“Well Maintained Apartotel”

Ranked #18 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Dunellen, New Jersey
“Well Maintained Apartotel”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

To All my travelers give this place a try you will not be Disapointed. Just like living in a apartment. this is the best place I have stayed while in Sasn Jose the rates are reasonable and if you pay cash they discount your rate. Its in a very quiet and safe neighborhood. The staff is very helpful they can arrange tours or provide you with information about costa Rica. Breakfast is served Daily and it is very Delicious. The rooms are cleaned daily. Also there is a pool if you like to go swimming or relax and get a suntan. This Hotel has everthing you need including a Electronic safe. The Hotel front desk is gluent In English as well as Spanish. its very close where you need to go there are Taxi everwhere or you can hop on a bus. There is a Subway and a Burger king within walking distance next to Sabana Park

Room Tip: if your traveling solo or as a couple the Standard room is big Enough with plenty of room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jj5627

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Czech first
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Four of us stayed here four times during our trip and it was wonderful. We used it as our hub to venture out on tours to six locations around Costa Rica. We left our big suitcases here and they took great care of us. The rooms were very clean and roomy. The food was great and everyone was very helpful and friendly. The location is centralized. Easy to get to good restaurants, San Jose sites, a large grocery store within a few blocks, and a safe neighborhood. Wonderful value!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building (like 222) are very nice!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I booked blind based on reviews here and it was our best accommodation in Costa Rica (from 5 places we stayed in during our visit to CR). We (2 couples) stayed in a standard 2 bedroom suite. The kitchen is adequately stocked and the fridge is big. The beds are pretty comfortable and there is lots of room for hanging up clothes if staying a while. There are places to eat nearby like the trusty Rosti Pollos. The supermarket is 15-20 mins walk away. Staff are friendly and speak good English. The breakfast is fresh and varied. You can have gallo pinto, fruit, cereal, drinking yoghurt, bread, tea, juice, coffee, etc. I would have tried out the pool (cleaned daily) but December is a little colder in San Jose. The Plaza de la Cultura is 2,500 (or $5) by taxi. Recommended.

Room Tip: Not on a busy road and don't expect views.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank adamb99
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I think I left a little of my heart there. This was my second trip to San Jose, CR. I was
so pleased to be welcomed by everyone. I requested a smaller room this time, as I was by myself the first week. Again, the room was clean and fresh. I can not stress how important it was to me,that Elizabeth, at the front desk, could answer all my questions. She knows about all the tours, about prices and especially how to get around the city. Ramon, the driver, was always available and always with a smile. Breakfast as usual by the pool, was excellent. I also want to mention, there was never a moment of not being safe at the Cristina.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views, and stairs.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank emprex
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I've been staying in this hotel for already 5 years. I come to San Jose often for business and the service is outstanding. What I remember the most is that i forgot a charger at the hotel and they sent it via fedex to my house, I told them to let me pay them with credit card via phone but they refused and kindly ask that I pay for it on my next visit (which I did of course!). It's those details that make Apartotel Cristina my #1 choice. Also, breakfast and coffee are delicious! I only have good things to say about it!

Room Tip: rooms next to reception can be a bit noisy but nothing major!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank surge527
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We have stayed at Cristina two separate times while my husband was having dental care.

They are always accommodating. We even were able to get a blender to make a smoothie, since it was challenging for my husband to chew with his new implants. They have a free safe deposit box in each room. They will store your large bags, if you want to take some short side trips to the Pacific or Caribbean. Internet was perfect; I was able to pay bills, while we were away and listen to messages made to our home phone. Local phone calls are free, but only to other land lines, not to cell phones.

If you are adventurous, it's easy to take the local bus to downtown - only 165 colones ($.33). Just walk to the Sabana Park. The bus stop is right next to ICE, the national electric utility company. The bus will say "Sabana Estadio". You take it to the last stop, where the National Theater and Grand Hotel Costa Rica are located. It takes about 30 minutes. To come back, get on the same stop; the bus says "Sabana Estadio" and get off at ICE headquarters. Very easy.

We feel like the staff is family - very friendly and always looking after you. Elizabeth is very helpful. If there is something wrong with the room, needs a light bulb, TV not working, or can't figure out the phone message system, they immediately remedy the situation.

The Costa Rican breakfast is a buffet of hot and cold food. You won't need to buy lunch. Their coffee is superb and it's available 24/7 along with tea and herbal tea.

There are a lot of TV stations and english speaking movies. However, they still do not have Fox News.

If you pay in cash, you get a discount.

We would definitely recommend this to family and friends.

Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed a week November 2010 when I was just starting my dental work. I stayed at other places twice in 2011 to experience more of San Jose. Everytime I wish I had stayed again at the Cristina. It's an unbeatable value for the price. We still visited the excellent restaurants in the neighborhood which is very walkable and close to Sabana Park and the supermarket. Next visit, for sure, we will return to the Cristina.

Room Tip: Room facing the street was a little noisy in the morning, but we had the widows open. Rooms inside a...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple