“Stay Away at all cost”
Review of Hotel Cacts

Hotel Cacts
Ranked #47 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Room was filthy. No hot water. Cobwebs in every corner and dead bugs hanging from them. Walls in the bathroom were bulging from water damage. No AC (but that doesn't figure into this review).
When I complained that the hot water wasn't working and the room was filthy, they just smiled and didn't even offer a new room or explaination.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Good is probably as good as Hotel Cacts might receive. I am here at the first weeks of rainy season (beginning of Aug). There are 5 of approx 40 rooms filled and I wonder why the put a guest right next to me (someone who runs television loudly LATE). The Manager Sra. Elecxa and her grown daughter Gretchen are too nice and accommodating to complain. The speak perfect English. Since I am here for some medical tourism (this is a second time to San Jose for same) I can say that "Ticos" certainly are hospitable and indeed appreciate North American neighbors who speak some Spanish. Practically, the beds are low to the ground and firm. Water pressure isn't the best. The place is CLEAN and smells sanitary. The gardening /decor is placid and inviting. Free breakfast is a value. The neighbor is safe and semi-quiet. There is police station across the street and you will hear the occasional shift-change police siren test. Didn't bother me. Neighboring businesses starting at 6:45-7:00am did. Granted I am slightly medicated and slightly sleepy. I will stay here again this winter when I come back for more medical/dental tourism.

Room Tip: Lower might be better as their is a roof-top garden/patio/breakfast area. Concrete construction and...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have been staying at Hotel Cacts since 1996. It has greatly evolved from moderate to excellent for the money involved, especially if you are travelling with a group. I teach a course in Tropical Biology, and I always insist on staying here (I use Innova Adventure Travel for ALL bookings, which is an EXCELLENT company; the owner, Laura Barrantes Requeno, can arrange an adventure travel or a romantic getaway) with my students. It is quiet, safe, very accessible to the Central Avenue and a variety of restaurants. There is a very nice swimming pool (if you have time to enjoy it), a great breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs, gallo pinto, and coffee and excellent juices, and free wireless internet. Alexia (the owner) and all the staff are extremely helpful and nice. This may not be a great place for older folks (there are no elevators and quite a few steps), but I stay there even when I'm not with students. I recommend Hotel Cacts to anyone who plans to stay in San Jose...Prof. Gregory J. McConnell, Dept. of Biology, Emory & Henry College, Emory, VA.

Room Tip: Any of the newer rooms are great; I think they only give the older rooms if they are over-booked, bu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Gregory M
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The hotel’s overall structure is quite nice; it has a nice little pool, a roof terrace where you can have breakfast. The police station is right across from it so you can feel safe and they keep it lock at night so you know you are definitely safe (it is around a not very nice area, but then again San Jose overall is not very nice). The rooms need to be updated but other than that is a descent place to stay. They also have free parking..you may have to move the homeless guy who chills right in front of the parking place though =S
The best part are the people who run this place as they are super nice and friendly. I didn't have a gps and they drew maps and clearly explained how to get to places.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in June 2012. It is by no means fancy, but is located between Sabana Park and downtown and had everything I needed. The Superior Rooms are an improvement on the Regular Rooms, and if you can get a Superior for the same price as a Regular, you'll get a good deal by San Jose standards. I found the staff very friendly, everywhere was kept neat and clean, and the free breakfast was good. The very small swimming pool with a an even smaller pool above that splashed gently into it was an unexpected bonus in such a modest hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Our 12 day stay in this hotel was a nightmare.
The echoing of the noises from this multiple story stone building,
and the loud flushing sounds coming from plumbing pipes(if you happen to be staying on the lower floor)- made this place unbearable.
The stone stairs for three levels was a work out,and unsafe for older people.
We just wanted to be out of there,but even that was impossible,because they took our money on Day 1,....and there was
" NO REFUND for any reason,under any circumstances".
When we wanted to change to an other hotel,they told us that we could have paid paid day to day..,and it was too late after we have paid them to get any money back.
They were quick as a flash to make us sign away our money at the time of checking in for the whole duration ,-for a stay which felt like resigned to an dungeon...
Large group of backpackers was arriving almost nightly and leaving next morning with all the noises that those rolling cases on rough stone and echoing voices can make...

So,first make sure you can stand the place before you pay ahead for more days.
There is BETTER ONE -for lesser charge..

Room Tip: Second floor,at the back,on the opposite side of breakfast place.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank whitecastle
Reviewed May 2, 2012

What an incredible first trip to Costa Rica!

I was there to see Dr Marcos for dental work and it was very convenient due to being right next door literally foot steps away!

The staff at Hotel Cacts made me feel safe and were always there for me when I needed anything.

The free breakfast in the morning was something I always looked forward to before going to bed at night.

The only complaint I had was the internet as I had to move around to certain spots in my room to pick a good signal at times. Oh yeah and its not the hotels fault but the birds in Costa Rica start chirping VERY LOUDLY every morning at 4am.... BRING EAR PLUGS!! ha!!

Thank you Hotel Cacts! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 17 for 5 days.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo