my 80-year-old dad ... and I remember now he stayed at the Cristina a few years before that on a trip with my mom. So my family are fans, at this point.

The rooms and suites are lovely and the public spaces are gorgeous and meticulously maintained. If you are traveling for medical or dental care, the Cristina has become a hub -- no matter when you go, you will find other Americans and international visitors who are in Costa Rica for health and dental care.

The free breakfast buffet is awesome. The staff is friendly and helpful.

I've been going to Prisma Dental since 2004; both my parents have been to Prisma and I've recommended my dentists to many friends and acquaintances as well. I understand from reading reviews that some people have been unhappy with their pricing but I'd say that sometimes you pay a little more for experience and quality. I'm not knocking anyone else's choice, but I'm thrilled with Prisma. A bonus of the Cristina is that it's in reasonable walking distance of the Prisma clinic.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not get great wireless service, so if that is important to you be sure to ask when you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo