“Pretty descent”
Review of Hotel Cacts

Hotel Cacts
Ranked #50 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The hotel’s overall structure is quite nice; it has a nice little pool, a roof terrace where you can have breakfast. The police station is right across from it so you can feel safe and they keep it lock at night so you know you are definitely safe (it is around a not very nice area, but then again San Jose overall is not very nice). The rooms need to be updated but other than that is a descent place to stay. They also have free parking..you may have to move the homeless guy who chills right in front of the parking place though =S
The best part are the people who run this place as they are super nice and friendly. I didn't have a gps and they drew maps and clearly explained how to get to places.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cacts

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in June 2012. It is by no means fancy, but is located between Sabana Park and downtown and had everything I needed. The Superior Rooms are an improvement on the Regular Rooms, and if you can get a Superior for the same price as a Regular, you'll get a good deal by San Jose standards. I found the staff very friendly, everywhere was kept neat and clean, and the free breakfast was good. The very small swimming pool with a an even smaller pool above that splashed gently into it was an unexpected bonus in such a modest hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Our 12 day stay in this hotel was a nightmare.
The echoing of the noises from this multiple story stone building,
and the loud flushing sounds coming from plumbing pipes(if you happen to be staying on the lower floor)- made this place unbearable.
The stone stairs for three levels was a work out,and unsafe for older people.
We just wanted to be out of there,but even that was impossible,because they took our money on Day 1,....and there was
" NO REFUND for any reason,under any circumstances".
When we wanted to change to an other hotel,they told us that we could have paid paid day to day..,and it was too late after we have paid them to get any money back.
They were quick as a flash to make us sign away our money at the time of checking in for the whole duration ,-for a stay which felt like resigned to an dungeon...
Large group of backpackers was arriving almost nightly and leaving next morning with all the noises that those rolling cases on rough stone and echoing voices can make...

So,first make sure you can stand the place before you pay ahead for more days.
There is BETTER ONE -for lesser charge..

Room Tip: Second floor,at the back,on the opposite side of breakfast place.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank whitecastle
Reviewed May 2, 2012

What an incredible first trip to Costa Rica!

I was there to see Dr Marcos for dental work and it was very convenient due to being right next door literally foot steps away!

The staff at Hotel Cacts made me feel safe and were always there for me when I needed anything.

The free breakfast in the morning was something I always looked forward to before going to bed at night.

The only complaint I had was the internet as I had to move around to certain spots in my room to pick a good signal at times. Oh yeah and its not the hotels fault but the birds in Costa Rica start chirping VERY LOUDLY every morning at 4am.... BRING EAR PLUGS!! ha!!

Thank you Hotel Cacts! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 17 for 5 days.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ROBERTLBEUKEMA
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Rooms are modest, functional, and clean. Breakfast ever morning up stairs, very nice, eggs, gallo pinto, buffet of fruit and juice, toast and 24 hour coffee and tea available also Included. No matter where we travel, ( I worked for an airline all my life ) I always got spray Lysol and did the hotel rooms and beds and bath - then enjoyed the freshness for the rest of my stay and felt secure about the added personal sanitary efforts of the spray Lysol.

Next door is one of the best and best priced dentists in the country, we had everything done - implants, bone grafts, bridge work, an instant implant what was like a miracle on our grand daughter also, and saved a $ 5 to $ 10 dollar cab ride each and every day.

It is also close to down town, and we walked it often to do some little shopping and looking about. The Cacts Hotel desk owner arraned for some tour companies to come to the hotel to pick us up for river rapids tour, also a boat to a Pacific Island and feast there, and to a dinner in the mountains surrounding the city with a show of old Costa Rica dancing. They were all great.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are cheap - give away prices - but the markets are not neither is much of anything else either. We have fantastic Chinese buffets here that are not matched there, not even close, so be careful about that.

Room Tip: The best room is a matter of your own preference.
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Fl0ridaG0ldenGirl
Reviewed June 20, 2011

i killed two cockroaches in the bathroom! the hole room smeel very very bad, nobady carried my suitcase, the shower and the sink were dropping, the blankets were too DIRTY , the toilet papper was the cheaper i ever used i paid 60$ it was a terrible experience y leave next day and for 40$ more (112$) y found the hotel of my dreams...! Rincon del valle close to the stadium! i recomend it!...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gigi2831
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Very secure hotel with clean sheets and towels. Bedding is old. Breakfast is included which is nice. All in all, good value. I wouldn't go walking around outside of the hotel though.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends